Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,294 times

Advertisements

Another former Illini right here! (Although I was anti-Chief, so I guess I should say "Illinois" rather than "Illini"!)

The other posters are right: the areas just north and just south of downtown are the best for the "liberal" types. I live in Tobin Hill, and there are a good handful of lesbians living right on my block. (Across the street and next door, to be exact.) The neighborhood also holds most of the city's gay bars, although I think only one (The Electric Company) is mainly lesbian. (The others that I know are The Bermuda Triangle and The Wax Bar, but those are in different neighborhoods, but not too far--I also hear stories of lesbian bars in deep south San Antonio, but I'm not familiar with that part of the city.) The Esperanza Peace and Justice Center, a primarily woman- and *****-oriented activist organization, is also located in Tobin Hill. Too bad you're not here this weekend: the International Women's Day March is their big even for the year.

San Antonio is more liberal than people imagine, at least in the center, south, east, and west sides. (The north and north central areas are more conservative.) It's a little dingy and a little sparse, but it's warm and friendly and quirky and unique. It's also one of the largest Latino-majority cities in the country, and that "presence" is felt in just about every aspect of city-life, which makes it very different from Austin and other big Texas cities. Just don't expect the glamor, shine, and hustle and bustle of a major metropolis!

Tell us some more about what kinds of restaurants or bars you'd like to check out, and we could be more specific.

Welcome!

PS--check out sacurrent.com before you come--it's the website of the alternative weekly, and it will give you a good sense of restaurants and other goings-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
The Blue Star is great - lots of galleries to explore. They host art shows pretty frequently.

Rosario's is a cool Mexican restaurant. It's at 910 S. Alamo, close to the Blue Star and to KW/Southtown. Website: San Antonio Mexican Restaurant : Rosario's Restaurant y Cantina They have GREAT margaritas and their salsa is arguably the best in town. They have a lot of live music too.

If you want to venture out of downtown a little bit, check out W.D. Deli for lunch. Website: W. D. Deli. It's on Broadway, close to Mahncke Park, one of the neighborhoods mentioned above.

If you want to do classic San Antonio kitschy tourist, check out Mi Tierra, right downtown. Website: Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery It's been open 24/7 since like 1942 or something. It's ALWAYS decorate to the teeth with all kinds of Mexican decorations, and Christmas stuff, and I don't know what all. The food's pretty darned good, too, for it being a tourist destination. Watch out for the strolling mariachis!

Enjoy your visit!

ACK! Forgot to mention the museum reach of the Riverwalk. Website: The Museum Reach of the San Antonio Riverwalk The Pearl Brewery complex is there - a shopping/living/dining neighborhood on the grounds of the old Pearl Brewery. The Twig is there, which is a wonderful indie bookstore. There are several restaurants too that are yum.
Our new San Antonio CD hostess.
Very good job

Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Our new San Antonio CD hostess.
Very good job
I agree. CD won't let me rep again so soon, but +1 in spirit for some mighty fine advice.

BN

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,635 times
I am a Realtor in town and I have sold a homes to a gay couples in Tobin Hills. I think anywhere in that area would fit what you are looking for. San Antonio is so spread out that there isn't an alternative "district" like some other areas. I am originally from Oklahoma City and yes you may laugh, but a huge gay population and there was an alternative/funky district. You might want to check out the restaurants in La Cantera and the Stone Oak area around Loop 1604 and Hwy. 281.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
It's funny you see a lot of posts come through where people are looking for gay friendly neighborhoods. Someone should do a map outlining areas for gay, straight, and bisexual

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
RGJ and BN, thank you! It's easy to welcome someone to a town you love, from a town you love! And thanks for the reps too - people repped me for you guys!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
The Blue Star is great - lots of galleries to explore. They host art shows pretty frequently.

Rosario's is a cool Mexican restaurant. It's at 910 S. Alamo, close to the Blue Star and to KW/Southtown. Website: San Antonio Mexican Restaurant : Rosario's Restaurant y Cantina They have GREAT margaritas and their salsa is arguably the best in town. They have a lot of live music too.

If you want to venture out of downtown a little bit, check out W.D. Deli for lunch. Website: W. D. Deli. It's on Broadway, close to Mahncke Park, one of the neighborhoods mentioned above.

If you want to do classic San Antonio kitschy tourist, check out Mi Tierra, right downtown. Website: Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery It's been open 24/7 since like 1942 or something. It's ALWAYS decorate to the teeth with all kinds of Mexican decorations, and Christmas stuff, and I don't know what all. The food's pretty darned good, too, for it being a tourist destination. Watch out for the strolling mariachis!

Enjoy your visit!

ACK! Forgot to mention the museum reach of the Riverwalk. Website: The Museum Reach of the San Antonio Riverwalk The Pearl Brewery complex is there - a shopping/living/dining neighborhood on the grounds of the old Pearl Brewery. The Twig is there, which is a wonderful indie bookstore. There are several restaurants too that are yum.
Blue Star Brewery area! And lots of bike riding events ... Bike to Bay...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Will you be moving for a job or just looking for a change of place?

I'll reiterate what others have said - overall it's very friendly, and plenty of gay/alternative/artsy/funky etc areas. In some pockets it can seem incredibly conservative, and in others, like where I live, you wonder how a conservative can ever be elected in this state. It's a little liberal Bubble.

I live in Lavaca, sometimes called King William's Servants' quarters . Lavaca+ King William and now SoFlo makes up the area known as Southtown. We have a lot of gay neighbors, some of whom are couples with kids. Definitely give it a look. I also agree with others who suggested the near north nieghborhoods (Tobin Hill, Mahncke Park etc).

When you come to SA, yes, check out Blue Star Complex for art and have some beer, but save your meals for another place (they're ok as far as pub food goes, but there is better for a short stay). Try La Frite on S. Alamo, Azuca just across from La Frite, have another beer at The Friendly Spot and a small street taco for a snack, check out Frosted Delights across the street, have breakfast at Taco Haven or El Mirador, listen to some music at the San Antonio cafe (formerly known as Casbeers on S. Alamo), lunch at Madhatter's. check out art at any of the galleries around. All are an easy walk in you're in King William. I'm not a huge fan of Rosario's, but their margaritas and salsa are good. I prefer the food at Azuca (higher end/Nuevo Latino) or Taco Haven (Standard Tex-mex).

Side note: shall we take bets to see how long it is before a certain former resident states his "Sent a DM, etc"?

Last edited by Chaka; 03-04-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Chaka: Shhh...don't encourage him.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
Illini84 - Just visited San Antonio this last week from San Diego and my wife and I are definitely moving for many reasons. We both are life residents of California and are excited to relocate. In SD we have a very large LGBT population and from what I have experienced so far in San Antonio I dont think the city has the same sort of presence, but I will tell you that Texans are NOT as judgmental as Californians. So I hope you are able to live comfortably in any neighborhood!

Let's talk biking... not so much. haha. At least maybe from where you are I are coming from - this was a big deal in my decision. I was hoping to see commuters on the road mid week and maybe some pace lines during weekend mornings. But absolutely discouraged by blog rankings putting SA as one of the lowest cities for bike commuting - so I am glad I went there to figure out why that is by driving the city and visiting a couple bike shops. So here is my impression A) the city is a huge sprawl B) more casual city bike/mountain biker types C) Some main roads do not have bike lanes D) there are no mountains to climb which means aggressive cyclists are not likely to live there. (of course, this is all just first glance).

So what do people do - the riders are in the neighborhoods, they know their way around the city by side streets. Also, as a side note drivers seemed a lot more courteous and defensive (safer) in Texas. In fact, on that same ranking of bike cities Portland has the highest commuters - wow, that is if its ok for you to commute in huge rain storms during traffic or in the dark when the sun rises at 9 and sets at 4. How about D.C. - they all commute because in the triangle thats the only way to get around. Here in SD we have a huge bike presence but we also have little crosses and shrines along our bike routes where cyclists have been mushed. In other words, I began to criticize the accuracy of these rankings as a predictor of how well one could get around San Antonio by bike [ Reference Bike Commute Tips Blog: U.S. Census: 10 best, worst cities for bike commuting ]

So what did I leave with, well I am on a home and job search also - and I only ride road right now. The city of SA has this metro plan to increase biking and make bike routes. This map http://www.sametroplan.org/Bike_Walk...ikeMap2009.pdf is what I am using to figure out my home to work/home to store/and big loop routes. That is - I want to be able to ride to work within 20 miles, walk to a large store from home, and be able to do 40-80 miles on a safe route from my front door.

Alright, I hope we run into each other some day at a cool bar or see each other out on the road somewhere. And, if anyone that actually lives in SA has any more insight on riding I am all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio