Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,618,666 times

Advertisements

For all those looking to build a new house here in San Antonio, or anywhere else, check out this web site on what things you need to inspect during the building process. Go to inspectpros.com/new%20construction.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 AM

266 posts, read 703,135 times
a very smart thing to do. i have looked at many homes in SA being built. more often than not im horrified over the crapy workmanship i see..yikes!

great link steel man, thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Inspecting New Houses

If you see something that is not right. Take a picture and contact the builder's supervisor for the house. Demand that it gets fixed. This is what I did for my daughter when she had a house being built in this area. Remember, these are not craftsman building your house....even expensive ones.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM

679 posts, read 2,824,292 times
I was thinking about hiring a private inspector to monitor the build. Have no idea what that would cost, but I think it would be a wise decision. I'm scared to death of all the shortcuts I read about contractors taking.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
TAKE PICTURES during the ENTIRE building process. Especially the plumbing in the walls. This came in VERY handy on our second house after the plumber cut a hole in one wall to find no plumbing and started to do another until he found it. STOP!!!! I have pictures. Sure'nof, there in my pictures was plain as day where the plumbing was in the wall. Whew....... Of course all of that mess could have been avoided if the dummies that put in the sheetrock w/ their nailguns would not have missed the "dumbie plates" that are put in for things like this. But noooo, they put 3 nails into the plumbing. One in the cold water pipe and two in the hot water pipe. URGH!!! Not the brightest in the bunch.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,088,375 times
Good tips everyone.

The builder of the house we are hoping to build is sending us a copy of the architects floor plan. The one on-line is not to scale & we need the scale plans in order to make changes for wheelchair accessibility. We're going to be making changes to plumbing, doorways, window heights, etc.

I agree with taking pictures of the entire building process (hopefully, we'll be able to do that considering our wheelchair accessibility issues ie., temporary housing) particularly plumbing. When we did our bathroom remodel (totally gutted down to the studs & looked at the foundation for several days) we took pics of everything. Good thing as when it came time to put in the safety rails, they couldn't remember where the 2x4 reinforcements were. Thank goodness for the pics & measurements we kept.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM

momof2dfw, how lucky that you were there to catch him before he could do it. Oh my goodness. See, it's things like that that really scare me. I know I sure don't want to make a nusiance of myself or get in the way, but there is no other way to do it. That was really a smart thing to do.

Sam, I'll have to do that, too, if my mom is still with me. She is in a wheelchair and I will need to make the doorways larger. Also, I will be looking down the line at myself. I will have the house built so that it will accomodate me when I am elderly. I intend to put an attached garage on the side and it will have a ramp inside that ramps up one step into the kitchen or laundry room, so that I can get into the house.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Handicap House Tips

texasdreamin, et al.
Here are some links with helpful tips for either building or converting to handicap housing:

http://www.handicapaccessiblehouse.com/components.html (broken link)
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/111...ty_Housing.asp

Here is a nice site that has almost all types of construction terms.

http://www.greatamericanhomeplans.co...on_terms.shtml

Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 AM

I took a look at them all. Great, great information. Bless your kind, helpful heart. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: