U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM

30 posts, read 20,712 times

Advertisements

My landlord requires me to pay part of my cable bill to them and the another part to Time Warner. Thatís also the case with electric. At the end of every month, I have to send out five checks. If I get the reserve space I want, it will be six checks every month. I tried combining amounts but that screws up their booking and I donít get credited. Is this the way most landlords handle billing in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 AM

5,077 posts, read 4,379,800 times
I have never in my life heard of that. Either apartments are all bills paid or you pay your whole bill on your own directly to the company. Some apartment complexes will make you pay your water and waste bill to them, but you don't have to pay anything extra directly to the city.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 AM

428 posts, read 522,701 times
My Ex wife lives in an apartment that just started charging everyone in the complex for cable (65 channels),...her bill is $30,...also I noticed her electric and water bills are really cheap compared to my home utility bills.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 4,379,800 times
It sounds like your wife is paying a discounted rate which would mean the apartment complex is paying part of her bills. I've never heard of paying part of your bill to the landlord and then the other part to the utility company.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM

875 posts, read 1,054,657 times
I live in a complex where I pay them the full water/waste bill, but that's it. Everything else is between me and the service provider.

They better be supplying you with free checks, because that is nonsense.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 AM

24 posts, read 23,169 times
Sounds fishy

Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,529,450 times
I have heard of some apartment complexes where they include a basic Cable package with the rent, then if the tenant wants a higher-end package, they have to pay the additional amount out of pocket.

Pretty much the same thing with electric, although I think it is less common. The monthly rent includes an allowance for electric, and if the tenant goes over, they pay the additional amount.

I know "All Bills Paid" apartment complexes used to be quite common around here, but not anymore. Many older complexes were built with master meters, but I believe individual meters became a requirement at some point, and even the older complexes had to phase them in. The problem with fully paid electric/gas was that tenants had no incentive to use energy wisely.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
Are you paying for uprgraded cable/internet service? Are the two electric bills showing usage and charging for usage? Do you know how to read your electric meter so you can compare the usage?

All of the apartments I ever had here charged for water. It had to be paid separate from the rent. Some places charged three or five dollars for trash but that was added onto the rent. Other than that, we were billed from the electric company for our electricity, and the cable company for our cable.

What does your lease say about these bills? Do you think you're being double-charged, or maybe having to pay a percentage of the electricity usage in the common areas? If it was all bills paid, it seems like they'd have you writing one check each month that included the cable and electric, and then any upgrades/add'l usage would be paid direct to the service providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio