U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM

427 posts, read 1,040,168 times

Advertisements

Have some imagination and some sense of adventure people! I hate the fact that the restaurants in the Alamo Ranch area have all been chain restaurants.

Got a gift card over the holidays for one of the many new restaurants in the area, went out on Valentine's Day only to find they had a 2 hour wait. Olive Garden consistently has an hour wait or more, for VERY average Italian food? Go to a real local restaurant, try something new, have some imagination!

End of rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,358,843 times
Shouldn't the rant be against the person that gave you the gift card? With huge waits, I'm guessing these chains could really care less... and it's not like you're going to stop SA residents from going out to eat. That and drunk driving are the two replacement sports for the city's lack of an NFL and MLB team.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM

427 posts, read 1,040,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Shouldn't the rant be against the person that gave you the gift card? With huge waits, I'm guessing these chains could really care less... and it's not like you're going to stop SA residents from going out to eat. That and drunk driving are the two replacement sports for the city's lack of an NFL and MLB team.
So I should have thrown the gift card in their face and told them how dare you?

I don't care if the restaurants couldn't care less. I'm also not trying to stop people from eating at them, I'm just wondering why they are so popular when they have barely average food and this city has so many other wonderful non-chain restaurants. Wondering aloud.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,475 times
An interesting side note:

If you are a person who gets gift cards for places he'll never use, there are a multitude of websites that offer trade services that can pair you with a better fit, while your gift card goes to someone else who loves Olive Garden. Other new websites simply pay you cash for your gift card.

Gift Card Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Gift Cards Online | Cardpool
Gift Card Exchange - Buy, Sell, Swap - Free Shipping - Plastic Jungle
Discounted Gift Cards | Buy or Sell Gift Cards - Swapagift.com

Lots more out there. Just google and figure out which service works best for you. No need anymore to suffer through bad gift card gifts

BN

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,452,504 times
I have often wondered the same thing regarding chain restaurants.

Whenever my family comes in to visit me, they want to go to Chili's, Applebees, or some other mediocre chain restaurant. Whenever I suggest something more original, they object because they know little to nothing about the place I suggest.

Overall, I think it has to do with lack of imagination and ability to try out new things. Just because Olive Garden has a new dish out for the week doesn't mean you are trying new things. You are still being within your comfort zone. Get out of it and try something you haven't yet.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,475 times
Olive Garden, as with all of the Darden eateries, are boring, Luddite crap. I'm not judging the people who go there, just what they're served and in the environment they're served it in.

Mass-chain mentality is what kills the local, little guy. Don't forget that once upon a time, the Riverwalk has not ONE chain on it. In fact, the Riverwalk was founded on the premise that any business that would open down there would be local-owned, local-funded. Thanks to a city council that's got, ahem, questionable decision making abilities, that's all changed.

BN

Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,483,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Whenever my family comes in to visit me, they want to go to Chili's, Applebees, or some other mediocre chain restaurant. Whenever I suggest something more original, they object because they know little to nothing about the place I suggest.
Where is your family from MattTX?
I know that with work, most people say chilli's because there is always a picky eater in the house and they can find something on the Chilli's menu. Same person could find something to choose from on a local menu. Who knows? I have the same conundrum with co workers.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Chain restaurants tend to be located in the most prominent spaces in a shopping center. Those million-dollar pad sites are usually too expensive for local restaurateurs to consider for their eateries. Most of the one-off places I see around town are in smaller strip centers at least a block from major intersections. Rents are more affordable there.

Maybe you're just looking for restaurants in the wrong places?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:23 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Chain restaurants tend to be located in the most prominent spaces in a shopping center. Those million-dollar pad sites are usually too expensive for local restaurateurs to consider for their eateries. Most of the one-off places I see around town are in smaller strip centers at least a block from major intersections. Rents are more affordable there.

Maybe you're just looking for restaurants in the wrong places?
This is true. Off of De Zavala there are tons of great smaller options just a few minutes past 10. Thai, Indian, little hole in the wall Mexican and Italian, Chinese, etc.

And it may also be that the area is still too new. Those places haven't even been there for 5 years. It took a long time for us to get the smaller places down the way. AR residents may have to drive more than 5 minutes to get something different.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,358,843 times
People also need to remember that AR didn't even exist a little more than a year ago. Hell, when I moved here in 2001, that whole area was nothing but trees and one little stoplight at Culebra/1604. The only thing I remember was the wally world that had just opened. We literally lived in the sticks.
And there are some local places near there, but that means you actually have to leave the AR parking lot. I know the traffic nightmare in that area makes that idea not so appealing most times, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio