Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,753,755 times

Advertisements

This is the best thing I've read on the subject; it explains the phenomenon and how it happens. Read before judging.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,592,094 times
Like I said earlier in the thread, there is no such thing as "FORGETTING YOUR CHILDREN IN THE CAR". Your kids are your number one priority in life. No excuses.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,753,755 times
Amber, did you read the article?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM

905 posts, read 2,948,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
This is the best thing I've read on the subject; it explains the phenomenon and how it happens. Read before judging.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?
The article is interesting in that it attempts to explain why this horrible tragedy happens. And some may think it offers excuses for why it happens. I feel for those parents who were responsible for the deaths of their children. They have to live with what they have done and that is probably a more severe punishment than anything the legal system could do to them. And the comment by Janette Fennel of Kids and Cars regarding the worse case she knew of was heart wrenching.
The explanation of how the brain works was interesting, too. Just like the parents in these cases come from all walks of life, the stressful situations mentioned in the article are experienced by people from all walks of life. Still, how do you 'forget' your child is in the car? I just can't buy the excuse/reason that they were too stressed out from phone calls, job situations, too busy, etc. Makes me wonder if there are underlying psychological problems that prevent them from handling stress and parenting.

Two quotes that say it best:

Quote:
Quote:
AmberAzeneth: "Your kids are your number one priority in life."

rd2007: "They have to be on your mind 24/7/365. There is no break, no rest, no anything."

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM

522 posts, read 1,128,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
I heard a lady on TV advisingly-saying something basically like: "Maybe you could try leaving your purse or your cellphone right next to your kid; important things that you definitely will be carrying around with you once you leave the car you could try leaving them right next to him to serve as reminders {mnemonic devices} that: "HEY! YOU HAVE A KID! DON'T FORGET!"
i get what she's saying but...

when you're purse or cellphone is more memorable than your own child...

when you need to TRICK yourself into remembering there's a kid in the car...

well...

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,517,427 times
I've watched a really good show on this... and while I don't think it would ever happen to my family, neither did any of these other parents. These aren't stupid or ignorant parents, it's just how the mind works sometimes.

I'm not defending the action, but it's always easier to judge people from the other side of the fence.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,616,544 times
I've forgotten some really, really important items in my car, but a child isn't one of them. Not saying it couldn't happen. Another thing to NOT forget is yor pet. Neither one should be left in the car.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,002,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post

I read it. I still stand by what I say. The article says if you can forget your cell phone you can forget your child. Um, no. I forget my cell phone all the time. I don't forget my children. Call me a judgmental b*tch but there are no excuses for this.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM

500 posts, read 745,171 times
Pretend you put million dollars cash in the backseat next to your child. Remember now?

Last edited by LVKim8; 03-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,002,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Pretend you put million dollars cash in the backseat next to your child. Remember now?
Haha, +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio