U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: South Texas
810 posts, read 1,246,110 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

There is a difference between a “job” and a “career” and unfortunately a lot of the “job” options are considered “careers” by a lot of locals.

I agree with Bo that SA needs to bring in more corporate presence (and someone on this forum always has to point out SA has more corporate headquarters than Austin, but then why does Austin has better paying jobs and more educated people? ) that would have more professional positions with a REAL salary. In order for that to happen the city would either need to:

1) Attract more educated people to relocate here
2) Produce more educated professionals

I see those 2 options being a challenge to SA. It is like catch 22. Educated people relocate here because of the better paying jobs and corporate moves here because of the local talents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 PM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree, now let's see: (I see they don't teach research in college....)

Number of households maintained by mothers: 37,408

Number of households maintained by fathers: 6,997

San Antonio ranks 14th with New York City, New York ranked 1st... (this is with cities over 1,000,000)

San Antonio ranks 33rd in married couple families with Nassau-Suffolk, New York ranked 1st...

These facts come from a Bureau of the Census report a couple of years old.....
That was a rhetorical question. It should already be known that there are a lot of single-parent families in major cities. Who was the person who asked about why AT&T left? How come you didn't do your research? By the way, this isn't college. I'm not getting a grade for this.

If you found the data, then where is the link? Your explanation is missing a lot of information. I'll find the information myself. In research, you're supposed to have a source.

In 2000, there were over 51,000 families (26%) living in a female headed household (no husband) in Bexar County. 38% of those mothers were under the poverty line.

http://www.healthcollaborative.net/a...nt/social4.php

Between 2005-2007, there were over 63,000 (17.3%) single parent families in Bexar County.

http://www.saheadstart.org/pdfs/SA_H...sent_11-24.pdf

Percentages are helpful too because cities like New York have a lot more people.

40% of the children in San Antonio (2008) are in single parent homes.

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data...&dtm=430&tf=35

More information.

http://txsdc.utsa.edu/maps/thematic/sf1-2k/sf1d04.php (broken link)

Last edited by L210; 03-16-2011 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
 
796 posts, read 1,616,565 times
Reputation: 369
My husband is physically disabled (he had a stroke 2 years ago)...he'd kill for a call center job. No one will hire him as soon as they see the physical disability....and this is a man with an MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,376,698 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That was a rhetorical question. It should already be known that there are a lot of single-parent families in major cities. Who was the person who asked about why AT&T left? How come you didn't do your research? By the way, this isn't college. I'm not getting a grade for this.

If you found the data, then where is the link? Your explanation is missing a lot of information. I'll find the information myself. In research, you're supposed to have a source.
I figured a college student could find the statistics from the source I posted:

Quote:
These facts come from a Bureau of the Census report a couple of years old.....
You are right, this isn't college and you don't get a grade... Hmmmm the word initiative comes to mind though....

Oh well, this is way off topic, so will close out here.....

Quote:
San Antonio being a low-wage, poverty stricken, and uneducated city
Since you have such a low opinion of San Antonio I wish you luck and a job commensurate with your college skills and debts in a different city....

Last edited by plwhit; 03-16-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Let's see.....how many single-parent families do we have here?
How come you didn't do your research?

These are the cities that will see the most job growth this spring.

In Pictures: The Best Cities For Finding A Job This Spring - The Best Cities For Finding A Job This Spring - Forbes.com

Here are unemployment rates by metropolitan.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I figured a college student could find the statistics from the source I posted:

You are right, this isn't college and you don't get a grade... Hmmmm the word initiative comes to mind though....

Oh well, this is way off topic, so will close out here.....

Since you have such a low opinion of San Antonio I wish you luck and a job commensurate with your college skills and debts in a different city....
That's not an opinion; it's a fact. San Antonio's poverty rate is higher than the national average and was higher than the national average before the recession. We also have some of the lowest educational attainment rates amongst large cities in the country. Do you need the sources for those?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ion-678585.php

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/01/pf/c...ties/index.htm

Initiative doesn't apply to this situation because I had no intention to look up the stats. It was a rhetorical question because it's just common sense that there are a lot of single parent families here. The word you are looking for is motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What family (let alone a family of 4) has only one person working? I guess after one leaves college one expects they are entitled to a <cough><cough> high paying job because they are so deep in debt.......

As the J Crew article says:

How many other cities have their job markets growing and have an unemployment rate of 7.8%?
What family only has one person working? Well....single parent families.

I'm not entitled to a high paying job; I have to find one and I will move to another city to find one. This kind of attitude is the reason why it's not worth it to most to go to college here in San Antonio if people don't care about attracting middle class jobs. You seem to have something against people who want to make more than $15 an hour. What's wrong with not wanting to live paycheck to paycheck? What's wrong with having standards and wanting to better oneself? Some people just don't settle and those are the people who push for change for the better, not the lazy people who just accept the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,376,698 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What family only has one person working? Well....single parent families.

I'm not entitled to a high paying job; I have to find one and I will move to another city to find one. This kind of attitude is the reason why it's not worth it to most to go to college here in San Antonio if people don't care about attracting middle class jobs. You seem to have something against people who want to make more than $15 an hour. What's wrong with not wanting to live paycheck to paycheck? What's wrong with having standards and wanting to better oneself? Some people just don't settle and those are the people who push for change for the better, not the lazy people who just accept the status quo.

Absolutely nothing, as I have told you in numerous posts I wish you well in finding a job that meets your expectations and a city that makes you happy....

The best of luck to ya son.....

I worked for 20 years in NYC and have the ulcers and stress problems from living in such a vibrant expensive city where you can be in an elevator going to the 60th floor with one other person in the elevator and not say one word to each other....

As the jobs are slowly migrating down south from up north I wish you well in whatever field you desire to make a career of....

Mayhaps it's not lazy people but a people who have learned there is a better way to live, slower, more relaxed and don't sweat the small stuff.

A people who put family over the job, a people more interested being with their children then making the almighty buck.

Best of luck to ya and may the Chupacabra never cross your path.....

And maybe in 40 or 50 years you'll see my point and understand I don't take kindly to someone badmouthing a city I care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 AM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Reputation: 5381
You know what's stressful and takes you away from your family? Having to work two jobs. There are other cities in Texas with better paying jobs. Who said I had to move up north? I don't have a family yet, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to spend much time with them because I work weekends and odd hours. I will be better off with a 9-5. Poverty puts all kinds of stress on people and it causes health issues, that is why there is a higher rate of obesity and diabetes on the south side. If you really cared about the city, you would be concerned about the poverty and health issues here instead of just being happy with the way things are. I grew up dirt poor and that is not a happy life to live. Do you really think living paycheck to paycheck is less stressful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 15 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,145,156 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And maybe in 40 or 50 years you'll see my point and understand I don't take kindly to someone badmouthing a city I care about.
LOL this cracked me up, especially after you claim to be so chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top