Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times

Advertisements

The article says she was covering the shift for a fellow officer. Besides, what difference does it make? She was working. Lots of innocent victims are on their way in to or just coming home from work when they are mowed down by one of these losers. To blame the victim for being out at that time just makes me so sick. If it wasn't her he killed, it would have been someone else.

I'm proud of her. Do you know how many "recently made mothers" there are in San Antonio that DON'T do anything to better their circumstances, or do anything but sit around and let others buy their food? Another thread, another day, but still, DO NOT BLAME HER FOR THIS!!! Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
This is not just a few people with problems we're talking about. Several others get it and it is extremely out of control. I'm sure I'm not the only one that leaves this town every now and then, so people have to know that other cities are not like this. Of course other places have drunks and even one drunk driver is too many, but this place is out of control. There is a leadership void in this town and I just don't get it. I would also suspect a lot of cops have sympathy for drunks because they are one too. How many stories do you see about cops getting pulled over for DWI here? WAY too many..
and as far as professionals also getting drunk, of course they do. I was just pointing out that less than half of all people graduate high school here, so it's obviously not a town full of rocket scientists. I'm sure that plays a big role in the overall problem too.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Actually, according to this list; Austin is worse than San Antonio (fifth and seventh in the nation, respectively. Those numbers are from a recent Men's Health article).

California and Texas each have three cities in the top ten!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, according to this list; Austin is worse than San Antonio (fifth and seventh in the nation, respectively. Those numbers are from a recent Men's Health article).

California and Texas each have three cities in the top ten!
If you look at the numbers, the only reason Austin beats San Antonio is because of binge drinking (college kids)
Everything else, San Antonio is worse.

Austin

Deaths from Liver Disease: 46th
Deaths in DUI Crashes: 23rd
Binge Drinking: 2nd
DUI Arrests (most arrests): 8th
Harsh DUI Laws (least stringent): 42nd

San Antonio
Deaths from Liver Disease: 22nd
Deaths in DUI Crashes: 17th
Binge Drinking: 54th
DUI Arrests(most arrests): 27th
Harsh DUI Laws(least stringent): 42nd

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
it's hard enough driving stone sober in this mess of a road system; i just can't fathom how anyone thinks they can do it drunk [answer: they don't think]

every time i see a new empty beer bottle or can sheathed in brown paper bag discarded by the mailbox, i think of things like this and it just breaks my heart. and i agree with rd: it's almost surreal stepping out of san antonio, in regards to poor/drunk drivers.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Drunk driving is a problem all throughout Texas and the federal government even came out with a report saying that our laws aren't harsh enough and made some recommendations.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
I work late hours, usually getting of at 12am or after... and I cannot tell you the drivers that I see that are obviously inebriated... scares the crap out of me!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM

66 posts, read 166,443 times
I am a Mgr. at a popular restaurant that has a 24Hr drive-thru, and occasionally I have to work a graveyard shift. You would be amazed at the amount of drunks that come through there!! And let me tell you there are as many "professional" people coming through driving their Mercedes, BMW's, as there are other people, with and without high school and college degrees. Passing out in line, or after getting food happens often also.
Another point to ponder: Read any study, and they will tell you that texting or browsing while driving is just as bad as drinking and driving. That is another arguement of course.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The article says she was covering the shift for a fellow officer. Besides, what difference does it make? She was working. Lots of innocent victims are on their way in to or just coming home from work when they are mowed down by one of these losers. To blame the victim for being out at that time just makes me so sick. If it wasn't her he killed, it would have been someone else.

I'm proud of her. Do you know how many "recently made mothers" there are in San Antonio that DON'T do anything to better their circumstances, or do anything but sit around and let others buy their food? Another thread, another day, but still, DO NOT BLAME HER FOR THIS!!! Ridiculous.

What in the BLUE HELL?! I wasn't blaming her at all! I was just wondering why she was out at that time! Not blaming her! She knew the risks of the job and chose to do it anyway. That deserves the highest respect in my book.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Nice to see a lot of people that get it.

For the others.. might want to look in the mirror a little harder next time and ask yourself if it's really worth everything you are risking for a little bit of pleasure.
Which usually ends in no pleasure at all BTW..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio