Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,900 times

Advertisements

Just curious... Has anyone ever tried bike commuting down Hwy 16 into Helotes? Is it terrifying? Can it be done? I'm just psyching myself up for this, because I think it'd be rad to not have to drive. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,881,135 times
From where to where?

For the most part, I wouldn't do it as Bandera Road experiences a lot of fast-moving traffic and I can't recall ever seeing bicyclists on it. I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM

124 posts, read 244,374 times
Riding down Bandera Road would be nerve-wracking! There is no room to ride on the side of the road, the traffic is ridiculously heavy and people are too preoccupied with their cell phones to pay attention to what's in front or beside them. I wouldn't chance riding one block, much less the distance you're looking to do.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,991 times
What about the roads next to it? Should be plenty of sidewalks (evers rd?). Cut through.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
I would never bicycle anywhere in this city. I have enough near incidents from just running in the bike path in my neighborhood. People really don't pay the slightest bit of attention to anything that isn't their cell phone or radio/CD player/VCR/computer/makeup/coffee pot/whoknowswhatelse. The road and especially the people on it are the last thing they're going to bother paying attention to.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,648,669 times
Dont you know its against the law to exercise in San Antonio? Take that mentality back to Austin!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,466,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumapequena View Post
Just curious... Has anyone ever tried bike commuting down Hwy 16 into Helotes? Is it terrifying? Can it be done? I'm just psyching myself up for this, because I think it'd be rad to not have to drive. Thoughts?
Well yeah...many people have tried.

Wish you could ask Gregory and Alexandra Bruehler how their experience was, but they were killed by a truck veering off onto the shoulder of Bandera road, and hitting both of them a while back. Left a 7 year old girl behind.

It would be cool if riding a bike down a road to work or wherever was feasable, but not with all the people we have driving, (or attempting to) that are more occupied with texting and yacking on the phone, than driving safely. I don't even enjoy riding a motorcycle unless it's out in the country somewhere....just isn't worth it. And with our bass-ackwards "city leaders", I don't see bike lanes or any other improvements to the roads for bike riders happening anytime soon.
Kudos to you for wanting to though....good luck and be safe if you do!

Last edited by txtea; 03-10-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,466,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Dont you know its against the law to exercise in San Antonio? Take that mentality back to Austin!
Yeah! How in the heck are you going to ride a bike, eat tacos and drink beer at the same time? What's wrong with you???

Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 PM

522 posts, read 1,127,142 times
unfortunately, i have to agree with most people here. if there is any serious amount of traffic (like bandera) i would not count on a safe ride. the grand majority of san antonio roads do not consistently accommodate bikes or pedestrians. even in my own neighborhood, bike lanes and sidewalks vanish mid-road (if there are any to begin with). and unfortunately as well, the grand majority of motorists don't seem to know what to do when a bike shares the road, or when a pedestrian crosses a cross walk (though i know there are plenty of cyclists and pedestrians who don't know how to proceed safely on the road).

your best bet if you're hell bent on cycling from point a to point b would be to stay far away from heavy traffic and scope out your rout ahead of time, make note of bottle necks, blind spits, etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,217,825 times
Biking on 16 is a death wish. There are loads of blind spots with the hills and curves that are made even more dangerous with the higher rates of speeds and high traffic on the highway. You'd get ran over without warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio