U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,158 times

Advertisements

I would say 99.9% of breeders are NOT good breeders. A good breeder breeds a dog show champion. Period, end of story. If the dogs they are breeding are NOT Champion Show Dogs, then they are NOT a reputable breeder. They are merely breeding for profit. A Reputable Breeder breeds to "better the breed" and the only way they know they are bettering the breed is by breeding dogs that have won in dog shows. They are breeding the best of the best.
OP- sorry this post strayed... I hope you have learned a bit.. if you are set on getting a dog from a breeder, what I stated above is FACT and I urge you to start attending dog shows.
And if that's not a big deal to you, you won't find a better assortment of animals that need loving homes than the humane society or city pound. Our family dog was rescued from the SA city pound... and what an amazing dog he is!
GL to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 AM

790 posts, read 1,604,790 times
I believe the Alamo Area Dog show is in May. It's a GREAT place to go and look at a ton of dogs, talk to people about different breeds. I'd make sure to go on the "small dogs" day and seek out the Bichon, etc, people. They'll also know the downside of each breed -- or at least should be willing to tell you.

I went when I was looking at getting a dachshund. Though I knew what I wanted, I learned a lot about having a puppy, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Here is also the link for the Pet Expo to be held at the Freeman Coliseum in July. Totally free event!
Home | The San Antonio Pet Expo | Pet Store in San Antonio Pet Expo | San Antonio Pet Lovers @sanantoniopetexpo.com

Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,739,771 times
I agree with Lauren, the good dog breeders interested in helping the breed and not over breeding are few and far between. Most simply are out to make as much as they can get, and will give a dog to anyone that has the cash in hand. With so many unwanted purebred dogs available, id like to see the good breeders stop contributing to the population for a certain amount of time and try to help find homes for their specific breed. But that won't make them money, and that's the primary motivating factor.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM

120 posts, read 222,493 times
Thanks all. I just wanted to use the location with multiple breeds to show someone those they are interested in person versus online pictures. We want to get one from a champion breeder and already realize it will cost over $1000 for one from them, but still trying to narrow down the type of dog and the champion breeders in the area.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,013,757 times
There are supposed to be a number of adoption groups at teh Fest of tails at McAllister tomorrow.

There is also the Petland at the Vineyard shopping center at 1604 and Blanco that carries a number of breeds at a time. I also saw a pet shop on Blanco at Huebner in that little shopping center that had some dogs as well.

People are very passionate when it comes to where you get your dogs from but if you are set on a very specific breed for whatever reason you can and should see what there is to start with. You just missed one pet centric event a couple of weeks ago. The next big one I can think of is in July.

I would think of going to the fest of tails tomorrow. Many people will be there with their dogs and there are many purebreds to see. Also do not be afraid to go to the dog parks in the early evenings. They get busy then and you can easily see 40 - 50 different breeds on a busy day. Hardberger park actually has a dedicated small dog area and I see some of these breeds there frequently.

If you do think about going with someone like Petland you can ask to see the dogs information and go home to do a bit of research on the breeder. Just because someone does something for the sake of money does not mean they are doing something wrong.

Many people breed dogs responsibly and for the right reasons. They just don't make the news or the Planet Green documentary for it.

Also I would like to add that 1000 for a high quality registered puppy is probably low balling it. You are listing some dogs that are very in demand as fashion accessories right now. You will find them in the price you seek but you may not get a quality animal with the high level of popularity they have right now.

Please ask to see where the dogs are kept. See the parent animals. Find out if they are registered with any of the animal groups. See where they are raised. Go there and look around. Ask if you can contact their vet and inquire about the parent animals health and how the pregnancy went. If the dog never went to the vet when it was prego thats a big red flag.

If the puppy looks sick or has drainage be on alert.

I would even say make friends with a vet now. Some of them would have leads to animals you want from people they deal with and could recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio