U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM

124 posts, read 210,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
I'd like to see Yogurt shops, Trader Joes, Henry's and a couple more Whole Foods. More Carl's Jr.'s, also like BN mentioned, A large History Museum, Museum of Man, a Science Center would be nice. Also I know this thread is about Business or Services missing in SA, but I would like to see more playgrounds for children.
I would love to see Trader Joe's come to San Antonio, as well as more Whole Foods. But, please, no Henry's (sucks, IMO) and we don't need more fast food joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,177 times
I agree with some of a little bit of everything said at the top of the page.

Museums...yes more please.

Furniture stores...poor West Elm couldn't even survive here, that's saying something since they are even a high end furniture store. I'm wondering how Nest Modern is feeling over there in the Quarry, I'm sure very nervous.

Strip Mall Mentality...is the mental illness the masses here seem to suffer from.

A "your favorite ethnic/cultural group here"Town...China, Korea, Little Italy, Little India, Little Havana, etc...

@ LiveUrban...lol, Cat Cafes? Is that BYOC or are they complimentary with a purchase of coffee?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM

299 posts, read 537,462 times
A driving school, because apparently the ones that have been in existence haven't taught San Antonio drivers very well.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM

37,766 posts, read 55,466,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
A driving school, because apparently the ones that have been in existence haven't taught San Antonio drivers very well.

^^^

Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
... Furniture stores...poor West Elm couldn't even survive here, that's saying something since they are even a high end furniture store. I'm wondering how Nest Modern is feeling over there in the Quarry, I'm sure very nervous.
West Elm isn't going to close that location anytime soon. Any loss from that store is on rebound thanks to the chain as a whole doing very, very well in this economy. Their stock is way up. Their products, albeit not my cup of tea, are higher quality for mass production with a lower price point.

Nest is owned by a friend of mine with major SA retail experience, both in working and owning. Nest is more likely to compete with the higher-end, as you can custom fabric almost anything in the store and they're carrying some exclusive lines to San Antonio too. I can't say that he's rolling in the money with this economy, but those customers who want something well-made and mod without totally going the DWR, extremely high price route might find Nest a nice middleman. I've seen their collection and it's inspired... Especially for the area.

BN

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 35,937 times
Just wondering if there are Kosher Groceries Store in the area. I would like to shop there!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,177 times
West Elm Is closed...so yeah, it closed around the 14th. The numbers overall can't speak for one market, and it looks like they've spoken.

I agree Nest is a nice high end store but given the tastes of this city I'm curious about the customer base. Will their customer base in San Antonio be able to sustain the longevity of the store? Especially when something as affordable as West Elm could go out of business so quickly. They are a wonderful store I drop by there ever so often for inspiration. CB2 is more my speed aesthetically and monetarily. Now that the MCM second hand scene is growing here I can always shop Oz, modpad, garage sales or take a short drive to Austin for furniture/accessories. Nest kind of reminds me of Motif in the sense that it's a retailer offering custom higher end modern furniture, but anytime you go in it's a ghost town. Best of luck to Nest Modern, I wish any entreprenuer much success.

Last edited by Dreadlockd; 03-21-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM

299 posts, read 537,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^
u mad

Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM

37,766 posts, read 55,466,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
West Elm isn't going to close that location anytime soon. Any loss from that store is on rebound thanks to the chain as a whole doing very, very well in this economy. Their stock is way up. Their products, albeit not my cup of tea, are higher quality for mass production with a lower price point.

Nest is owned by a friend of mine with major SA retail experience, both in working and owning. Nest is more likely to compete with the higher-end, as you can custom fabric almost anything in the store and they're carrying some exclusive lines to San Antonio too. I can't say that he's rolling in the money with this economy, but those customers who want something well-made and mod without totally going the DWR, extremely high price route might find Nest a nice middleman. I've seen their collection and it's inspired... Especially for the area.

BN
Just checked their web page. Too bad that they do not list prices of their items. Not even a range.
Other high-end stores don't have a problem with that.
( e.g. Modern Sectionals - Contemporary Sectionals )

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,278,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
What is this "Driving School" you speak of????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio