U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,431 times

Advertisements

My mother is relocating from DC to San Antonio and I'm trying to help her find a home to buy. We just visited this past weekend and looked at a bunch of places, but I'm not convinced that her realtor really understood what she's looking for. I'd really appreciate some help trying to pinpoint the best area for her. All of the homes we were shown were in Schertz and Cibolo. They were all new or a few years old, looked extremely manufactured and had cheap faux finishes. We were told that she should stay outside of the 1604 loop because of higher properties and taxes, but considering she is used to living in a big city, I don't think she'll be happy in the suburbs.

An ideal area would be an easy (20 minutes or less) commute to Ft Sam Houston, where she'll work and nearby shops and activities. My mom is in her mid 40s, doesn't have kids at home and plans on living in this home for a long time, so school districts and resale are not priorities all. She wants to be able to get a good sized (not huge) place with 3 bedrooms, a medium sized yard and an upgraded kitchen and spend 250k or less. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
Some realtors seem to get stuck on a certain area...I had to change realtors when I was home shopping because the first one wouldn't show me anything that wasn't in Converse.

If your mom is looking for an older home with some character near Fort Sam, the 78209 zip code is probably a good starting point.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 03-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: spelling...I think my keyboard has a gremlin today :D

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM

993 posts, read 2,193,168 times
Greetings from a NOVA transplant. Moved here in sept 2008.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

If your mom is looking for an older home with some character near Fort Sam, the 78209 zip code is probably a good starting point.
But not if they're looking to keep it under $250k. There are quite a few good areas that are accessible to Ft. Sam in that price range though. Really depends on what she wants in a house. Coming from DC, she'll have no problem with our traffic.

I've had clients move in from large cities like DC, Houston, LA, etc and they always laugh at our traffic.

Without knowing more about what your Mother wants in a house, it's hard to suggest a neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
I would look in 78218 and 78239 she should have no problem finding a house for her budget and a neighborhood that had some character.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,377,313 times
It's funny how some realtors are really clueless about life in a city and think everyone wants the 'burbs...

In that price range, she can probably find something decent in Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Lavaca (for restored homes, tho asking prices will be higher, she should be able to bring them down, depending on the property). All within 15-20 minutes to Ft Sam. Probably Mahnke Park as well. There are other lovely areas but they're going to be over $250K. Could consider Woodlawn/Monticello as well.

I recommend contacting any of the following:
Moderator cut: real estate recommendations

I further recommend that she consider renting in one of these areas for at least 6 months before committing to a purchase.

Last edited by Bo; 03-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, share RE recommendations by DM only. Members can DM you if they want these.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM

45 posts, read 95,216 times
Default Hello DC!!! (and Hello Nova)

I"m moving to San Antonio from Baltimore in one week. Prior to moving to Baltimore for a job eight months ago I lived in DC for 26 years. Now the company I moved to Baltimore for is sending me to San Antonio.

Can I ask where you mom lived in DC? Most of my years there I lived in Georgetown, the West End and Foggy Bottom.

I"ve been doing a lot of research about where I would potentially buy a house. I'm going to rent since I"m not sure how long I'll be in SA.

My suggestion to your mom would be to rent a very nice apt for a year and get to know the neighborhoods. There's nothing worse than buyer's regret when you purchase a home in the wrong neighborhood.

The places that I would buy a house and mirror DC's older architecture are Montevista, King William, Tobin Hill (from what I hear it's a bit transitional but getting there), Alamo Heights and Lavaca.

Best of luck!!!

Steve

Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,710,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlilos View Post
My mother is relocating from DC to San Antonio and I'm trying to help her find a home to buy. We just visited this past weekend and looked at a bunch of places, but I'm not convinced that her realtor really understood what she's looking for. I'd really appreciate some help trying to pinpoint the best area for her. All of the homes we were shown were in Schertz and Cibolo. They were all new or a few years old, looked extremely manufactured and had cheap faux finishes. We were told that she should stay outside of the 1604 loop because of higher properties and taxes, but considering she is used to living in a big city, I don't think she'll be happy in the suburbs.

An ideal area would be an easy (20 minutes or less) commute to Ft Sam Houston, where she'll work and nearby shops and activities. My mom is in her mid 40s, doesn't have kids at home and plans on living in this home for a long time, so school districts and resale are not priorities all. She wants to be able to get a good sized (not huge) place with 3 bedrooms, a medium sized yard and an upgraded kitchen and spend 250k or less. Any suggestions?
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM

437 posts, read 778,773 times
Lavaca, Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Dignowity Hill (which is where I live, about 3 minutes away from Fort Sam), Tobin Hill, Monte Vista and King William (both will be expensive). The majority of my clients wish to move closer to downtown, they want homes of character that are unique and have solid bones. So I've been inside a lot of really neat houses in those areas. Many of the real estate agents who work on the outskirts really don't know much about the neighborhoods I just listed. For some reason agents who work with military families relocating to Fort Sam tend to show houses in Schertz and Cibolo, without listening to their clients. I hear a lot of complaints about that.

In any case, you need an agent who will listen, and who is familiar with the neighborhoods surrounding Fort Sam Houston and downtown.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's funny how some realtors are really clueless about life in a city and think everyone wants the 'burbs...
While this can be true, it's also funny how there are folks that think living ANYWHERE outside the little downtown bubble is blasphemy. They may want nothing to do with an older home. We don't really know. Their Realtor may have been showing them exactly what they thought they wanted, and now after seeing some of the homes, they may be changing their mind.

Downtown living can be nice, but it's also not for everyone. Their Realtor may be doing exactly what was asked of them, so don't just jump on assuming things and suggesting they switch to another Realtor, because you have no idea of their working relationship. Those companies are just like all the rest and I've seen them sell houses all over south Texas. Not just in the bubble. They just have a downtown location. Not good, not bad, but they're not the only ones in town that know that area. Heck, I've got the two nicest homes in KW for sale (one under contract) and I office in the Dominion.

When we start working with a buyer, it's rare to settle on one area right off the bat. It usually takes looking in a few different areas and it takes a dialog between the buyer and their Realtor. The buyer just needs to make sure that they're clear with their Realtor on what they want, and I'm sure they'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or