U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,179,034 times

Advertisements

I HATE our carpet. I have two little girls and between myself, them, my husband, and the dog, our carpet is FILTHY in the high-traffic areas. I am sure it was just builder grade crap (our house was 5 years old when we moved in) but the person that lived here before was single and traveled for work, so the carpet looked brand-new when we moved in (Oct 2009). We've had Stanley Steemer out twice last year and are about to have them out again. Yuck. If we ever get another house it will be hardwoods or stone downstairs and the VERY best carpet we can afford upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,352,393 times
I don't know if these have been suggested........Tile instead of Carpet. In our previuos home we had Tile in all the rooms except the three bedrooms. That upgrade was well worth the co$t. We have tile in our new home but only in the kitchen, front and rear entry, dining nook, and the bathrooms.

I would also suggest a covered patio. (the patio will be poured when the foundation is and the roof will continue on to cover the patio) This may be a standard feature on your new home. We have a nice sized patio on this home but it is not covered. My Wife has wanted a Pergola for some time.......hopefully we'll have one built before the end of the month.

Oh...Don't forget the Water Softener and possibly a Sprinkler System. These too may be standard features on your new home.

Good Luck with Your New Home!!!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,306,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I don't know if these have been suggested........Tile instead of Carpet. In our previuos home we had Tile in all the rooms except the three bedrooms. That upgrade was well worth the co$t. We have tile in our new home but only in the kitchen, front and rear entry, dining nook, and the bathrooms.

I
I love the look of tile too, but having almost no carpet inside my house has made me realize how much we've missed it. Mainly because we have little ones and are always on the ground playing. It's MUCH more comfortable to have carpet in the living and play areas. Yeah...it can get dirty, but buy a good vacuum and keep on top of it and it's fine. There's a huge backlash against carpet for some reason, but it's a "fad backlash" to a large extent. People lived with carpet and loved it for a long time before we were told we had to have wood tile throughout.

I think there's benefit to each, and when the kids are gone, we'll probably do the wood, but I REALLY miss carpet. Rugs don't help. It's painful to be down on the ground for long periods of time.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
Personally, I hate the echo and cold on the feet of large expanses of tile. We recently looked at a 2nd home up on Canyon lake, and we were totally turned off by the fact it was 100% tile.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
We have all hardwood throughout, with saltillo tile in the kitchen and vintage ceramic tile in the bathrooms. I don't miss carpet AT ALL. I grew up in a house that was all hardwood floors (built in 1904, original flooring) and I've always disliked the look of carpet.

We don't have area rugs or anything - just miles and miles of 1959 hardwood. Love it.

To the OP - congrats on your new house! So exciting!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
I hate carpet! We have original long leaf pine throughout except kitchen and bathrooms. home built c. 1886. Having livedso long without carpet I can never go back.

For the kids' area, we have those foam puzzle mats.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I hate carpet! We have original long leaf pine throughout except kitchen and bathrooms. home built c. 1886. Having livedso long without carpet I can never go back.

For the kids' area, we have those foam puzzle mats.
Chaka, darn it, I wanted to rep you but I can't. Stupid spreading the love.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM

28 posts, read 71,403 times
We didn't buy a Weekley home, however a couple of comments from our experience at another builder's design studio when we bought our new home 2 years ago; when we walked in, the sales lady clearly had a very well-rehearsed speech and an 'order' in which she walked people around the studio and asked you to make your choices. Thing was, we knew that we wanted a couple of big-ticket items (tiled floors, extended covered patio, fireplace) and we also knew we didn't want our overall price to be above a certain amount as we wanted our monthly payment to be at a level that we felt comfortable with. So, after about 10 minutes of being asked to choose which bath fixture we wanted and which type of light fitting in the dining room, I eventually had to bluntly ask her if we could please do the appointment the other way around. She was a little startled but agreed. We therefore started off with the big-ticket items that we knew we definitely wanted and chose those and priced them up, then figured out whether we still had any leeway left in our 'budget' to even look at upgrading anything else. As others here have mentioned, most of the smaller stuff we looked at with her, took her design suggestions on board - and then paid cash to upgrade them ourselves after we moved in.

Anyway, this was just a thought. If your overall price really is important to you, then those design guys can nickle and dime you with the 'little stuff' and all of a sudden, at the end of your appointment, you realize you've spent $15K more than you had intended....

Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM

11,141 posts, read 20,325,757 times
I really liked the idea of tile until I got it. Especially in the winter...I have arthritis in my feet and the cold tile feels horrible. My husband teases me because I have mats in front of all the counters, the sink and the stove, so I can walk my whole kitchen on the mats and never have to touch the tile.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's MUCH more comfortable to have carpet in the living and play areas. Yeah...it can get dirty, but buy a good vacuum and keep on top of it and it's fine.
So true. Homes that have flooring all the same throughout are 100% boring. We have wood in the kitchen (awesome!), tile in the bathrooms and entry and our recieving room, and carpet for the rest of the house.

We vacuum once or twice a week as needed and everything is cool. I love playing with my dog on the carpet... old bones, both me and her I suppose lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or