U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 AM

426 posts, read 1,485,409 times

Advertisements

I know I'm late to the party with upgrades but we just finished our house and had something things done that I didn't see mentioned that our sales agent acted like he'd never heard of before. Mainly, electrical outlets in the eaves of the house where you'd start your Christmas lights. Like $50 per and no unsightly extension cords running up the side of the house.

Might only apply to us but our house backs to a large field next to the community center/pool, so we put a gate in the back to access the pool in a 2 minute walk instead of what would have been a 10-15 minute walk along the streets once built out.

My potential favorite - if the house will have natural gas, get a gas stub out in the back to hook up for a grill. No more having to prep a charcoal grill and wait... no more replacing propane tanks... just turn the valve, start the grill and dinner's ready instantly. WELL worth the $80 or whatever.

Ask for a complete list of every potential upgrade possible - they might fight you on it, but you can find some gems. Example - I wanted to extend the concrete on my patio... sure I could do it later but I just wanted it done and wanted to avoid the hassle. I could add on 100 sq ft for $500 or 75 sq ft for $300. Do the math... never figured out if it was an error on their part or what, but I bought "2" of the 75 sq ft for $600.... got 150 sq ft for $600 instead of 100 for $500. You may find weird stuff like that in there.

Obviously, the others had good suggestions. We got REALLY lucky that our builder was desperate and had a package of ~$35k worth of upgrades they were giving away just to get people to build... once we got them to waive a $12k lot premium on top, it was on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM

284 posts, read 819,598 times
We built with Weekley in the Preserve and have been very happy. The construction superintendent is very personable and reasonable to work with. I think Weekley has some standard design features that set it apart from the other builder in the subdivision (moldings, trim work, exterior details, etc). I think they are the best choice in builder in Alamo Ranch when it comes to overall value, location, and customer service experience.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 AM

852 posts, read 929,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
We built with Weekley in the Preserve and have been very happy. The construction superintendent is very personable and reasonable to work with. I think Weekley has some standard design features that set it apart from the other builder in the subdivision (moldings, trim work, exterior details, etc). I think they are the best choice in builder in Alamo Ranch when it comes to overall value, location, and customer service experience.

So, have you already finished building Texasgirl1? We are also going to build in the Preserve so we'll be neighbors. :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM

284 posts, read 819,598 times
we've been here almost 3 years.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
we've been here almost 3 years.
My bad, I didn't pay attention to the date of your original post. How do you like it i.e. the house and neighborhood? We're looking in the new section that is being developed in the Preserve. Hope to find out today if we can get the lot we want

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
I know I'm late to the party with upgrades but we just finished our house and had something things done that I didn't see mentioned that our sales agent acted like he'd never heard of before. Mainly, electrical outlets in the eaves of the house where you'd start your Christmas lights. Like $50 per and no unsightly extension cords running up the side of the house.

Might only apply to us but our house backs to a large field next to the community center/pool, so we put a gate in the back to access the pool in a 2 minute walk instead of what would have been a 10-15 minute walk along the streets once built out.

My potential favorite - if the house will have natural gas, get a gas stub out in the back to hook up for a grill. No more having to prep a charcoal grill and wait... no more replacing propane tanks... just turn the valve, start the grill and dinner's ready instantly. WELL worth the $80 or whatever.

Ask for a complete list of every potential upgrade possible - they might fight you on it, but you can find some gems. Example - I wanted to extend the concrete on my patio... sure I could do it later but I just wanted it done and wanted to avoid the hassle. I could add on 100 sq ft for $500 or 75 sq ft for $300. Do the math... never figured out if it was an error on their part or what, but I bought "2" of the 75 sq ft for $600.... got 150 sq ft for $600 instead of 100 for $500. You may find weird stuff like that in there.

Obviously, the others had good suggestions. We got REALLY lucky that our builder was desperate and had a package of ~$35k worth of upgrades they were giving away just to get people to build... once we got them to waive a $12k lot premium on top, it was on.

Who was your builder??

Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexie1 View Post
We are building to and just called my sales rep for David weekely and added a plug in the pantry!!!! What a fab ideas!! I wish I posted this post before we went to our design meeting!!!

I love this idea, it's on my "Must Haves" list too. I love this thread, it is soooooo helpful!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,485,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Who was your builder??
DR Horton (Austin though, know they're slightly different entities)

Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeBrzustoski View Post
Have u considered adding a central vacuum system to your new home? Its not only a great investment but it makes clening so much easier!! Go to ThinkVacuums.com: Buy Central Vacuum Systems: NuTone, Electrolux, AirVac, Hayden, Vacuflo, Beam: Accessories, Motors, Parts and More. thats where i got mine!!
So that's not YOUR website, right?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 27,082 times
Default david weekley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Please let us know how your experience has gone with Weekley because we are about to make our decision on them as our builder so any feedback you can share would be helpful.
Sorry, I'm just seeing this question now! Yes, we went with David Weekley and so far it's been a good experience. We're not quite finished with the building process, but they've been a pleasure to work with. Did you decide to go with them too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or