Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I had 3 stolen over a period of less than 10 years - all out of my NS driveways. But that's neither here nor there. My point (which some haven't stopped to think about, because we're too busy being giddy over bicycles being in a few locations in a city with 100+ degree summer days) is that there's a significant number of folks who wake up thinking how they can "get over" on us, the honest citizen. Call me what you will, but come back 12 months after the roll-out and tell me the results.
I'm really not trying to be a naysayer - what I AM trying to be is a realist. But lest you think I'm just an idiot spouting nonsense...here's what a 60-second googling session turned up...

French Ideal of Bicycle-Sharing Meets Reality - NYTimes.com

Bicycle sharing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No easy ride for bike programs - USATODAY.com

Is it all doom and gloom? Certainly not - but given the tendency of so many things one would think of little value to be stolen, I doubt things will be any different with this. It would be nice for it to succeed - but it'd be nice for the bank to forgive my mortgage, too.....;D
I'm shocked...just SHOCKED that a guy with the handle "Texas Redneck" would be pessimistic about this program.

As with most things in life, you can always come up with reasons why things might not work as planned. I'm proud of SA for trying this out, and I already know lots of folks excited about trying it.

As others have pointed out, people who live/work/recreate in the neighborhoods near downtown understand the appeal of this system. Most of our little neck-of-the-woods is easily accessible by bike (it would be no big deal at all to ride from the Pearl/St. Mary's to King William/Lavaca). I also understand why people who live in the far-flung parts of the metro SA area (where driving is mandatory for virtually every activity) would be dubious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I also understand why people who live in the far-flung parts of the metro SA area (where driving is mandatory for virtually every activity) would be dubious.
My main reason for being dubious has absolutely nothing to do with the utility of bikes as transportation in the urban core of San Antonio or whether there will be enough demand for this service. I don't have any problem accepting that either of those are sufficient to sustain the program.

I just believe that bikes are both an easy item and a popular item to steal and that a large enough percentage of renters will lack either the appropriate interest in securing them or the ability to properly secure them against theft. For those reasons, I expect that thieves strong interest in stealing these bikes will ultimately prevail, and that the number of deadbeat renters either unable to or unwilling to pay for the stolen bikes will ultimately sink the program.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
With the way the bikes look, I think catching the thieves would be fairly easy. I read the program the way Montirob did, though.....you're probably going to have the bike less than 30 minutes, just getting quickly from A to B. I think everyone is thinking people are just going to check these bikes out for all-day use when that's really going to be just a few people, I would think.

I think it's a great idea on paper, and I hope it works out. If I find myself downtown doing the tourist thing soon, maybe I'll jump on one. Seems like most people who already live down there would own bikes already but

Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Bo, ah reckon yer gonna hafta change yer moniker ta Boregard, jest so's you'll meet the mindsets of folks that think that because some folks don't agree with a "forward-thinking" idea yer a rube.

I do hope I'm wrong....but then again, I hope Santa Claus was real, too..... Folks, this ain't so much about it being San Antonio, where many stolen items are headed for Mexico within an hour of being lifted - it's about understanding human nature, and the thieves that infiltrate our lives. But feel free to believe!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
I hope it works out....it really sounds like an awesome idea and makes me wish even more that I lived Downtown.

If you dont live in the area and would never/will never use something like this, then what do you care anyways?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,305 times
I don't live downtown, and I own a bike but lugging it downtown on the car just to ride sounds crazy. This rental thing sounds like a good idea to me, I just hate riding around town because this city isn't so bike friendly.

In Detroit they had a bicycle share program -- Bike Alley Bikes and it worked out pretty well. They were free and not provided by a business but by the public from salvaged parts and the bikes rebuilt. It was a grassroots movement. Mostly midtown, and downtown college kids, and urbanites took advantage. These bikes weren't fancy schmancy, just means to get from point A to B. You could go in this place and build your own bike from salvaged parts, they run free workshops for adults and youths.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Great program. I do think they will need more bike hubs though in order for it to be more successful.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My main reason for being dubious has absolutely nothing to do with the utility of bikes as transportation in the urban core of San Antonio or whether there will be enough demand for this service. I don't have any problem accepting that either of those are sufficient to sustain the program.

I just believe that bikes are both an easy item and a popular item to steal and that a large enough percentage of renters will lack either the appropriate interest in securing them or the ability to properly secure them against theft. For those reasons, I expect that thieves strong interest in stealing these bikes will ultimately prevail, and that the number of deadbeat renters either unable to or unwilling to pay for the stolen bikes will ultimately sink the program.
Like I said...there's always reasons (hypothetical or otherwise) to NOT do something. And there's certainly no guarantee that this program will work over the long-term.

It takes resolve, energy, and optimism to try something progressive/inventive. It doesn't take much of, well, anything to conjure up reasons why a program might not work (and to justify apathy and/or inaction). I'd much rather be on the side of the former.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
It takes resolve, energy, and optimism to try something progressive/inventive. It doesn't take much of, well, anything to conjure up reasons why a program might not work (and to justify apathy and/or inaction). I'd much rather be on the side of the former.
.....and spending someone else's money! With all due respect, I don't think anyone said it shouldn't be done - it was more an issue of expected results. Now, maybe someone will wave a magic wand and all the thieves will respect the property rights.....

would ya like to make a small side wager on that?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Bo, ah reckon yer gonna hafta change yer moniker ta Boregard, jest so's you'll meet the mindsets of folks that think that because some folks don't agree with a "forward-thinking" idea yer a rube.

I do hope I'm wrong....but then again, I hope Santa Claus was real, too..... Folks, this ain't so much about it being San Antonio, where many stolen items are headed for Mexico within an hour of being lifted - it's about understanding human nature, and the thieves that infiltrate our lives. But feel free to believe!
So...did having 3 cars stolen in 10 years convince you to stop buying cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio