U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,435 times
Default No building permit

I live outside the city limits of San Antonio, do I need to get a building permit to put in a deck? I have the HOA's approval. What's the penalty if I don't get a permit? or what will happen when I want to sell the house w/ a un-permitted deck? Any in site is appreciated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,320,661 times
Default It Happens,

All of the time......
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbag View Post
I live outside the city limits of San Antonio, do I need to get a building permit to put in a deck? I have the HOA's approval. What's the penalty if I don't get a permit? or what will happen when I want to sell the house w/ a un-permitted deck? Any in site is appreciated?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,402,347 times
The City of San Antonio Development Services Department only issues permits for properties inside San Antonio City Limits. If you live in Alamo Heights, Leon Valley, Castle Hills, etc., you obtain the necessary permits and approvals from those cities. It's possible those suburban cities have slight variances in their building codes.

Don't know about unincorporated areas out in the County. Does Bexar County have a building services department?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM

10,167 posts, read 9,660,503 times
I have a 40'x10' patio in my backyard and I didn't get a permit.
Just today, I talked on the phone with the city (Guadalupe County) they passed me to the inspector.
He said that an inspector is supposed to be there when the concrete is poured to make sure that it meets city standards/requirements.
I told him that I just want to make it "legal" and that I have pictures of when the job was done.

If this sounds like your case... send me an DM, and I'll tell you what happens after he checks with another inspector and calls me tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,301,534 times
Um....Dopo - were you talkin' with the city or the county? Guadalupe County doesn't have any code/permitting for flatwork that I'm aware of....

Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 PM

10,167 posts, read 9,660,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Um....Dopo - were you talkin' with the city or the county? Guadalupe County doesn't have any code/permitting for flatwork that I'm aware of....
City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio