Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,772 times

Advertisements

Guerilla, how long have you lived in Houston? What part? Just wondering if the part you are in or travel through impacts your thoughts on construction. When we drive back down to visit friends and family in Houston or Galveston 2 or so times per year, there are areas that we still brace ourselves for because we remember how long the construction took in those areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
Insomniac, you want "scientific" data? Are you familiar with the scientific method?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Ooh ooh, my turn!

Both are big cities. Hustle and bustle, there is no "small town" feel in San Antonio. It is a myth... or long time residents in denial. Also both are growing like crazy. Both rank high on the unhealthiest cities list.

Houston
Statistically speaking Houston has the more educated population, but is one the 10 most dangerous major cities. Houston is considered world-class and has a nice skyline, and in terms of traditional business beats San Antonio 2 to 1. Transportation is also better in Houston. 2 major airports. Pollution can be worse in areas.

San Antonio
San Antonio is one of the 10 safest cities list. San Antonio falls short on a global scale, and lacks in terms of big business. Very visually appealing city. Traffic can be a nightmare. Large military presence, the city is very inviting. Very tourist oriented as well. Tons of things to do and see, and overall a very historical city.

I too faced the choice between San Antonio and Houston (UH or UTSA). In the end I chose San Antonio, simply because the city fit my plans better.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Insomniac, you want "scientific" data? Are you familiar with the scientific method?
Well, I'm not chemist or rocket scientist but my question was more than valid. Making that statement as boldly as you did can only mean there is proof in some form acknowledging your claim. The mode in which such data is calculated would be deemed "scientific."

Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
WHY oh WHY do I get the urge to say "No...but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM

190 posts, read 219,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Where are you getting this info? I'd love to know where you see that there are "some not so bright people" in SA and where Houston has a "large number of educated people". There are educated and non-educated people everywhere. And where have you ever been that road construction gets done quickly?

If you're going to comment, don't get on the board and say San Antonio isn't good because the people are stupid and lazy, unless you have some type of evidence to back that up. Otherwise you're just shooting off your mouth.
Look, having been someone who's lived OUTSIDE of San Antonio and Texas (unlike seemingly 70% of the population here) I can say that the population in Houston, Dallas, and Austin SEEMS more educated. hello's stats backed this up. Yeah, there are educated and non educated people everywhere, but the number of uneducated seems far greater in SA....FAR greater. One of my favorite things to do is to sit and people watch...and people in Houston, Dallas, and Austin just look so much more put together.

As for laziness, I think that's more a part of the culture of SA. It's just a more laid back city....and some of us coming from bigger metro areas may interpret this as laziness. What I do notice though is the generally unmotivated blaze attitude of San Antonians. I talk to people here, and a good number of people born here haven't even been to Dallas, let alone outside Texas.

They have little to interest in higher education. Many are just happy working their menial jobs, and have no drive to move up. THIS is what I think contributes to an uneducated feel.

Last edited by infinity & beyond; 08-01-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Funding has nothing to do with how fast a project is finished, a project will not start until funded so it's not like a project started and then was halted to wait for more funding. Funded is provided and construction then begins. What really dictates the amount of time a project will be is the construction companies given the contracts. They determine how fast and how slow a project will go, case in point. I-10/410 interchange started in 2000 and will be finished next year. The reason? The construction company that bid on the contract built the interchange in phases.

The 410/281 interchange which is a much more complicated construction project began in 2005, it'll be finished next year. The reason for this is the construction company that won the contract bid promised to work on the interchange 24/7 365 except for when weather prevented any construction. Two similar size projects, both will be finished in the same year even though one was started five years after the other.

All funding does is increase how many or decrease how little construction projects your city gets not how quickly they are completed.
Some natives told me they've been working on I10/410 since 1985??? That's just unheard of.............

Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Those are city percentages I'd be more inclined to review metropolitan education numbers.
Look, I'm not one to get into long winded arguments but.........COME ON. SA's metro area is something like 1.3 million (given its lack of suburbs). Houston's is closer to 4.5 million, and Dallas/Ft. Worth is closer to 6 million.

Based on those statistics alone, one can reasonably presume that those cities have much larger educated/white collar workers than does SA. They are also home to big corporations, which bring in people from across the US and world.

Quote:
I'd love to see the scientific data behind such a claim. Having lived in Houston and Miami I'd say their freeway construction time is no different than SA,but I have to say Houston's is incredibly worse/slower than SA.
Moving outside TEXAS, I think it'd be safe to assume few cities claiming to be major (and even minor) take 20 years on an interchange........I don't care if it was done in phases or not.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
WHY oh WHY do I get the urge to say "No...but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"
LOL!! And I say, "Why, oh why do we keep on feeding these trolls?" Oh well, I guess it entertains some.........

Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
Look, I'm not one to get into long winded arguments but.........COME ON. SA's metro area is something like 1.3 million (given its lack of suburbs). Houston's is closer to 4.5 million, and Dallas/Ft. Worth is closer to 6 million.

Based on those statistics alone, one can reasonably presume that those cities have much larger educated/white collar workers than does SA. They are also home to big corporations, which bring in people from across the US and world.

Moving outside TEXAS, I think it'd be safe to assume few cities claiming to be major (and even minor) take 20 years on an interchange........I don't care if it was done in phases or not.
First off, I'll address one of the many errors in that post. The first being your population ranking for the San Antonio metro area. Where in god's name did you come up with that number. As of 2007 the metro population in SA is over 2 million. Houston is nearly six million and Dallas, depending on the source, is at six million or over six million. The second error is you claim I was arguing net numbers when I was simply arguing percentages. Big difference, and of course Houston and Dallas have an overwhelming larger white collar/educated population than San Antonio, they're both nearly three times bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio