U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,165,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I wonder how unemployment benefits work? I thought no teachers could get unemployment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
one of our teachers looked into that and we were told we could but it would be a reduced rate so hardly enough to compensate.

The bad thing is a teacher who has only been there a year or two wont even have much in TRS
Actually, everybody who collects unemployment, does so at a reduced rate from their previous wages.

Generally, it works out to about 1/2 of your past weekly wage. In Texas, I think the maximum weekly wage it takes to get the maximum weekly unemployment benefit is $830, but don't quote me on that. So if you were making $800/week, your weekly benefit would be $400, $830 would be the $415 maximum, but if you were making $1200/week, it would still be $415/week.

Presumably, this formula would also apply to teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,894,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
one of our teachers looked into that and we were told we could but it would be a reduced rate so hardly enough to compensate.

The bad thing is a teacher who has only been there a year or two wont even have much in TRS

So the unemployment comes from TRS? Or would the teacher close out his/her TRS?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,985,271 times
I meant to say it would be a reduction of even the normal reduced rate. I cannot recall all the details but just remember this is what she told me.

hopefully I wont have to find out.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,418,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
So the unemployment comes from TRS? Or would the teacher close out his/her TRS?
Unemployment comes from the state. TRS is the state educational retirement system, in lieu of Social Security.

I believe that one can close out TRS (the employee paid portion only)...but would be subject to taxed upon the amount.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
When I got laid off a few years ago, unemployment took the average market wage for my position (which was lower than what I was making) and paid me a certain percentage of that market wage. I can't remember exactly, but it was higher than 50%, more like 75%. I couldn't collect the unemployment payment for the first week until I collected a certain dollar amount.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,165,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
When I got laid off a few years ago, unemployment took the average market wage for my position (which was lower than what I was making) and paid me a certain percentage of that market wage. I can't remember exactly, but it was higher than 50%, more like 75%. I couldn't collect the unemployment payment for the first week until I collected a certain dollar amount.
That wasn't in Texas, though, was it? Never heard of any thing like that in the State of Texas, and I've been through a couple of private-sector RIFs/downsizings/buyouts-mergers/takeovers myself, so I'm personally versed in the process.

Also, in spite of what you may hear about people collecting unemployment, and making no effort to become re-employed, TWC requires individuals to make a prescribed minimum number employment-related contacts per week (it was five weekly contacts for me the last time). You have to keep a log of those contacts, and submit copies of those logs to TWC upon request, for purposes of verification, in order to maintain unemployment benefits. Exceptions to this requirement are for individuals whose employers have classified their job separation as "temporary" (they expect to reinstate the employee), or for union members whose unions have a hiring hall (the union will refer the member to other employers).

Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,439,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Actually, everybody who collects unemployment, does so at a reduced rate from their previous wages.

Generally, it works out to about 1/2 of your past weekly wage. In Texas, I think the maximum weekly wage it takes to get the maximum weekly unemployment benefit is $830, but don't quote me on that. So if you were making $800/week, your weekly benefit would be $400, $830 would be the $415 maximum, but if you were making $1200/week, it would still be $415/week.

Presumably, this formula would also apply to teachers.
$406/wk is the max UE benefit for Texas.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
It was here in Texas. Never mind, I confused my payments with the market wage they said I should accept in a new job even if it's lesser than what I was making. My weekly payments though were less than what I was making. This is directly from the UI handbook.

Quote:
Why was I paid for one week when I requested two weeks?
TWC must hold the first week’s payment as the “waiting week.” After you
receive three times your weekly benefit amount (WBA), you will receive the
waiting week payment (Page 10).
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/bi-99.pdf

And this is from one of their webpages.

Quote:
To receive benefits you must have a payable claim. A payable claim means you earned a specific amount of wages during a recent 12-month period called the base period. The base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before you applied for benefits. (Calendar quarters are three-month periods beginning the first day of January, April, July, or October.) This means that when we calculate benefits we cannot use wages in the calendar quarter in which you filed your claim, or the quarter just before that. We calculate your weekly benefit amount on the highest quarter earnings in your base period. We divide that high quarter's total earnings by 25 to get your weekly benefit amount. We may have to adjust this amount to be inside the allowed range of benefit amounts in Texas. Your weekly benefit amount will be between $60 and $415 depending upon the wages you earned. Your maximum or total benefit amount is the lesser of 26 times the weekly amount, or 27 percent of all your wages in the base period. To estimate possible UI benefits, use our Benefits Estimator. After you apply for benefits, we send you a Statement of Benefits with your potential benefit amounts. We can pay benefits only to individuals who have payable claims.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Information

So you're right. Depending on how many weeks were in your highest base quarter, one would have to make about $800 a week to receive the maximum weekly payment. My highest quarter in the base period was much higher than what I was making when I was laid off, so my weekly benefit amount turned out to be about 75% of what I was making at the time.

Last edited by L210; 04-03-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM

816 posts, read 1,475,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In regards to the buildings, I've been in construction for 50 years and the President of the local industry organization, Pioneer Family to the Greater SA Home Builders, have a degree in architecture, and a couple of others. It's not only feasible to have modular schools, some of the smaller, less funded school districts have been using them for years. The site plan is not all that complex and yes, most any building can be adapted to any site. Ask any hotel builder, restaurant builder, HEB, Costco, Walmart,......how many would you like that use modular plans. A school is no different than any other building. You'll have classrooms, library, rest rooms, cafeteria, gym, auditorium, just like any other school. The size is determined by the amount of classrooms required for that school. All you have to do is the base plan in modular form and put it together. Any second year CAD student could do this in a few months and probably would never require any other modifications for future schools. It's a lot easier to do than to say. And have you noticed, NISD does not build on lots, they build on acreage which allows a ton of room for any drainage issues, placement of buildings, topo, etc. It's an incredibly easy thing to build that the taxpayer is getting hammered for.
I know all about prototype plans - I've worked on many myself. I would argue that most NISD schools are already based on prototype plans and that the only thing that is changed is the exterior skin. Yeah, an entry element of some sort might be added, but the additional cost is minor. If you want to argue about the actual program of the spaces, I may be inclined to agree with you.

Regarding the site, I respectfully disagree. Perhaps the high school sites are selected appropriately (after clearcutting all trees), but I've seen NISD elementary schools shoehorned on a butt-end piece of property that required extensive sitework.

I also don't believe a 2nd year cad student could put together plans - they do not have the necessary knowledge of accessibility, of basic building codes, of permitting procedures, etc (half of them don't even know proper dimensioning conventions). Prototypes do not cover everything. I'm also assuming we are only talking about new construction, because for renovations/additions we are adding a whole new set of skill sets.

Most importantly, we need to think about whether a school should be treated the same as a WalMart. I don't believe it should. Why is it wrong to spend an extra 1-2% to make a school look nice, be a place that kids want to go to, and a place that enhances (think property values) a neighborhood. I know many disagree with me - after all I've seen charter schools in the most depressing converted stripmalls without windows. I just could never subject my kids to that dreary environment.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,154,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I just could never subject my kids to that dreary environment.
I thought the same thing about John Jay HS. It looks kinda dead on the outside--old, definitely. It's in a run-down part of SA and I never find myself voluntarily over on Marbach and 410 for ANYTHING. However, when you go inside the school, the damn place is bursting with life, and people who care, and you can tell there is a ton of learning going on. I have effectively had my eyes opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio