U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM

30,140 posts, read 47,370,265 times

Advertisements

points about some posted remarks--

TRS is one of the HEALTHIEST retirement systems in the nation--and it will stay that way as long as the TX legislature does not get its greedy paws on the monies invested there AND if the legislature lives up to its legal requirement to fund its share --which it has been backsliding on doing
so the idea that TRS will go belly up anythime soon just shows the poster knows little about the retirement plan

IF teachers withdraw their retirement funds from TRS--they will be required to pay TAX on the monies and maybe a penalty for early withdrawal of untaxed retirement contributions

Teachers ARE eligible for filing for UEB is they are let-go by their districts in RIFs--
they are not eligible to file if they have been terminated for non-performance or if they have elected to resign, especially to apply for bonus money from the district for doing so--or to file for their own retirement which usually has to wait for the final paycheck which comes in August or September to take effect...

AND--regarding the look of the school's exterior--from a teacher's stand point and a parent's standpoint--what goes on INSIDE the school/classrooms is much more important than what the exterior of the school looks like--
anyone who makes decisions on schools based on the outward appearance just does not know how to evaluate a school...
I admit that older schools can be offputting when they look scruffy but just because a school is "modern" looking does not mean there is great education going on inside--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,088,558 times
Quote:
terminated for non-performance
What is non-performance????????

You can't get UEB if fired for misconduct (like illegal acts), but I have never heard of "non-performance".

Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM

420 posts, read 1,017,015 times
Non-performance sounds like they did not have as many students pass the state exams as the school wanted.

However, I can also see it being used as a catchall excuse. You didn't do anything wrong but they want to avoid saying they laid you off. If they try to deny you unemployment benefits you simply have to protest and write your explanation. It will come up if it was a group layoff or a legitimate termination. I would also hope that you have saved copies of any performance observations that have been done to show that it was not a long term case of low performance.

Also, Teachers cannot collect unemployment in the summer under normal circumstances. It used to be pretty standard that in the summer time teachers would collect unemployment during summer break so they put in a restriction to stop that if the teacher is still going back to work after summer is over. Any teachers that want to collect unemployment will have to wait for their contract to expire (for most that is in Mid August) then the wait period for unemployment will start.

It going to be a rough year for teachers.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,325,983 times
Sweatin' bullets here. 2nd year probationary in NEISD. Looks like we might find out something this coming week.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,479,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Sweatin' bullets here. 2nd year probationary in NEISD. Looks like we might find out something this coming week.
You are in my thoughts. Good Luck to you. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,088,558 times
And I'm a third year prob in NEISD.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,907,612 times
For those of you in NEISD, what have you heard? I keep looking but have not heard anything. I too have a vested interest.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,292,391 times
I don't know about the other schools, but MacArthur high school is as plain as they come, inside and out. It's just a big, square, brick building built large enough to handle the increase in student population.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,479,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
points about some posted remarks--

AND--regarding the look of the school's exterior--from a teacher's stand point and a parent's standpoint--what goes on INSIDE the school/classrooms is much more important than what the exterior of the school looks like--
anyone who makes decisions on schools based on the outward appearance just does not know how to evaluate a school...
I admit that older schools can be offputting when they look scruffy but just because a school is "modern" looking does not mean there is great education going on inside--
I'm guessing I was not clear in my post. I never said I didn't like old schools - my kids go to school in a well-worn, but well-designed structure built before most in SA were even born. We chose this school despite faded paint on the outside windows. My point is that I believe that kids learn better and teachers teach better in a well-designed environment. I went to elementary school during the "no windows" craze in the early 70's - now accepted as a failed experiment. I am very glad that my children can experience learning in a classroom that has natural light which studies have proven has a positive affect on kids.

Yes the educators are most important, but the environment itself is also crucial to a child's development. Otherwise, why are we even spending money to air condition the schools? Because a child must be comfortable in order to learn. The acoustics must be right - a room that echoes too much will cause fatigue . Too much glare from the wrong types of lights causes eye strain. The schools of the past actually have it right in their design! My honest opinion is that "strip mall schools" cannot compete and put their kids (and teachers) at a disadvantage. Why not provide the optimal conditions for learning?

Finally, I'll relate a real-world example. My wife is a teacher. Her school was built in the 1950's/early 60's. Some years ago, the district decided to improve the energy efficiency of the building and basically covered up all of the operable windows. She could no longer tell the time of day, the weather, etc. The attitude of the students actually changed. This "improvement" only lasted a few years and was reversed. Design does matter.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,325,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
For those of you in NEISD, what have you heard? I keep looking but have not heard anything. I too have a vested interest.
they have been pretty quiet in NEISD. NISD has at least pulled their probationary teachers aside and gave them dates on when to expect the ax to hit. I think NEISD is waiting to see what happens in Austin before telling us a "final" plan. The last thing I heard is they are looking at 1st year teachers in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio