U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,346 times

Advertisements

I am ex-felon living in San Antonio, TX who is less than 6 months from completing my Bachelors degree in Banking and Finance. It's been 9 years since my conviction and have completely turned by life around. I've done good with finding employment within small business dealing with government contracts. However, I have now been unemployed for the last 5 months due to a lay-off and I have been unable to find employment because of my felony. I was just sharing with a close friend the other day how fustrating it is that I've made and paid for my mistake almost 10 years ago and no one will give me chance to put my experience and education to the test. If anyone knows of a good company in San Antonio TX or Texas area that will hire me base on my situation please don't hesitate to share. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:25 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
While I don't have any specific leads right now, if you haven't already, create the largest list of personal testimonials that you can. Get them from people you've worked with/for and also from folks that know you personally and "knew you when". Get them to write detailed testimonials of how you've changed.

Also, start volunteering at places that help folks that are in the same place you were in years ago when you have time. You may meet other folks there that know of opportunities for you, and you'll also be helping others in the process, which the Lord richly rewards.

If you've truly changed (remember, I don't know you from Adam), keep plugging away and arm yourself with as much as you can to show potential employers up front. I've been very successful in sales and the biggest way to overcome an objection is to acknowledge it before the other party does and deal with it.

When an airplane takes off, it has to fly INTO the wind to get off the ground, so fly into the wind and disarm anyone you meet by saying immediately what you just told us here. Say I'm a felon, but I've changed, and here are "X" amount of people that know me very well and you can call to verify. Then suggest they hire you on a temporary basis and give you the opportunity to prove yourself.

The best employees are sometimes those given a second chance, because they truly VALUE the opportunity. Be that employee.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,890 times
I have no leads and no advice but I do hope you find something soon! I wish you all the best.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Like the others, I have no ideas to share with you, especially in the tight labor market we're currently in. I applaud your tenacity, though! I have ONE guy that MAY have something - I'll DM you his contact info. No promises whatsoever, and it IS a long shot - but if nothing else, he may be able to network you into some other leads.

Good luck to you!!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,518 times
Good luck on your search, it's tough out here in general so I know the old felony makes it even tougher. Hope you'll be back soon updating this thread with good news of employment.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM

318 posts, read 640,424 times
I have worked in the HR field, mainly with Fortune 500 companies, and the ones I have been associated with only looked at the past 7 years of criminal history when making an employment decision, assuming the felony wasn't for something extremely violent. Or for a money-related felony like theft, and you're applying for a job where you'd be handling money. You still have to mention it on an application, because it will come up on your background check and you don't want to look like you're lying, but a felony doesn't have to keep you from being employed.

I'm saying this having no idea what is in your background - none of my business - but unless the felony was extremely serious, I don't think you would be excluded from employment from most large companies.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM

318 posts, read 640,424 times
Oh - and you may want to try a temp agency just to get your foot in the door of a good company. Temp agency background checks aren't always as thorough, and I don't think they would necessarily exclude someone who has been out of trouble for 9+ years.

If you get into a good company as a temp, and you make yourself invaluable to your boss, you might be able to get converted to full-time. If the company does a more thorough background check during the full-time hiring process, you might still be able to stay because your boss will vouch for you.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,112 times
don't have any advice either. My hubby has been unemployed since June and can't find anything so I can imagine your obsticle. I hope you fin someone willing to give you a chance.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 AM

615 posts, read 1,325,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
don't have any advice either. My hubby has been unemployed since June and can't find anything so I can imagine your obsticle. I hope you fin someone willing to give you a chance.
Wife's been unemployed since we moved here a year ago (as of today!). She's also got no experience so you're already ahead of her there.

Good luck to you. We need more people like you who are rehabilitated by the system.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,211,265 times
My thought is to register at the State Emplyment agency...if you haven't already. I can't imagine the difficulty in finding a job in your situation. Especially since the job market is so tight anyway. Keep at it, with such tenacity your sure to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or