Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,070 times

Advertisements

It's going to be really scary knowing who to place all that confidence in building a new home and doing it correctly. Any idea from those of you who live there? Great companies you have heard of in passing?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 AM

160 posts, read 534,130 times
I was going to ask the same question after falling in love with some pictures of Newmark Homes.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 66,897 times
There are so many here it would be hard to say.Ive seen a few jaw dropping homes from "wilshire home" and "weekly homes". GUess it all depends on how much cash you got.Also if your looking for something a littel more personal rather than a "trac" custom builder.Mcgrath custom homes is the way to go.Patric Mcgrath is the owner, ive know him for about 10 years.He used to work for Pulte homes and went out on his own several years ago, he's a great guy and builds extraordinary homes. Link removed

Last edited by Yac; 07-21-2006 at 03:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 PM

Thanks RiverRat. I took a look at the site. He does build very nice homes. I'm not too keen on tin roofs though. The first time I saw a tin roof was when I was dispatched to Louisiana as part of a disaster assessment team, after Katrina. A lot of roofs had damage. I thought it was so wierd to have tin roofs. I do understand that they last a long, long time, though...sans the storms.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,552 times
David Anderson Homes is a really good SA custom builder.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I now have some choices.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,140 times
We just went & looked at David Weekley homes today. I don't know what your price point is but they were quite nice even starting at $220k. They will build on your lot. They also have some homes built in a community in Comal County. The house was nice but I wasn't wowed by the setting.

If you want more info, you can PM me. We are looking to move to SA from San Diego and drove to at least a dozen home sites past 1604.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 AM

470 posts, read 1,951,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
It's going to be really scary knowing who to place all that confidence in building a new home and doing it correctly. Any idea from those of you who live there? Great companies you have heard of in passing?
Fact is that you cannot put your full trust in any one builder. Though some may seem better than others, you can get stuck with a really incompetent superintendant from a more "reputable" builder. Or vice-versa.

The best thing you can do is hire your own inspector DURING construction, and stay on top of your builder as much as possible during the process.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
jp5

14 posts, read 71,648 times
This is repeat of a prior post.

I can recommend NOT to go with Wilshire. Horrific service through the entire process. We were actually aware of the poor reputation before we bought, but because their houses aren't selling, we got an outstanding deal.

We are pretty easy-going folks. We kept a list of build problems through the house, which we regularly conveyed to the builder and were summarily ignored through the building process. At closing, we still had a long list which we asked them to put in writing that they would be fixed after closing (horrible idea right? Getting pushed out of our rental because build time was 6 months longer than promised, so we had to move). Builder starts screaming at us at the top of his lungs like a maniac that his word is good and we are calling him a liar by asking him to put anything in writing and we should should just walk away and let them keep the deposit. Crazy! Anyway, just one short example of a horrible building process.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
You mentioned CUSTOM homes.....some of those mentioned are "custom track" developers. They have the basic formula down and can "alter" their floorplans to give that "custom" look.....but they are not true "custom" builders.

David Weekley has consistantly built quality for a custom tract builder.

I have first hand experience with Radiance Homes....a truly independent custom builder. They have done a great job with homes throughout SA, but they are not in the "developemet" business. You get a smaller firm and you will have hands on communication with THE builder. That's nice to have instead of a customer service project/sales manager that knows how to talk up the good things and downplay the negatives.

Also check out the San Antonio Builders Association for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio