U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM

22 posts, read 41,405 times

Advertisements

I moved to SA a little over 6 years ago from Southern CA, Orange County to be exact. I am a 36 yo single woman, was married when I moved here. Yes, there was a bit of culture shock in the first few months, but if you have an open mind to exploring new things you should have no problem. I find SA to be conservative, which I am so no biggie there. The people are very friendly so striking up a conversation with anyone is usually a given where ever you happen to be. I find the night life fun. Don't get me wrong, it is nothing like heading to Hollywood or Vegas, but it is fun. If you love the beach in CA, you will be disappointed as the Gulf is a glorified lake. Nothing like the Pacific at all. Though I have fallen in love with toobing the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers. As others have said, the roads suck, but most of the roadways in CA are always under construction so I don't find that to be an issue. Property taxes are higher, but we don't have state taxes so it is kind of a wash. The weather did take a bit of getting used to. After the first summer, I was fine with it.

All in all, I would say I love living in SA. After my divorce, I decided to stay here even though my entire family is still in CA. I am trying to get them all to move here. I should have also mentioned that I did live in Glendale, AZ for a little over a year. I have come to the conclusion that every where is like every where else. You will always have the "big box" retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. You will always be able to find a Chili's, TGIFridays, etc. Your norm is always around you, but what is fun about a new city is finding the hidden gems within it. Your experience will be what you make it. If you come to a new city with apprehension and the idea that the locals should bend to your whim, you will hate it. If you come with an open mind and are willing to put yourself out there, you will love it.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM

124 posts, read 210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam143 View Post
I agree with all that has been said except for all the jesus stuff because I personally stay to my self, Im a urban suburban type of person, and the way san antonio is built rubs me the wrong way!! SA has a less than type of feel to me, and I feel thats because they dont have state taxes....I work with some one whom is from cali and they are ready to go back. Their have been other people Ive met at work that say they dont like the weather here..so you really have to spend time here yourself !!!!!!! we all have different point of views....
I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone complain about Texas not having a state tax. Also, I can understand not liking San Antonio for numerous reasons, since it's not for everyone, but how is it responsible for the weather? Were you not aware of San Antonio's location prior to moving? Yep...you're in South Texas, baby! It gets flippin' hot and humid!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 AM

124 posts, read 210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzb98 View Post
Your norm is always around you, but what is fun about a new city is finding the hidden gems within it. Your experience will be what you make it. If you come to a new city with apprehension and the idea that the locals should bend to your whim, you will hate it. If you come with an open mind and are willing to put yourself out there, you will love it.
Great post!

This is it exactly! Instead of missing and complaining about what a new place doesn't have, enjoy what it has to offer. Make the effort to go outside your comfort zone, if need be.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,738,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratd View Post
San Antonio is a very simple city with no flair and character.
And Austin is the mecca of flair, character and refinement? Oh, come now. I personally like the feel of San Antonio better.

OP, the only way you will know if San Antonio is a fit for you and your girl friend is to visit the city and look around. Take a long romantic weekend and visit, she will like that. Asking opinions is fine and you can get some good information that way, but in the end its only your opinion that matters.

It's still a buyers market and you can get some pretty good deals on houses there. Check the foreclosures if you are thinking of buying. I never had people pushing their religious views on me when I was there, I doubt that has changed any. It does get hot and that we can all agree on.

As far as total tax burden, California is one of the worst at 10.3 percent, while Texas comes in with 7.9 Percent. See the attached link. Property Taxes have risen in Texas since I lived there, but over all they still rank behind many states in total tax burden. The second link shows the property tax rates by state, notice taxes as percent of income and rank, Cali is 15th and Texas is 12th so not a huge difference there.

Best of luck to ya, what ever you decide to do.

State and local tax burden falls to 9.8% of income in 2009 - Feb. 23, 2011
The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by State, 2004 - 2009

Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 PM

318 posts, read 640,138 times
I grew up in NorCal, not SoCal, so it's not exactly the same, but I have to say that San Antonio is a pretty nice place to live. I do miss the California climate and the ocean, but I don't miss the high cost of living or the terrible traffic and crowding. Yes, there is traffic here at rush hour and at other times during the weekend when events are going on, but there isn't California-style traffic.

I find the people here to be really great. Friendly, helpful, polite. I put an offer on a house that was more expensive than I was planning to pay, but the cost would have been double in the area where I grew up in Caifornia and about half as big. I think SA's economy will grow, as will the entire Texas economy, while I think more companies will continue to leave California due to the costs, state government, etc.

Someone commented that they didn't like it here because they are used to suburban and didn't like it here, but I personally find it to be very suburban here. Which is fine with me because I grew up in suburbs. But I do think there are a lot of interesting things here that aren't suburban; due to the history of Texas and San Antonio, there are interesting historical sites such as the Alamo, the missions, etc. And there are some unique neighborhoods that I don't really remember having in California.

Summers will be hot, but otherwise weather won't be an issue. I suggest coming out and taking a look around. You could definitely do worse than SA as a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio