U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times

Advertisements

Two local bars are under investigation by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission for serving an amount of beer Police Chief William McManus says totaled nearly 2 gallons to the driver who died in a crash that also killed a police officer.

Read more: 2 bars probed in fatal DWI - San Antonio Express-News

TWO FRIGGIN' GALLONS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM

898 posts, read 2,621,127 times
Quote:
“They were there a really long time, and we cut them off,” Wynne said by phone Tuesday. “We did not see any signs of intoxication.”

They served them 10 pints of beer and saw no signs of intoxication? Perhaps someone that has worked in a bar can explain how one determines when to stop serving alcohol.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post

They served them 10 pints of beer and saw no signs of intoxication? Perhaps someone that has worked in a bar can explain how one determines when to stop serving alcohol.
First, I don't see why they make this information public before the investigation is over
Second, bars make money ......... Selling alcohol
so they are always selling it to drunk people, how are they supposed to know exactly at what point to stop selling it to a drunk person?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,876,686 times
There supposedly is a standard and training for such. If they violated it - bust him hard. I did some work in that area years ago on the efficacy of such programs. If a bar values the bucks over public safety - like I said - bust him.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM

11,166 posts, read 20,489,510 times
Ten pints of beer, served to a group of three or four people, spread over five hours? (according to the owner of the Flying Saucer)

160 ounces of beer/four people= 40 ounces each works out to less than 1 12oz can of beer an hour

Also it was served with food, according to the bar owner.

Looking at photos of Baldaramos, he looks to have been at least 180-200 lbs. Two pints in an hour would probably put him at the legal limit. If he drank six pints over the course of five hours, that would also probably put him at .08. But even assuming the ten pints were split between three people, that would be three pints, spread over five hours.

I think the chief needs to wait for the toxicology report on the driver.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times
McManus says:

According to McManus, Baldaramos drank between 12 and 15 pints at the Flying Saucer and the Oak Hills Tavern.

So....yes, we need to wait till the toxicology report comes out. But why would Shannon say he refused to serve them any more, if it was the way HE says it happened--spread out over so many hours, served with food, and between so many people? I don't believe him.<<<<<which is not slander. LOL

Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM

11,166 posts, read 20,489,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Second, bars make money ......... Selling alcohol
so they are always selling it to drunk people, how are they supposed to know exactly at what point to stop selling it to a drunk person?
The servers are required to take a short class teaching them the signs of intoxication. Usually you're told to watch for slurred speech, red eyes, staggering, etc...There's some math involved about estimating body weight and calculating how many drinks per hour, info about slowing a drinker's consumption by offering them food, etc...

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the math end of things when I was taking the classes, because I was working retail stores with off premise licenses, so all I had to worry about was making sure they were not intoxicated at the time of purchase.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,223,046 times
am I the only one that appreciates how you combined "Flying Saucers" and "probed"?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM

314 posts, read 724,884 times
^^^Funny^^^

The Guy (the drunk) was an idiot...sorry the Officer had to die.

What happened to personal responsibility?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM

202 posts, read 501,375 times
I don't believe the bar can be held responsible. Who is to say that a sober friend wasn't ordering the drinks at the bar. How is a bartender/server supposed to know who is drinking what is ordered in a crowded place. Secondly, how many people show up to a bar already having had a couple drinks at home. Is the bartender supposed to know that too? Is all comes down to personal responsibility. I guarantee you had they not served him he would have bought beer at a gas station or somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or