U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,260 posts, read 19,751,664 times
Default Bring South by Southwest to San Antonio? One columnist (and one city council rep) thinks it's time to try.

A San Antonio Business Journal columnist suggests that the city should try to lure the South by Southwest Music and Interactive Festival from Austin, since it appears to be outgrowing that city.

[LEFT]
Quote:
South by Southwest may have overstayed its welcome in Austin

Among the concerns in Austin is the volume of people who now converge on the city for SXSW.

So what’s the worst that could happen if San Antonio tossed its hat into the ring?
[LEFT]
Read more: South by Southwest may have overstayed its welcome in Austin | San Antonio Business Journal
[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:33 PM

565 posts, read 705,627 times
SXSW has always been in Austin it is the live music capital of the world. Why would they ever want to change it to SA? I don't think SA has enough bars or concert venues to hold all the concerts in downtown. I'm not sure what other area of town they have in it. I do sort of agree with the writer that said "Others will insist that San Antonio is not nearly hip enough to host something such as this." SA and Austin are so very different cities that I'm not sure if a music and film festive that big would work out here.

How could I forget that SXSW is mostly indie artist not top 40. We don't even have a good indie radio station here. A lot of SAians probably wouldn't even know who these artist were unless their into that kind of music. SA needs to get better a music scene before we try to host something like SXSW.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM

2,846 posts, read 3,535,834 times
I just wish that some of the Top 40 artists and even comedians that make their way to Austin for the second week of sxsw would trek their way down here afterwards (or even some indie bands that I might know). Houston and Dallas get big ticket shows all the time and Austin gets this and we're left in the dust. Only a 2 hour drive would give them an increase in revenue/exposure and those of us that don't want to drive the 2 hours and deal with the crowds the option to see the people that are up there.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,091,457 times
Yeah...I just don't see this happening. Ever.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 PM

565 posts, read 705,627 times
I hate that Houston and Dallas usually get all big ticket shows. Artist should add SA too because 3 hrs is a long drive for a concert to Houston on a week night. They could make more money if added SA. Texas is such a big state that you need to add more cities than just Dallas and Houston.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,260 posts, read 19,751,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Yeah...I just don't see this happening. Ever.
IMO if a tech-industry heavy hitter like Rackspace would throw its weight (and money) behind the idea in a few years, it could happen. Rackspace hasn't reached that level of clout yet. I'm not sure that SA has any other relevant corporate titans they could partner with to make it happen any sooner.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM

4,048 posts, read 6,041,946 times
It'll never happen. Even if a heavy hitter got behind it, they'd have better PR getting behind it and making a way to keep it in Austin. It's an Austin grown event. It'd be like Fiesta being held in Houston because it's bigger. Never happen.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,091,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It'll never happen. Even if a heavy hitter got behind it, they'd have better PR getting behind it and making a way to keep it in Austin. It's an Austin grown event. It'd be like Fiesta being held in Houston because it's bigger. Never happen.
exactly!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 PM

838 posts, read 1,707,702 times
I've kept up with SXSW for many years now, and especially this year, music has taken a back seat to other things, mainly internet related things. I think its a great idea

Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 PM

5,124 posts, read 6,556,382 times
I think we should try to make our own similar type of event here. I can think of a few bands, singers that could start us off. It's going to be a small thing at first but can grow as it goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio