Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
What we're primarily looking for is an event with local vendors (NOT made in china tourist crap), local food (NOT deepfried mass produced frozen crap), and something for the kids to enjoy.
This looks like the perfect event for you and your family:Event Single « Fiesta San Antonio
Proceeds help support the school and it is well done.

Quote:
For me, it just gets aggravating trying to read a 2 paragraph explanation on the Fiesta website for what an event is supposed to be, commute 30 minutes downtown, pay 10 dollars for parking, walk 3 blocks, only to find out that said event isn't even close to what the 2 paragraph explanation said it would be.
Not all of the events are downtown Verio and not all events have parking fees. I just got back from El Rey Fido Coronation that helps raise money for the Humane Society and I got free parking at the Grand Hyatt and they had free food! I don't think I have ever walked 3 blocks to a Fiesta event or pay $10 to park...I kinda know all the little places and pay around $7 or $8.
If there is an event that catches your fancy, ask here and see what our thoughts are on it. Gives us an idea of your budget, what you're looking for and other posters can chime in on their ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 24,978 times
We have lived here in San Antonio for over 10 years now and we have found that some of the events are definitely not events for us. Over the years though we have found a couple that we enjoy, such as Viva Botanica at the Botanical Gardens (which was today). This one is great as we have 2 little girls that love to explore the flowers and gives us an opportunity to get some beautiful photos of them. One of the other events is Fiesta de Ninos on the Riverwalk.

Last year the city had the first ever park for individuals with special needs open. Yesterday was the first Fiesta Especial at Morgan's Wonderland. I would have loved to have attended and am planning to do so next year with my girls.

As our girls do become older, my husband and I do hope to be able to attend more events with them, and just the two of us.

There are so many events to choose from. There are the sports events (soccer tournament, 10K runs/walks), music, and cultural.....just to describe a few.

IMHO.....pick an event that sounds of interest....even if it is on the other side of town....and go. If you just try to stay in one particular part of town, how do you know what there is available in a city of this size. Fiesta gives everyone the chance to explore the city and learn what the different areas have to offer.

I've also read that parking is an issue, especially to the events downtown. My answer is public transportation (VIA) and carpooling. Parking at a Park & Ride and then catching the bus downtown or pretty much anywhere in the city can help alleviate the parking issue. This does take some preplanning and having an alternate plan just in case, but what these days doesn't take a little bit of thought.

I hope everyone enjoys the week and is safe at all times whether or not you are attending an event.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
The Monticello Park Tour of Homes was wonderful! Looking forward to the Fiesta Arts Fair tomorrow!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
And the Fiesta Arts Fair was great too! They added another area for music, which is great! The Lavens were playing while we were there (they have a residency at The Cove). It was fun to see them out and about.

I enjoyed a gordita (yes, my annual gordita. Clearly I am a fat person.) and a fantastic watermelon agua fresca. Lots of great art that I can't afford but love to dream about, and saw a whole bunch of people I know.

I had a great first weekend of Fiesta!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
...and a fantastic watermelon agua fresca.
OMG. This is my absolute favorite delicious drink ever.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
mrstxcop, thank you for your post. We'll try and check out the King Williams parade, and possibly some other events in the evening. I guess our family's problem is just "getting" the whole Fiesta mindset. You have to understand where we moved from, Connecticut and Massachusetts both have wonderful fairs and festivals, but they are usually held in one area over multiple days.

What we're primarily looking for is an event with local vendors (NOT made in china tourist crap), local food (NOT deepfried mass produced frozen crap), and something for the kids to enjoy.

We LOVE to buy local crafts and we've always done so at the "Big-E" and the "Sailfest" in the Northeastern states. We always want to bring mementos home with us.

For me, it just gets aggravating trying to read a 2 paragraph explanation on the Fiesta website for what an event is supposed to be, commute 30 minutes downtown, pay 10 dollars for parking, walk 3 blocks, only to find out that said event isn't even close to what the 2 paragraph explanation said it would be.
I think you'd like the King William Parade and Fair. The parade is earlier - at 10, the fair opens after that. Lots of local artisans and local folks preparing food. There's a whole area of kid entertainment. The parade is very much everyone do what they want, it's fun and funky. And you don't *have* to pay for parking. There is plenty of street parking in Lavaca, just make sure you park legally as the cops come out that day. Now, you will have to walk 3 blocks, but really, is 3 blocks a lot to walk?

The arts fair at the Southwest School of Art is wonderful, but I think it was this weekend.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Cornyation! Although don't bring your kids.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Not even close. There are MANY events that do not feature drinking as the main attraction. Ever been to the Fiesta Arts Fair? I didn't think so. Ever been to one of the many neighborhood home tours? I didn't think so. Gartenfest? The parades? King William Fair?

Gartenfest has its share of drunks...although well behaved...hard to resist that good beer

Did Ft Sam last night, and saw lots of kids and families there, and would suggest that as family friendly

Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM

124 posts, read 245,521 times
To whoever said that Fiesta is a state of mind...exactly! I'm also one who appreciates this time of year in San Antonio! If going to the various events labels me a "drunk" or another "Fat Idiots Eating Stale Tacos Again," so be it. I love the crowds and camaradarie I get out of going. Granted, you do have your share of "bad apples," but I can deal with it, so I'm good.

To those of you who truly "get" Fiesta - Have a great time and enjoy every minute of it! Viva Fiesta!

To those of you who don't choose to participate - Thanks for staying home and not spoiling it for the rest of us!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM

What's not to "get" about a 10-day long city wide party? it's not that complicated of a concept. Lots of events, lots of celebration, spread across the city.

yes, it takes a few years to figure out which events you most enjoy and which you're happy to never go to again. Once you do that, you can plan our your fiesta activities and enjoy!

If you want ONLY a weekend-long event in one location, we have plenty of those too. At least one per month if not more. San Antonio has no shortage of parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio