Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Xeriscaping is not for everyone. A couple of my neighbors did that. One maintains their landscape meticulously. It's rare to see a weed or more than a couple of leaves on that lot.

The other neighbor hires someone to tend their lot about twice a year. In the meantime, they let weeds and leaves accumulate all over their crushed granite. Great savings for the neighbor. Not so attractive for the neighborhood. I liked it better when they had to mow.
Xeriscape doesn't mean all cactus and crushed granite. There are many many beautiful native and/or drought tolerant plants that are wonderful. And while any grass will require some water, planting it only where it's used (ie for kids to run and play) and planting a drought tolerant variety will save a lot of water.
And look at other ways to save water - set up rain barrels for collection when it does rain. Collect washing machine water. Take shorter showers. use low-flow toilets and shower heads. Lots and lots of very simple things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,708,313 times
Snakes LOVE Xeriscape landscaping

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 AM

87 posts, read 330,538 times
Bring on the drought! I've got about a mile (no, I'm not exaggerating) of soaker hose and bamboo drip laid out.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
call me a watering novice, but could someone tell me how to use a soaker hose? It sounds like an appealing idea. Do you just use it in beds?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
I've often thought of replacing my lawn with astro turf. Be green all year, never have to water..

Never again get that soft whoops feeling of stepping in a fire ant mound....

Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
M2F's - soaker hoses are generally used in flower beds and around foundations. Place a length of it w/a square-sided pan under it, turn on the water and time it. Then see how long it takes it to put the amount of water you want into the pan (i.e., 1/2", 1", etc.). That will tell you how long to leave it going for the desired effect. Be sure it's a square-sided pan, though - if it's angled (like a pie pan), the angled areas will give you an inaccurate reading. Cake pans work well, though...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 AM

898 posts, read 2,895,003 times
so san antonio gets its water from just one place, the edwards aquifer? I've been reading on how houston and dallas get their water, and they have different lakes, surface, and underground water.

Last edited by tony78201; 04-15-2011 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: research

Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
so san antonio gets its water from just one place, the edwards aquifer? I've been reading on how houston and dallas get their water, and they have different lakes, surface, and underground water.
True.....and the locals will tell you the water tastes like bovine excrement and pressure is often so low that most commercial establishments have booster pumps.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
No. There are two water utilities serving San Antonio, SAWS and Bexar Met. According to BexarMet Water District - Our Water Resources

Quote:
BexarMet draws upon the following water resources:
  • Edwards Aquifer
  • Trinity Aquifer
  • Carrizo Aquifer
  • Medina River / Medina Lake
  • Lake Dunlap
  • Canyon Lake
And according to San Antonio Water System: Water Resource Projects, SAWS has the following:

Quote:
Existing Water Resources
Edwards Aquifer
Twin Oaks Aquifer Storage and Recovery
Recycled Water
Trinity Aquifer
Western Canyon Project

Future Water Supply Projects
Recharge Initiative
Brackish Water Desalination
Regional Carrizo Project
LCRA-SAWS Water Supply Project
Ocean Water Desalination

Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,708,313 times
I worked with an engineering firm that did brackish water desalination into drinking water...basically that's taking sewer water and making it drinkable.

No thanks. I dig my own water well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio