Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Okay....I'm doing research in preparation for replacing our privacy fencing, and knowing the wide range of folks we have here, I KNOW that we'll have someone that can answer this:

What's the best choice of wood for doing a privacy fence? Seems to me that I've heard "Spruce", but I don't recall for sure - and this isn't something I particularly want to do again in the near future - we're talkin' 200' of fencin' on each side, and another 120' along the back. Will probable do it ourselves, but need recommendations on the best type of wood to do it with. We'll likely do basket weave - from my experience, it's got the lowest wind-load of any of the privacy type fences.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM

144 posts, read 360,073 times
TR:

I'm not an expert, but we just had a picket fence built, and I can tell you from research that cedar is one of the better materials, and therefore more expensive. I saw lots of fence companies who sold panels made of cedar...

This may help...

Wood Fence - Wood Privacy Fence | Fence Companies - Find a Fence Company Near You Today - USFenceGuide.com

Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Pressure treated wood and hand select each and every piece. It does last longer than cedar. Cedar looks nicer and takes stain better, but does not last as long as pressure treated. A thick cedar post may last forever, but a thin fence plank does NOT.
Use metal post with concrete in the ground and the brackets to mount the (pressured treated) 2x4 sideways.
Use deck screws and put the board right next to each other...they are wet and and will shrink in about a year and leave the perfect tiny gap in between the boards to let enough wind through.

Try to avoid having any of the boards touch the ground.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I prefer cedar and am actually in the process of getting mine replaced. Pressure treated will last a long time, but so will cedar. The difference is that pressure treated tends to warp and bend. Even if you hand pick each picket. If you do pressure treated, you NEED to make sure you have three cross beams (2x4) to at least try to minimize it, but you'll still have some warped pickets. Cedar stands very straight and looks good for a long time. It's also easily power washed and stained when it gets older.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks, guys....looks like we're leaning to cedar. Also looks like a DIY project - between the two sides and back, I'll have about 400' to do - it's gonna git expensive! Mebbe I'll put up a collection jar....

Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I'm looking at about the same amount that I'm having replaced. I just did the math in my head on how long it'll take me vs how long it'll take the pros, and went with them. Have to pay for the materials either way. They gave me a pretty aggressive bid too. Let me know if you want their info. He did my gates a while back and I was thoroughly impressed.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Kevin - yeah, please DM me their info....

Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM

134 posts, read 384,694 times
3 tips...

-Make sure they use the wider planks as they will not warp as easily
-Make sure they use galvanized ring shank nails which have groves that grab the wood. They won't come loose like regular nails
-If you can afford it, get a 3 rail fence as they are more stable and will further prevent warping.

I got all three for my fence last sumer and am very happy with it.

P.s. I got cedar pickets but PT rails and posts since they are thick so warping isn't an issue. They are a bit different in color but as it ages they will blend more and the fence should last a really long time.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the input - yeah, we're definitely going with the wider boards! Also, you've gotta watch out, because some of the fencing the box stores sell is actually 5/8" instead of a full 3/4", which means it won't last as long, and be a lot more prone to warping.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
My neighbor just installed a new fence himself, but he bought the boards at Pecos Fencing instead of the box stores. Little more expensive, but when replacing a fence(which is not really something you like to do often), go with the good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio