Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by devriendte View Post
Can you tell me what it is about Stone Oak that you don't like...I have heard the traffic is pretty rough...any other thoughts?
The traffic can be tough during rush hour--much like most parts of San Antonio. However, with the additional lanes added to Blanco it is much better. Monday and Wednesday I was on Blanco during rush hour (between 5:20-6:30) and traffic was flowing, there weren't huge backups at the light, AND I got all the way to the YMCA in no more then 5 minutes. It was a shock having driven on it when it was only 2 lanes. My husband drives all the way past 1604/35 for work--takes 30-35 minutes. I drove my son to preschool near Churchill HS around 9:30 and it took 13 minutes.

It's all relative to where you are going to work and go and at what times. Stone Oak Pkwy is a pain during rush hour, 281 is a pain during rush hour, 1604 is a pain during rush hour...If you are going toward IH10, Stone Oak is closer then Thousand Oaks--15 minutes to Fiesta TX . If you are going across town on 281, Thousand Oaks is. I can get to a huge HEB in less then 10 minutes AND 2 SuperTargets. Not every part of town can say that. It takes less then 10 minutes to drive my son to school everyday because he goes to a neighborhood school that is not on a major road.

Oh and there are trees in many of the neighborhoods. We sold a house with .27 acres and 4 huge oak trees last summer when we moved to NC. The rental we are in now, yes we're already back, has at least 3 oaks. The newer neighborhoods are more sparse--like they are everywhere in SA--but Stone Oak has several neighborhoods that are 15-30 years old and they have trees.

If it doesn't work for you that's fine but I'm pretty tired of people making blanket statements about this area that aren't true. It's like the attitude I remember people having about AH 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Oh and there are trees in many of the neighborhoods. We sold a house with .27 acres and 4 huge oak trees last summer when we moved to NC. The rental we are in now, yes we're already back, has at least 3 oaks. The newer neighborhoods are more sparse--like they are everywhere in SA--but Stone Oak has several neighborhoods that are 15-30 years old and they have trees.
Please don't hate, but I have like 35-45 oaks... and a beautiful massive elm.

You know what though, I like Stone Oak. A lot. Lots of families... it's a very lovely area of SA. And no doubt the schools are excellent. But there are excellent schools all over SA. Really, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

No problem, I don't want that much acreage right now anyway although I love trees and have never lived in a house without oaks in the yard. The one over off Jones Maltsburger actually had the least amount of trees we have ever had. I understand giving info but I'm just floored by the Stone Oak haters on this forum. Good gosh, it's a just neighborhood with good and bad things about it. To say there are NO trees is ludicrous when there are areas with plenty of trees. I'm sure the OP isn't buying sight unseen (although I did rent off the internet and I would be unhappy but I only have to live in it a year!) so if they want trees they will get a house with trees.

I have first-hand knowledge of the areas and things the OP was asking about. I provided it and wanted to correct the blanket statements made that were incorrect.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 04-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
We actually moved FROM the NCTONA area TO Stone Oak about 10 years ago...it actually cut DOWN on traffic for us, because we both had to cross the 281/1604 interchange.

We are still very happy with our decision, and, for us, the roadway improvements have decreased traffic.

We were not in public school when we lived off of Thousand Oaks, but are now. We would have been fine either way, but I would give the edge to the schools we are in now over the ones we would have been in. But it's hair splitting at best.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:38 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. Unfortunately, we lived there for 3 years.
FCF...why do you spend so much time and energy trashing San Antonio? I mean, we get it, you hate it, but not everyone is like you. Many others have found SA a very nice place to call home...

Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Pretty much any school in that area would be pretty good. My kid attends K at Huebner (NEISD, covering Deerfield and parts of Inwood, among others) which we love and next year will attend Blattman (NISD) which also seems pretty good. REcently did a lot of house hunting in the Stone Oak area and all the schools have awesome facilities and excelent ratings: Canyon Ridge, Hardy Oak, Tuscany Heights, Stone Oak, etc...hard to pick wrong. We ended up buying a little further west (closer to I10) but still in the same general area. We love it.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,361 times
Maybe consider Garden Ridge Area ! What I like about GR is that there is no commercial buildings and the property taxes are less than 2% ! If you have any questions, please let me know !

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM

10 posts, read 26,172 times
I truly appreciate the feedback...no, not planning on buying sight unseen...we may actually have to go the rental route if our house here doesn't sell...we'll join my husband out there at the end of May and spend some time scoping out the areas you have all mentioned...thanks again!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Sorry, I've been a bit touchy lately waiting on some medical reports and I shouldn't have let people hating my neighborhood get to me. Oh and for those of you laughing at my 3 trees, I checked and there are actually 11 once I counted each little oak plus the non-oak trees. There are 3 big oaks which cover large sections of the yard.

I also wanted to say that while I think renting is a great idea--wish I'd talked my husband into it in NC so we wouldn't still own a house there--the market is fairly tight in this part of SA so if you find a house that works don't wait too long. When looking for our rental anything reasonable was going fast--reasonable still being more then we'd pay to buy w/taxes. Also, if you do end up in Stone Oak go to the NEISD website and check your street. There has been alot of changes to the boundaries. I also forgot a new school is going in over in The Vinyard which could possibly include some of the homes inside 1604. All the schools out here are great but if you've focused on one I don't want you to end up in another because something changed recently.

Good luck and remember to bring shorts and swimsuits when you come in May--it will be hot!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 AM

217 posts, read 1,758,196 times
Most of schools in NISD I like the area off of 151 not as expensive but nice. In this economy my advice get something that is affordable to you any and all areas can be subject to crime we use to live in a gated community but moved due to assignment. I pray you find a good area but get what is in your budget,all schools have some Postives and negatives but some do better than others it also depends on staff support and how you work with your children whereever they go. I wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio