Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 36,189 times

Advertisements

Hi I just heard from a friend that there are a lot of Brown recluse spiders in San Antonio and that they have a very nasty bite that eats out your flesh. Creepy. I looked it up online and there seems to be some truth to his allegation; at least on the creepy wound. My question is how common are they really in San Antonio. Do you have them in your home? Do you know anyone that has been bitten? IS there an area of the city where you are more likely to find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
About the same amount as in So Cal...how many have you seen?

Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 36,189 times
I have never seen one and I do not live in So Cal so I think I cannot relate to your answer can you be more explicit please

Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I have lived in or around San Antonio/Austin for over 40 years and have seen less than a dozen, been bitten by none, and have seen over 20 people that have been bitten. Only two had serious injury as a result of slow treatment.

They are common, but will usually avoid people and won't bite unless threatened. If you are cautious around weeds and trashpiles, stay out of crawlspaces and the like, you will have little to fear.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
A friend of mine got bitten by one out at her ranch, where they are fairly common. She had been taught as a child to recognize both the spider and their bite, so she got quick treatment and is none the worse for wear. If you are aware of your surroundings and pay attention to your body for any new bites or stings, you should be fine. San Antonio has its fair share of critters, but they're more scared of us than we should be of them.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
A guy I worked with at MRSOC was bit by one twice and they did a number on the skin of his arm. I'm sure that was really bad luck, but makes me a little more careful..

my major complaint are the ones that build webs around my porch at night. It doesn't happen every night, but I REALLY don't like being face to face with a spider when I let my dog out at 4:00ish in the morning...

Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
In 40 years in Texas, I've never seen one.....and don't know anyone that has been bitten by one. When I lived in Dallas I heard about an employee of the same company I was working for had been bitten.....20 years ago. I didn't know her....or if the story was true.

Study up and know what to look for.....these spiders are all over the US....Texas is no exception.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Spiders are pretty stupid sometimes. The other day I was walking into my front door and I saw a small one dropping down his web near the threshold. I didn't think much of it.

It happened again the next day. This time he went a lot lower and I swear he was just waiting for a chance to get inside. I ended that fantasy pretty quickly. Not that he would have found much of interest except for a heavily sprayed front area near my door.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 8,937 times
Brown recluse spiders are very common and more so in backyards with lots of tall grass, brushes, weeds, and trashpiles. Not many bites recorded to humans due to the fact that these spiders are easily scared by people and noises; in most cases they leave when they hear people coming or steps around their habitat, unless they are in a spiderweb which in this case they are hunting for food.

Venom toxicity - the brown recluse venom can cause significant cutaneous injury with tissue loss and necrosis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Habitat - brown recluse is found in the United States from the east to the west coast, with predominance in the south. Texas!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider Identification - an adult spider is 1/4 to 3/4 inch in body - a dark violin shape is located on the top of the leg attachment region with the neck of the violin pointing backward toward the abdomen. Unlike most spiders that have 8 eyes, the brown recluse has 6 eyes arranged in pairs - one pair in front and a pair on either side.

Last edited by leoquintero; 04-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I once met someone who had to have skin grafts after receiving a brown recluse bite. She worked in a dusty, old building and was reaching for something that had fallen between her desk and the wall when she was bitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: