Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,075 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where a new kid moving into the the renaissance subdivision would go to elementary school? The NEISD map shows Wilderness Oaks but it is capped.

We have called the NEISD people but the really have no clue. The mentioned that the back up is Hardy Oak, but they have a wait list. Now it appears as though they are stuck. When pressed to say what happens if the kids are too far down on the wait list to get into Hardy Oak their response is that they don't know and really just kind of leave it at that.

Am I getting in touch with the wrong people? How is it that they don't know this less than a month away from the start of the school year? Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
Does anyone know where a new kid moving into the the renaissance subdivision would go to elementary school? The NEISD map shows Wilderness Oaks but it is capped.

We have called the NEISD people but the really have no clue. The mentioned that the back up is Hardy Oak, but they have a wait list. Now it appears as though they are stuck. When pressed to say what happens if the kids are too far down on the wait list to get into Hardy Oak their response is that they don't know and really just kind of leave it at that.

Am I getting in touch with the wrong people? How is it that they don't know this less than a month away from the start of the school year? Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks
Are you calling the district office or the campus? Here's the number listed on their website for info about capping: 210-804-7070 - Pupil Personnel Services.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:59 PM

that is who I called. Needless to say I am a little disappointed in the people designated to help out. I was routed to about 5 different people and none could provide any real answer.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,894 times
Wow...that's not good. What that probably means, though, is that they've got more kids than they expected at that grade level at Hardy Oak, and my best guess (still a guess) is that they'll open another classroom at that grade level. It happens a lot...they project a certain number of kids at each grade level, and sometimes those numbers are off. They may end up with fewer 3rd graders and way more 5th graders, so a teacher ends up getting moved to a different grade level, or if their numbers are high for all classes but they aren't capped, they end up hiring additional teachers.

I'm sure you've already called the campus, but keep calling...they'll probably know something before the district office.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

not yet. I thought about that several minutes ago and figured it was probably too late to get anyone. I think I will try that tomorrow. In the meantime - if anyone knows more specifics about this situation don't hesitate to post.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
not yet. I thought about that several minutes ago and figured it was probably too late to get anyone. I think I will try that tomorrow. In the meantime - if anyone knows more specifics about this situation don't hesitate to post.

Thanks
The campus will not reopen until Monday August 6th. And that first day back, you -may- not be successful in getting an answer.

It's not that they are trying to avoid you. They really don't want to tell you one thing, then have to change answers. The schools N of 1604 are FULL. HOWEVER, they are all, right now, trying to get as many portables in place, etc., and get permission to hire more teachers. MAny people who registered last spring will not show up. Generally, if a child doesn't show the first (2?) days without explanation, they are dropped from the rolls if the school has a waitlist.

The reason they don't know where the waitlist kids would be sent is that other schools have overflow/waitlists, too. I know that for Canyon Ridge, the overflow school is Stone Oak. I would -assume- that the overflow school for Hardy Oak is Wilderness Oak, but that may be capped, too.

Another twist: kids in the attendance area of an "overflow" school do have priority over overflow kids. So, if the overflow school has a sudden surge in enrollment over the summer, the overflow kids may be pushed out.

I know this hasn't helped much. Please understand that this is frustrating for everyone, including school personnel. Principals don't like having upset parents, and they REALLY don't like knowing what their numbers/classrooms are. I was just hired at a school N of 1604. I don't know the grade level because the principal doesn't know either! It's not poor planning-it's incredible growth!!

Most of the overflow kids end up dropping off the waitlist and getting into their home school pretty soon. Be assured that wherever your kids are, they will be getting a wonderful education. And if they do need to move schools, their new teacher will bend over backwards to make the transition as smooth as possible (I've seen it happen!). But welcome to San Antonio!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,864 times
I was told to speak with a Mrs. Halloway at Pupil Personnel about capping issues, and when I spoke to the receptionist she really seemed clueless. See if you can get directly to the source.

Would they overflow to Huebner Oaks maybe? Someone will know - just wait til the actual school offices are open. Get on a waiting list ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio