U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 11,469 times

Advertisements

I'm considering adopting a dog preferably:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Portuguese Podengo
French Bull Dog

or

Any Dogs with short fur, not large, and with similar characteristics as welsh corgi, lab, jack russell and are known to be good apartment dogs.

I've been doing some searching online over the dog pounds, owners, craigslist, petfinder and such for some time but I'm seem to be having trouble finding any dog. I would like to ask you all for any recommendations around the San Antonio area or other pet finder sites.

I'd appreciate the help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:53 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,342,284 times
I used Petfinder, but those breeds are rare. I was looking up a French Bulldog the other day and the closest was in Corpus. A friend of my grandma's had one in Florida and she was too cute; super soft fur too. Glad to see you adopting and good luck

Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Corgis & Critters - Located in Northeast Texas but their list of available dogs goes to Petfinder. If you are set on the breed, a drive will be in order.
FBRN Available Dogs - French bulldogs across the US, I saw some of them in Texas.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM

574 posts, read 1,163,743 times
Check out the French Bulldog Rescue Network, if you are looking to adopt a Frenchie. Some will have health issues, some will not. The adoption fees are going to be much higher than what you would see at the Humane Society, so be prepared if you choose to go that route.

You have to be mindful that French Bulldogs and TX heat do not go hand in hand. Limit your time outdoors, especially midday. Early morning walks & evening walks do best. You can always run them around indoors to help get some energy out. These really need to be indoor dogs, I personally wouldn't suggest you get a Frenchie and hope to house it outside. They can die from heat stroke. It may be tempting to take them swimming in the summer, but don't throw them in the water without a vest and constant monitoring. Frenchies are top heavy so they aren't good swimmers. Some may be able to swim, but I'd err on the side of caution. They have plenty of health issues in general to worry about so get health insurance if you can afford it, that way you can prevent large vet bills in the future. They are known for respiratory issues, allergies, eye problems, elongated soft palate, heart murmurs and bloat (they are greedy eaters).

They are great apartment/small house dogs, and do very well with children. They are small but very sturdy, and generally have a sweet temperament. Easy to groom dogs, just take very good care to wipe around and clean the folds around the face thoroughly.

If you have any questions about French Bulldogs feel free to DM. Good luck with your new dog!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks rd2007, skeet09, Dreadlockd, for the help. Yes, it's difficult to find the breeds I have in mind. Also thanks for the information about the french bulldog dread, I knew most about the their health issues but not about heart murmurs and their eating habits.

I did find baby corgis for adoption, but they are about an hours drive from here.

Also if anyone has recommendations on other types of dogs, that would be great.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,342,284 times
There's no shortage of chihuahuas in need of adoption here. I have two and a chiweenie and they're great dogs. They're like my three shadows..

Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Your welcome Eric...hope you find your next pup soon, wherever that may be and thanks for thinking of adoption!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 AM

759 posts, read 3,390,044 times
No real "breed" recs- we adopted our lab (or maybe lab mix... who knows) when we lived in Ft. Worth and he is the best dog ever!!! Do not rule out mixes (mutts.) Statistically speaking, mutts are generally healthier than pure bred dogs.
My best advice would be to spend some time visiting shelters (Humane Society AND City Pound)... because there are some amazing dogs that come in but often do not make it on petfinder etc etc.
Sadly- when I went to adopt my dog, I actually went in looking for another dog I saw on petfinder... and saw this sweet dog and just "knew." The shelter where I resuced him from kills after the dogs are only there for 3 days.... they are just so overcrowded they cannot wait any longer.

Anyway, you are doing the right thing. #1- THANK YOU for adopting/rescuing and #2 THANK YOU for educating yourself on different breeds.

GL finding your furry friend! I could not imagine my life with out our sweet dog

Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,762 times
Check SNIPSA also. We adopted our border collie mix pup from them.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the advice Lauren and for link chowfun.

What does DM mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or