Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times

Advertisements

im turning 18 in a week and finally decided where i want to move im a CA girl born and raised but i wanna get away from it for awhile. any tips or advice anyone could give. some people have tried to scare me off by telling me about break ins ect..being a mixed chick from the burbs im not used to such things but im not buying it bad things happen everywhere. im looking for a "safe" place to live and get my life started any one know of a good apartment complex ive read some true horror stories about some of these places anyone know first hand which apartment is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,872,365 times
That's a way too broad a question to ask of an entire city. There is a sticky at the top of the city forum, read that first. Also, where are you going to work? What kind of budget do you have? What are the things you want in an apartment or locality?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 AM

584 posts, read 1,191,983 times
There is good and bad everywhere. I am originally from the Maryland/DC area and when I was 19 I moved away to Florida. I didn't have a job or anything ... just loaded up my car and I figured it out when I got there. I rented a small efficiency via a newspaper before moving down and didn't even see it ... 1989 so before internet. I can tell you that it took me moving away to appreciate the area I grew up. having so much history around me and all the musuems to go to and it was all FREE I definitely took for granted. The years I lived in Florida I definitely did grow up because I had to learn to take care of myself and I found out who I was as a person. After a few years I did move back home but then I met my husband who was military which lead me to Colorado and now to San antonio. He is now retired and we have made this our home for now.

When we first moved to San Antonio we lived in apartments in the Stone Oak/Canyon Springs area. Yes there is traffic but the area is nice and it has grown a lot. Traffic can be a hassle during rush hour but with the 281 Super Street and the Blanco Road Expansion it has gotten better. There are a lot of new apartment communities in the area as well.

Good luck on your move. Do you currently have a job? Are you going to school?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,371 times
Have you considered Dallas, Austin, or Houston?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,970,369 times
I would say you'd be more comfortable in Austin. It's a college town with a busy nightlife, SA is more of a family-oriented place with a lot of tourism and military.

As for crime, SA is probably a lot safer than most cities its size. Obviously we have parts that are worse than others, but our crime is more petty theft than anything else. All the drug/gang crime is located in specific areas and affects the individuals who are involved in those activities.

But I would be more concerned with employment first, figure out where you are going to work and then it's easier to get recommendations on safe places to live!

Good luck! M2

Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 AM

204 posts, read 335,965 times
What made you choose San Antonio of all places?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM

74 posts, read 148,632 times
I moved to SA from Cali last year. I spent my whole life (27 young years) in Cali so i know where you're coming from as far as not living outside of cali ever. but dont worry, SA is a good place. I live near the med center and have never even had the smallest of issue here, feel as safe as i did in the burbs in cali.

you'll find the cost of living very reasonable compared to CA. Shoot over some more details about what side of town you'll be working on, budget on rent, etc and i'll try and recommend something.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM

417 posts, read 815,273 times
I grew up in Northern CA. Really like SA. I haven't been here long, but have not felt unsafe once. I do know a couple of people who left stuff in their cars and had their cars broken into, so you do want to be careful of leaving valuables in plain sight in your car.

Just use common sense - stay out of questionable-looking areas alone/late at night, be aware of your surroundings, and live in the "nicest" area you can reasonably afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio