U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 PM

1,722 posts, read 246,146 times

Advertisements

DO NOT MOVE TO SAN ANTONIO!

The ants are the size of roaches, the roaches are the size of rats, rats are the size of cats, cats kill and dogs steal.

[wink wink]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,454,582 times
I think you missed the reverse psychology and the intended humor. After all, I said I couldn't find the key to lock the gate...it's still open.
Maybe if your so intent on finding reasons to NOT move to SA, and think all the sarcashm is serious, you do not belong in SA.
Of all the humerous intented posts about how bad San Antonio has become, it is you....whowants2know...... who failed to see the humor and accept that people were being funny.
I said I couldn't find the key....too bad I couldn;t.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 08-03-2007 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 PM

85 posts, read 270,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know
My original comment/question was to solicit opinions from the residents...if they liked living in S.A, etc. It was not intended to have those who are living in S.A. think they have the right to close the gate and tell others to stay away - that is a very rude attitude.
I went back to your original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
We WERE going to relocate to S.A. because we were told the weather is great, housing affordable, friendly people, lots to do.

Ummmm....we have visited several times during the last few years and have talked with many who are new to the area and many who have lived in S.A. for decades. The majority feel we would be making a huge mistake for the following reasons:

1. Low wages
2. High crime
3. Traffic is a nightmare because the infrastructure has not kept up with the rapid growth.
4. Too much new housing going up too quickly, and getting way too expensive.
5. Way overcrowded.

Anyone have anything good to say about S.A.?
I took your original post as one that was full of negativity, starting from the all caps in the word "WERE" to make sure we knew you had definitely had a bone to pick with SA. Then there was the list of all negatives and no positives and finally you asked for us to basically defend SA to you
Quote:
(Anyone have anything good to say about S.A.?
). Nowhere in this post did I see a request asking SA residents opinions about whether or not they liked living here.

Considering the tone of your original post, I thought the answers you got were freaking hilarious. We are a fun laid back bunch here as a whole. Everyone was really welcoming when we moved here over 7 years ago and I hope wherever you choose to relocate is welcoming to you and fits whatever you personality is. Good luck

Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 PM

409 posts, read 1,106,982 times
Gosh, I'm new to SA but love it! Am I going to be kicked out? I have nothing negative to say, but then again, I look for positives, not negatives! I knew traffic would be much different than we were used to, so we accept it. We knew we would bascially live 'with' our neighbors, i.e. zero lot lines, that too was done by design. BTW, we really like our neighbors- just have big pajama parties! I've seen more ants in my house than I care to--just kill 'em and go on! I have honestly not ever met anyone who is not so friendly it's almost hard to believe! But then again, I look for opportunity to make friends. I think re-locating is what you make it. We always felt like the move here was right for us and that's confirmed daily. Maybe people who move here not by choice are just not happy about leaving friends, family, etc. I am just glad to make new ones! Sometimes it's good to leave the old ones behind!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 PM

71 posts, read 217,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT205 View Post
You like this city...let me guess. You're probably family-oriented and a christian.

Than this city is definitely for you. You're probably a boring person too who never steps outside the box.

....no need to try to defend yourself I got you all figured out
Well you would be wrong! I'm 23, gay, lived all over Europe,Yes I am a Christian.... and single ....so you say your above statement to say what? SA is not perfect by any means it has its problems just like anywhere else but ....but if you have a problem why sit here and complain? instead use your time to search for a new job and move to a city that would more suit your needs....hell or maybe you just need a friend to get you out of the house and take you out! Hell whats your number lets go grab a beer. You shouldn't always assume.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks ADIDAS for reminding me. I seriously don't get people who infer that when people don't bash SA or take offense to bashing SA that they're somehow saying that SA is the all perfect city.

It's like telling someone you don't like panhandlers and them coming back at you with "So you hate all poor people even poor children and want them all banished to a island."

It's quite frustrating.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 3,803,966 times
I visited San Antonio and the thing I didn't like was the traffic congestion. I was told it is because the population increased so rapidly that the city was not able to keep up with the highways and that maybe in 5+ years it would be better.

I liked the river walk and the deer in hollywood park were fascinating!

Someone asked me about the attitudes of Texans, no one was rude; but there are so many new residents who moved to San Antonio over the last several years that they could be from anywhere and not particularly a native of Texas.

I almost forgot, and I found this interesting. I was told by my friends that there is a monopoly on grocery stores and that other than a convenience store with high prices, there is basically just one store owner in the entire area. I am sorry that I forgot the name of the store, was it IBC or something like that?

Katie

Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 AM

You're talking about HEB which is not a monopoly, IBC is a bank which is not a monopoly either. Like I said, HEB isn't a monopoly but there are a lot HEB's in SA but that's because HEB is based in San Antonio.

As for the deer, Hollywood Park is greatly known for them places like Oak Heaven Heights, across 281 from Hollywood Park also have deer.

You can also spot deer in most neighborhoods north of 1604 along 281 they are very common in this area and when even driving 1604 i that vicinity there are "deer" signs posted along the freeway warning you to look out for them.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,067,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDana View Post
Gosh, I'm new to SA but love it! Am I going to be kicked out? I have nothing negative to say, but then again, I look for positives, not negatives! I knew traffic would be much different than we were used to, so we accept it. We knew we would bascially live 'with' our neighbors, i.e. zero lot lines, that too was done by design....
Zero lot lines in Alamo Ranch??? Not in AR! You would have to head south to Heritage Park (near Big Country) area to find zero lot lines. Granted, you might have only 10 feet between houses, but that is not a zero lot line.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM

89 posts, read 260,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
would be making a huge mistake for the following reasons:

1. Low wages
2. High crime
3. Traffic is a nightmare because the infrastructure has not kept up with the rapid growth.
4. Too much new housing going up too quickly, and getting way too expensive.
5. Way overcrowded.
I'm a native from SA. The majority of people who post here were not born here. I can tell you

1. Low wages - yes.
2. high crime - yes, mainly gang related and focused only in some areas of the city. Although it is spreadin, i've seen graffiti all the way out on 1604/gold canyon.
3. Traffic - not that bad, if you're from here you can use tons of side streets and get around most problem traffic areas very quickly. Although it is a lil harder to do now with all the construction.
4. New housin - Lots of new housin, lots of schools gettin capped, all the ones gettin capped are in good areas of town , they are trying to build schools faster. Also, property taxes go up a crap load every year.
5. Over crowded? - far from it. Everything is very spread out. Although at the same time you don't have to go far for much, if that makes sense.

There are lots of nice outdoor areas just outside the city though. But depending where you're coming from you could be use to nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio