Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM

487 posts, read 988,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I come from Northern Virginia, take your house, and drop it in Fairfax, Vienna, or McLean and see how much it costs. The cost of homes is ridiculous up there. My parents bought their house in 1987. If they were buying the same house that they are living today, they would not be able to afford it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Deal.....

Not sure what your point is. Are you trying to imply that it's OK to pay higher % tax because housing is cheaper? That's not a very convincing argument. After all, people in other parts of the country can afford a more expensive house for the same monthly expense (inclusive of taxes and interest) than in Texas. So, you pay the same every month and over time your built equity is lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM

604 posts, read 1,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Don't like Superstreet? Thank Terri Hall
rather, BLAME Terri Hall
that's what i meant
(you know, thank her for making 281 N so botched)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 4,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Here I am! *waves*

281 definitely needs to be a toll road, and so does 1604, eventually. Believe me, Harris County was the same way about the Hardy and the Sam Houston, back in the day. Cries of "no, no!" and now it's like...nobody can live without it. It's been a total success so far in generating revenue for the county. Nobody wants to be forced to use a toll road, but nobody really is in Houston, you can use the access road for free. Same amount of lights as back in the day, well, maybe a few more...

"Toll roads". Say it with me. Look, the County is going to ream everyone for everything eventually, it's the way the good ol' boy bureaucracy works. Might as well get some elbow grease when it happens.

Man, people are such suckers! Sure, it's a quick fix and makes your little commute a bit faster everyday. It's the principal of the matter that people are fighting here. Perry tried to sell our roads to a Spanish company that a bunch of his cronies were tightly tied into. Thank God for the people who fought those corruption filled deals in the first place.

Your quote sums it all up where you say the county is going to ream us eventually we might as well get some quick satisfaction out of it. What a TERRIBLE way to view gov't. They will walk all over us if everyone shared your views.

I don't think anything will change on this issue until Perry is out of office and hopefully the corruption in TXDOT is washed out. As soon as this happens, maybe we will get the road improvements we already payed for.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 4,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
This is a case of just not seeing the bigger picture. I encourage you to read the article below or my own superstreet page (DM me for the link) to see how and why they work. My site includes empirical before-and-after data from the 281 superstreet.

[URL="http://www.gizmag.com/superstreet-concept-shows-promise-in-real-world-test/17553/"]'Superstreet' concept shows promise in real-world test[/URL]

TexHwyMan... it seems to me the road would have been much more successful if they had extended the extra Northbound lane a mile or 2 further. Cutting it off at Evans just maintained the huge pinchpoint where everyone has to get over... which is what creates a lot of the backup. If they had kept the extra lane then another 25% more traffic could have made it through each light at least until Marshall when the amount of vehicles gets reduced sigificantly.

Could just be me, but I feel like the city is in no hurry for 281 to be completely fixed. One of the mayor's biggest planks is growing the downtown area and inside 410. Keeping northside traffic terrible is slowing growth up 281 and likely increasing growth closer inside the city. It's quite clear by this point that the state is in no hurry to really fix 281 unless they get their way with tollroads.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish03 View Post
Man, people are such suckers! Sure, it's a quick fix and makes your little commute a bit faster everyday. It's the principal of the matter that people are fighting here. Perry tried to sell our roads to a Spanish company that a bunch of his cronies were tightly tied into. Thank God for the people who fought those corruption filled deals in the first place.

Your quote sums it all up where you say the county is going to ream us eventually we might as well get some quick satisfaction out of it. What a TERRIBLE way to view gov't. They will walk all over us if everyone shared your views.

I don't think anything will change on this issue until Perry is out of office and hopefully the corruption in TXDOT is washed out. As soon as this happens, maybe we will get the road improvements we already payed for.
They do walk all over us already. This has nothing to do with Perry, this has to do with local government doing whatever the hell it wants to do. Did YOU vote for who's in charge downtown? If so, you're part of the problem.

If done right, the entire thing doesn't have to be a toll road. Look at larger cities.

Jeez.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM

437 posts, read 634,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish03 View Post
TexHwyMan... it seems to me the road would have been much more successful if they had extended the extra Northbound lane a mile or 2 further. Cutting it off at Evans just maintained the huge pinchpoint where everyone has to get over... which is what creates a lot of the backup. If they had kept the extra lane then another 25% more traffic could have made it through each light at least until Marshall when the amount of vehicles gets reduced sigificantly.
I think TexHwyMan has explained this already, but a full EIS would have been necessary to do what you just said. Without one, you are only permitted to do so much.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM

349 posts, read 419,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
They do walk all over us already. This has nothing to do with Perry, this has to do with local government doing whatever the hell it wants to do. Did YOU vote for who's in charge downtown? If so, you're part of the problem.

If done right, the entire thing doesn't have to be a toll road. Look at larger cities.

Jeez.
The State of Texas controls funding that comes toward San Antonio in terms of roads.

San Antonio gets one of the smallest pieces of the pie out there.

How exactly is that local government's fault?

They are looking for solutions to problems caused in many ways by lack of state funding for roadways sent toward the San Antonio region.

But go ahead and blame San Antonio government for all the ills that strikes this city.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
The State of Texas controls funding that comes toward San Antonio in terms of roads.

San Antonio gets one of the smallest pieces of the pie out there.

How exactly is that local government's fault?

They are looking for solutions to problems caused in many ways by lack of state funding for roadways sent toward the San Antonio region.

But go ahead and blame San Antonio government for all the ills that strikes this city.
Uh, dude. Really? First of all, where am I blaming San Antonio government "for all the ills that strike this city"? LOL! Whatever. I'm talking about toll roads here, so please keep focused.

Secondly, the City of SA has nothing to do with it? Oh, okay. Sure. This is all just a state-level issue.

To further my point:

6) MASSIVE BILLION DOLLAR TOLL ROAD PLAN UNVEILED. Much like Streetcars, toll roads in Bexar County have long pitted the people vs. the powerful, but with the people's money being used to build the unpopular projects. The Regional Mobility Authority, which is now an arm of Bexar County government because the independent agency was unable to build toll projects, unveiled an ambitious plan to build toll lanes on Loop 1604 (at least the politically expedient parts, and excluding the area between Bandera and 151), as well as along I-10 from La Cantera to Ralph Fair, and Highway 281 from Stone Oak from the Comal County line. But not even every member of the RMA board is on board with the proposal, and more toll road battles will certainly be again one of the top stories of the year for 2014. Read more: THE TOP TEN LOCAL NEWS STORIES OF 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio