Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We can't even get folks to use Designated Drivers.....an' you want 'em to be "responsible pet owners"?!???
knew there were lots of reasons i friendd you :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,063 times
Education!!
Actually, quite simply put, people just don't care.
Not to be stereotypical, but drive down into the southside and westside of towns, look at the number of dogs roaming around!
Jeez, if there is a wandering dog in the Northside, there are about 2 to 3 people trying to pick it up to find the owner!!
Education!! The younger generation need to learn to break the cycle and not treat animals as their parents do!!
This is an ongoing problem in S.A. and will never change

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Education!!
Actually, quite simply put, people just don't care.
Not to be stereotypical, but drive down into the southside and westside of towns, look at the number of dogs roaming around!
Jeez, if there is a wandering dog in the Northside, there are about 2 to 3 people trying to pick it up to find the owner!!
Education!! The younger generation need to learn to break the cycle and not treat animals as their parents do!!
the 'parents' of that generation you are referencing are just as bad as the crotchfruits they 'raised'

Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Students walk blocks for 'no-kill' initiative - San Antonio Express-News
We need more students getting involved in programs like this.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Students walk blocks for 'no-kill' initiative - San Antonio Express-News
We need more students getting involved in programs like this.
no, we dont. we have more important things to do than educate the kids on something their parents should have already done. maybe its the parents that need educating?

no kill shelter should be the last thing on the city agenda... what with the budget shortfalls in the schools.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
The reason they don't pick up any dogs is because they're already inundated with people dropping off animals. The problem is too many unwanted animals.
IMO that's an oversimplification that doesn't have an easy solution.

The media has said (delicately) that there is a "cultural resistance" on the south and west sides of town to spaying and neutering. Since those also happen to be the sides of town with the most strays, that perception should be the top priority for combat.

Also, I've never seen this mentioned in the local media, but I've read that nationally there is a stray pet problem specific to US cities with military bases. Active duty folks leave pets to fend for themselves when they relocate or deploy. Is that something the Federal government could be helping to stop?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
no, we dont. we have more important things to do than educate the kids on something their parents should have already done. maybe its the parents that need educating?

no kill shelter should be the last thing on the city agenda... what with the budget shortfalls in the schools.
The school district budgets are separate from the city and county budgets that fund ACS. Apples and oranges... or in some cases, oil and water, since the districts don't always cooperate well with government.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post

Parent education is also needed but the students can educate their parents as well. My parents unfortunately had some of the same mindsets about dogs until I started educating them about this very issue. They see dogs in a very different light now.
It takes very little money to have students walk the blocks and talk to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The media has said (delicately) that there is a "cultural resistance" on the south and west sides of town to spaying and neutering.
I agree! I've been to the Spay and Neuter Mobile trucks that are placed throughout the city and the trucks are full! Some people were turned away when my mom took my dog one morning. Turning away one person might not try to attempt to bring their dog or cat in at another time. We need more trucks, staff, days (especially Saturdays) to be able to do intake. I do think the cultural resistance is starting to decrease especially with the students doing the walk blocking and other efforts.

Quote:
Also, I've never seen this mentioned in the local media, but I've read that nationally there is a stray pet problem specific to US cities with military bases. Active duty folks leave pets behind when they relocate or deploy.
If you find that research, let me know. I'd like to read it.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
If you find that research, let me know. I'd like to read it.
Here's an article that mentions it happening at Camp Lejeune: Don

Quote:
According to animal control officials, one of the area’s reoccurring problems is the abandonment of pets due to military orders, often prompting a move out of the area or deployment.

“People acquire companion animals without considering the lifetime
commitment that caring for them requires,” says one American animal rights
group.
I don't remember where I read about it happening nationally. In searching for this article, I ran across a couple of articles that mentioned it was happening in Okinawa and one other international duty station.

Maybe no one in the media has ever asked the animal control folks whether it's a problem here? Or are we just too afraid of embarassing the area's largest employer?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The school district budgets are separate from the city and county budgets that fund ACS. Apples and oranges... or in some cases, oil and water, since the districts don't always cooperate well with government.

good to know. however, the ACS needs to stop interrupting classes with material not relevant to the childrens education and wasting tax payer money.

this needs to be addressed at the parental level, not a child level. parents should be educating their kids on the strong points of spaying and neutering your pets, not the school system.

/doesnt have kids, but that doesnt mean i wasnt raised the proper way... by my parents and not the school.
//school was there for an education, not to babysit and spoon feed me crap i dont need or should get from other sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio