U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM

5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Poisoning them is awful. I just use my .22lr rifle to shoot the strays. Prevents anything else from being harmed other than the cat.
Really?

And you said I have the worse post ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM

251 posts, read 454,778 times
some People are evil...

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,919 times
Actually, a bullet to the head is a lot more merciful than poisoning. My mother in law has had two cats die from someone in the neighborhood poisoning them. It's a slow, foaming at the mouth, laying on their side unable to move, shaking seizure like, two or three day death. The cats weren't even hers, but she fed them, fixed them from having more cats, etc. We called the police and a report was made. Nothing will ever come of it, but at least it's on record.

Last edited by RGJ; 05-10-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,086,067 times
What she is doing is very dangerous to both animals and young children. If I were you I would seek advice from a lawyer.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 109,491 times
meh>>>>

Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,193,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalgirl View Post
My dog was recently poisoned because a neighbor is lacing cans of cat food with rat poison and putting them in her front flowerbeds. She said she is trying to kill stray cats that are damaging her flowerbed. Unfortunately, our dog accidently escaped from our house and consumed a whole can of the cat food.

I'm concerned for the safety of my dog and others in the neighborhood. We are hearing mixed reports from the city and Animal Control about the legality of the situation. Animal Control says they can't do anything because it is on her personal property. City law states: "No person shall expose any known poisonous substance, whether mixed with food or not, so that the same may be attractive to any warm-blooded animal or human; except that it shall not be unlawful for a person to expose, on his own property or with permission of the property owner, commercially available rat poison or other pesticides appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions."

However, the rat poison is not being "appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions" because she is clearly trying to attract other animals. Do we have any legal grounds here? What should our next step be?

Thanks for your suggestions!
as much as im really wanting to c*ckpunch your neighbor right now, i dont believe s/he is breaking the law. specifically the bolded section seems to imply that she can place poisons on her property as she sees fit.

just because shes using cat food doesnt matter. shes not intentionally trying to attract a specific species or type of animal. wet cat food will attract ANYTHING outdoors that is hungry.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 PM

152 posts, read 153,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalgirl View Post
My dog was recently poisoned because a neighbor is lacing cans of cat food with rat poison and putting them in her front flowerbeds. She said she is trying to kill stray cats that are damaging her flowerbed. Unfortunately, our dog accidently escaped from our house and consumed a whole can of the cat food.
How does a dog accidently escape the house????

Sounds like an irresponsible dog owner to me. If your dog was properly secured, there's a possibility it would've never consumed any of the cat food.
Learn the lesson that is trying to be taught and be happy it wasn't shot with merc11ty's .22lr riffle

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
Some dogs are notorious for bolting out the door or digging under the fence. Also leashes have been known to tear, owners get knocked down from a dog bolting towards something are all possibilities. A guest left the gate open and didn't know the dog escaped. I consider myself to be a very good and responsible dog owner but there's always the possibility of something occurring. All we can do is try to minimize the risk and take proper precautions.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

251 posts, read 454,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post

Sounds like an irresponsible dog owner to me. If your dog was properly secured, there's a possibility it would've never consumed any of the cat food.
Learn the lesson that is trying to be taught and be happy it wasn't shot with merc11ty's .22lr riffle
Yeah, we're talking about shooting a living thing in the head! Let's add a cheery emoticon or two!?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,769 posts, read 54,408,375 times
A person does have the right to put out rat poison on their own property, and accidental or not, no one else's dog or cat has any right to be on his property. I personally prefer other methods such as the moth balls for cats, though lately since the coyotes have been more plentiful in the area there have not been any stray cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio