Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM

522 posts, read 1,127,638 times

Advertisements

poisoning is pretty much the worst way to get rid of anything, regardless of what it is and why. on top of all the problems already mentioned, good luck getting rid of the dead animal smell when whatever it is they poison decides to crawl into or under their house and dies. also, adding food to the area will ATTRACT more animals, even if you're going to poison them. also, i don't know how much right someone would have if it resulted in a public health and safety hazard.

i am not surprised that some animals have accidentally gotten out, even under the best ownership. **** happens (it's the repeat offenders and people who don't give a damn in the first place that make the stray and loose animal problem so unbearable.) this is why spaying/neutering, chipping, and getting them vaccinated is so important. even if they are indoor animals and you think they'll never ever get out, they could.

Last edited by GlorifiedMalcontent; 05-11-2011 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,713 times
some people have no conscience, with a strong dose of arrogance to boot. Putzes! THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ABUSE OF ANY KIND. Animals were not created for man to exploit, brutalize and kill, just becasue they are viewed as an irritant or inconvienence. They serve a valueable purpose just as 'good people' do. Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
Some would argue that they have every right to protect their property from destruction from unwelcome visitors.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,669,506 times
yes, but there are more humane ways of handling the situation. You can put orange peels down, buy cat repellent from the pet store. Killing neighbors' pets as a side effect of keeping your plants safe is awful. Makes it pretty uncomfortable as neighbors, also.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 174,249 times
The original post is over a year old. What made you dig it out of the archieves?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Why was your dog doing in her front flowerbeds? He has no business to be there...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
I just hope that she accidentally poisons herself and that way she can a taste of what the cat will go through. What she is doing is moronic and seems just cruel. Protecting your flower bed is one thing but why would you purposely bait the cats in? If you put out cat food then cats are going to show up.

Someone should salt the women's flower bed and be done with it already.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,087,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalgirl View Post
My dog was recently poisoned because a neighbor is lacing cans of cat food with rat poison and putting them in her front flowerbeds. She said she is trying to kill stray cats that are damaging her flowerbed. Unfortunately, our dog accidently escaped from our house and consumed a whole can of the cat food.

I'm concerned for the safety of my dog and others in the neighborhood. We are hearing mixed reports from the city and Animal Control about the legality of the situation. Animal Control says they can't do anything because it is on her personal property. City law states: "No person shall expose any known poisonous substance, whether mixed with food or not, so that the same may be attractive to any warm-blooded animal or human; except that it shall not be unlawful for a person to expose, on his own property or with permission of the property owner, commercially available rat poison or other pesticides appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions."

However, the rat poison is not being "appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions" because she is clearly trying to attract other animals. Do we have any legal grounds here? What should our next step be?

Thanks for your suggestions!
I see your concern. What do your leash laws say. If you don't have dogs running lose, it shouldn't be a problem. She could put them under her porch or somewhere less accessible to dogs...But I'd be po'd if there were dogs running lose too.
We post to older threads because they are often still applicable to someone else on here. No biggie.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I just hope that she accidentally poisons herself and that way she can a taste of what the cat will go through. What she is doing is moronic and seems just cruel. Protecting your flower bed is one thing but why would you purposely bait the cats in? If you put out cat food then cats are going to show up.

Someone should salt the women's flower bed and be done with it already.
I don't see how killing flowers would make this any better.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalgirl View Post
My dog was recently poisoned because a neighbor is lacing cans of cat food with rat poison and putting them in her front flowerbeds. She said she is trying to kill stray cats that are damaging her flowerbed. Unfortunately, our dog accidently escaped from our house and consumed a whole can of the cat food.

I'm concerned for the safety of my dog and others in the neighborhood. We are hearing mixed reports from the city and Animal Control about the legality of the situation. Animal Control says they can't do anything because it is on her personal property. City law states: "No person shall expose any known poisonous substance, whether mixed with food or not, so that the same may be attractive to any warm-blooded animal or human; except that it shall not be unlawful for a person to expose, on his own property or with permission of the property owner, commercially available rat poison or other pesticides appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions."

However, the rat poison is not being "appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions" because she is clearly trying to attract other animals. Do we have any legal grounds here? What should our next step be?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reading comprehension in America is WAY down but I bold the statement that explains it was an accident that the dog got out of the yard in the first place. I'm not sure why all this leash nonsense comes into play. Do you leash your dog in the backyard incase he/she get's out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio