U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
yes, but there are more humane ways of handling the situation. You can put orange peels down, buy cat repellent from the pet store. Killing neighbors' pets as a side effect of keeping your plants safe is awful. Makes it pretty uncomfortable as neighbors, also.
I'd argue that you're not really taking care of it if you're leaving it outside to wander the neighborhood.

As far as the dog escaping, sure that happens occasionally and it's really unfortunate your dog got sick and the one that died.
However, if you go through the effort of training your dog where his space ends and where he's allowed to wander. That he's not allowed to tug on the leash. Some of these issues are lessened.

I can leave my gate wide open with the dogs in the backyard and they'll stand just inside the gate and watch me. On the rare occasion they cross that point it's barely past it and I tell them to get back in the yard and they go. It's not even that hard to train them that way either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,864,067 times
my neighbor put up big rat traps that snap. several cats got caught over the years. It just literally breaks their legs, or neck. then they scream all night. it is sad, i dont have cats though. some people are just weird, and dont care for the safety of others. imagine a barefoot kid going in the flowerbed to get a ball and the trap snaps those toes. ouch. maybe you should contact the pet cops.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 12,430,320 times
Are stray cats that much of a problem in SA? I have seen several threads on this forum off an on about this problem.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,838,359 times
The threads are a year a part and the poster of the new one could have rekindled this one but choose to start a new one!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,798,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalgirl View Post
My dog was recently poisoned because a neighbor is lacing cans of cat food with rat poison and putting them in her front flowerbeds. She said she is trying to kill stray cats that are damaging her flowerbed. Unfortunately, our dog accidently escaped from our house and consumed a whole can of the cat food.

I'm concerned for the safety of my dog and others in the neighborhood. We are hearing mixed reports from the city and Animal Control about the legality of the situation. Animal Control says they can't do anything because it is on her personal property. City law states: "No person shall expose any known poisonous substance, whether mixed with food or not, so that the same may be attractive to any warm-blooded animal or human; except that it shall not be unlawful for a person to expose, on his own property or with permission of the property owner, commercially available rat poison or other pesticides appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions."

However, the rat poison is not being "appropriately placed in accordance with the labeling directions" because she is clearly trying to attract other animals. Do we have any legal grounds here? What should our next step be?

Thanks for your suggestions!
I would report her..thats a terrible thing to do

Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,468,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Some would argue that they have every right to protect their property from destruction from unwelcome visitors.
This! Old thread but I'm surprised pet owners feel the need to monitor what someone does in their house.

Keep your pets to yourself.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,317,749 times
^but why would someone cause death and pain to another innocent, living thing to protect their beloved plants? NO. It is WRONG. PERIOD.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM

6,256 posts, read 8,982,091 times
Why would a loving pet owner allow their pet to wander the neighborhood unattended - THAT is wrong, PERIOD.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM

75 posts, read 173,457 times
I am so sorry about your dog. when I was growing up as a kid, our dog was poisoned. We love that dog. Sorry about your lost

Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM

425 posts, read 513,044 times
Bunch of scum posts earlier in this thread. Thankfully humans are evolving from living such a primitive lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio