U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,317,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why would a loving pet owner allow their pet to wander the neighborhood unattended - THAT is wrong, PERIOD.
well, it happens. If you know an animal is getting into your plants (omg!), It is still WRONG to kill something that doesn't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,323,054 times
Something like this happened to a friend of mine, and she had to pay 5,000 for blood transfusions to save her 5 month old puppy. I would report her...JMO

Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 4,701,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Are stray cats that much of a problem in SA? I have seen several threads on this forum off an on about this problem.
Yes, trust me, it is. Stray cats and dogs are all over this city, less so on the north side. Many people abandon them, and others simply don't want to take ANY responsibility for their pets, until something bad happens to them. As you have probably guessed I am not an animal person, which is why I have no pets. This is why I get so disgusted when I hear so many stories on the news about pet owners abusing their animals. Don't want a pet? Can't handle the responsibility? Solution: Don't get one.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,354,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Yes, trust me, it is. Stray cats and dogs are all over this city, less so on the north side. Many people abandon them, and others simply don't want to take ANY responsibility for their pets, until something bad happens to them. As you have probably guessed I am not an animal person, which is why I have no pets. This is why I get so disgusted when I hear so many stories on the news about pet owners abusing their animals. Don't want a pet? Can't handle the responsibility? Solution: Don't get one.

It's a HUGE problem. Our neighborhood is a dumping ground. I think people know we have programs to trap/spay/neuter./foster animals, so we get tons. Can always tell the dumped dogs - mostly healthy (at first), very friendly. They're easy to distinguish from the long-time strays. We're also near the river, which is a popular dumping ground

Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM

702 posts, read 608,088 times
Here's an idea, don't have your animals on someone else's property and they wouldn't need the poison in the first place. Of course it was an accident, never happened before, dog roaming the neighborhood. Just like all the other dogs and cats are accidents.

At some point you have to take responsibility for your own animals. It isn't like she was throwing poison over into other people's back yards.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,468,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Something like this happened to a friend of mine, and she had to pay 5,000 for blood transfusions to save her 5 month old puppy. I would report her...JMO
If your friend is too pissed off about paying 5grand for blood transfusions, a fence and a kennel cost less. . Hint hint! What's there to report? You must be kidding if you expect your neighbour 's houses to be pet safe just because YOU own pets.

This is a war you will NOT win. If its not rat poison its gonna be anti freeze, etc. Keeping your pet in your home is easier.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,468,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
well, it happens. If you know an animal is getting into your plants (omg!), It is still WRONG to kill something that doesn't know any better.
I have a friend who rents a condo. She would love to own pets but her landlord prohibits it. The idea of dealing with other people's pet poo became too much to deal with considering she could not even have a dog in her property. So she put rat poison & has a cleaner property now.

Out of interest how do you propose she should have solved this problem?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,323,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
If your friend is too pissed off about paying 5grand for blood transfusions, a fence and a kennel cost less. . Hint hint! What's there to report? You must be kidding if you expect your neighbour 's houses to be pet safe just because YOU own pets.

This is a war you will NOT win. If its not rat poison its gonna be anti freeze, etc. Keeping your pet in your home is easier.
Her puppy WAS in HER OWN YARD, with a FENCE. Paying 5,000 to keep the puppy alive is the least of it. She had just moved in to this house, whoever had owned the house, laid the poison. She was the tenant. I DO NOT EXPECT anyone to pay for my pets, I take care of them....but if this woman is deliberately poisoning other animals, she needs to be reported. That is cruelty IMO.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
^but why would someone cause death and pain to another innocent, living thing to protect their beloved plants? NO. It is WRONG. PERIOD.
Tell ya what, come over to our house after it rains and enjoy the horrid stench of cat urine and you'll quickly change your mind about those "innocent, living things"...

I don't let my dogs **** and crap in their yards, if I did they'd raise a huge ruckus; so they can return the favor and keep their cats out of mine. I should not have to put up with other peoples' pets and their "presents" on my property!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,317,961 times
I'm a huge animal lover. We have 5 animals, all saved from the streets. We pick up huge amounts of dog poop in our backyard each week from a 100 lb. Rottweiler, 80 lb. brown Lab, and an elderly chihuahua who sometimes misses his doggie pads and urinates on our floors. But, guess what??? we deal. I clean it everyday, and I don't care. I also donate a percentage of my paycheck to ASPCA and the Humane Society, because of people who would rather let animals suffer and roam the streets. We also save animals and take care of them until there is an opening at the Humane Society and/or Animal Defense League.

If I see you poison animals, you will be reported. It is wrong, there are other ways to deal with it. It is cruel, and unnecessary. I'd rather see you call the pound to pick up the animal, or your HOA to report your stupid neighbor who allows the animal to roam the streets and dig in your flowers, than let it die a painful death.

Oh, and try putting out orange and lemon peels, or moth balls in your plants to keep the cats away. It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio