U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

680 posts, read 1,547,991 times

Advertisements

Paul's post made me think of another technique... Put on your resume or cover letter "I will be in San Antonio for interviews the week of XXXXX and was hoping I could set something up with you" -- maybe this will generate some interest and calls. And if it doesn't, you get a week with significant other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM

500 posts, read 952,220 times
LOL I'd love a week with the significant other, but I don't get that many vacation days from my current job, and a leave of absence is not an option while I'm looking, either. We're a small office, and barring something that requires FMLA/hospitalization/etc., I work or I don't have a job. It just sucks, because if I *could* just take any $8/hr job, I would, but I have an $800 mortgage here to be responsible for on top of whatever living expenses I would have there. I just can't go into it blindly thinking that a temp job would float me through for just a short time, because I could end up losing my house if it ended up being NOT just a short time. And as much as I want to be out there, losing my house isn't worth it at this point in time, so I just have to keep plugging along for a while and keep trying and hoping things change.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

392 posts, read 624,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
LOL I'd love a week with the significant other, but I don't get that many vacation days from my current job, and a leave of absence is not an option while I'm looking, either. We're a small office, and barring something that requires FMLA/hospitalization/etc., I work or I don't have a job. It just sucks, because if I *could* just take any $8/hr job, I would, but I have an $800 mortgage here to be responsible for on top of whatever living expenses I would have there. I just can't go into it blindly thinking that a temp job would float me through for just a short time, because I could end up losing my house if it ended up being NOT just a short time. And as much as I want to be out there, losing my house isn't worth it at this point in time, so I just have to keep plugging along for a while and keep trying and hoping things change.
Whatever happens, good luck to you! It took me a year and a half or so to get out of Louisiana and into Texas.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
My best friend found a job here from 1000 miles away. She used my address and phone number. I changed my VM greeting to something generic and just let all unfamiliar numbers go to VM. Then I'd email or call her with information. It still took about three months to find a position, but it worked. (She's a teacher.)

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM

[quote=ged_782;19102514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
My best friend found a job here from 1000 miles away. She used my address and phone number. I changed my VM greeting to something generic and just let all unfamiliar numbers go to VM. Then I'd email or call her with information. It still took about three months to find a position, but it worked. (She's a teacher.)

Best of luck to you!
But how do you explain in the interview that you gave a Texas address, but are still currently employed in another state? To me, that would look bad.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,531,446 times
Good luck. I was in a similar position. I wanted a job in sports really bad, and I put an address in Los Angeles when I applied for an opening with the Dodgers. Luckily my job was a traveling job so when I introduced myself, I would tell them I have a job has me traveling the U.S.

I updated all of my resumes and info to a friends LA addy. It worked, and I'm now living out here. It's tough, but possible. If you get some interviews, I'd recommend just telling them you're employed up there, but are visiting family/friends that week you're interviewing; Or that you are now in the area about to move. Make sure the jobs you go for are worth it to come down, otherwise that's going to be a lot of expenses :/

Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 AM

418 posts, read 687,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
but I have an $800 mortgage here to be responsible for on top of whatever living expenses I would have there
That mortgage and house will complicate your relocation.

If you have a property manager or someone you trust lined up to manage the place that will relieve some burden but that still leaves the financial end.

When I had a similar situation the property manager scooped a monthly fee right off the top and took care of everything including finding tenants.

Renting it would help with the burden but you still may end up with a smaller monthly sum to pay.

Cinnamon had a good suggestion earlier. Since your BF is local enlist his assistance with this quest... I'm sure he is sufficiently motivated.

The first thing is to take the time to polish up your resume and make it stand out such that it captures the attention of a potential employer. For on your achievements and results rather than the mere facts.

Once the resume is done put together a portfolio that you can use during the interview process. This would include the following:

-your personal mission statement
-your work philosophy
-your goals
-copy of your resume
-education... copies of diplomas, certificates, etc
-awards received or testimonials from employers regarding your work
-references... list of people to contact and perhaps letters of reference
-section for each previous employer and items relevant to that
-work samples section

It will take time to put together a resume and portfolio... don't beat yourself up if it takes more than a few days. Also consider it a work in progress... particularly the resume and cover letter which you may want to tailor specifically for each opportunity you apply for.

Be open in your cover letter about your intentions with respect to moving and what your expectations are with respect to your new employer.

Some employers may be interested enough to offer up the possibility of remote first interview... either via phone or video conferencing... and then if that goes well a face-to-face interview. Some employers may not even think of the possibility of a remote interview so you might consider mentioning you are available for remote interviews in your cover letter.

Sounds like you are willing to uproot your life significantly. I hope he appreciates what you are willing to do at this stage considering the relationship is not where you would consider living together.

Not to be negative about the future possibilities, but I hope you would be ok if after moving here things did not pan out with the relationship.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM

I do have a property management company on the back burner, but I have a roommate that I can't displace for a while.

It's not that I don't feel ready to live with him, but he has custody of his 2 kids, and I think that their well-being trumps our desires, so I don't want to move in unless we're well on our way to planning a wedding. We talk about it, but nothing has been made official yet, and I want to set a good example for the kids.

If I have a decent job, I would have no problem staying if something were to happen and we broke up. That's why I want to make sure to have a decent job and not just take anything offered to me just to get me out there. I'd want to make sure that I had a solid ground underneath me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or