U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM

500 posts, read 951,605 times

Advertisements

I've been sending out resumes for months from Ohio, and can pretty much fly out for an interview ANY time, but I'm not getting any bites. I just want to be out there with my boyfriend already, but I can't quit this job here until I have one to go to there. Being in a non-specialized field sucks. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
what kind of jobs are you applying for?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM

95 posts, read 181,276 times
What are you looking for?

What pay requirements do you need?

Answer to Question = Not a chance

Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm an assistant property manager for an apartment community. As far as the pay, it depends on where it is. The closer I can get to Kerrville, the less I can take. I'm not really sure what the cost of living is out there, I just have to be able to pay for an apartment and living expenses there plus the $400 per month I'm going to have to keep kicking in on my mortgage here until either my roommate finds someone else to room with her or I can sell the house.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 AM

392 posts, read 624,494 times
Here's how I got my job in San Antonio that I started about 2.5 weeks ago, while I was living in Baton Rouge... Put your current address in Ohio on your resume, but put something like (relocating to San Antonio, TX) next to it. I started doing that for jobs in Texas, and BAM, I started getting interviews waaaaay more easily. When they ask, just have a reason you're relocating or something, just don't outright lie necessarily. I told them that my fiancee and I just planned to move there, and that she was transferring schools. So, here I am in the Alamo City. Good luck to ya, buddy!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM

3,136 posts, read 5,157,678 times
I would agree with ktulu7, that indicating you will be relocationg here (instead of them thinking you are just sending out resumes scatter-gun style), might help. But unless you have a specialized skill that would require a local employer to conduct a nationwide search, you have an uphill battle on your hands. In my past job searches I've encountered some listings that state "local candidates only".

Without a specialized skill (and even with), It can be tough to be seriously considerd by many employers without an internal referral or recommendation. Then the employer wonders about other things: Why are you relocating here? If it's to be near a boyfriend, what if the relationship dissolves? Will you move back? Do you expect your prospective employer to pay relocation expenses? Have you spent any amout of time here before? Are you acclimated to the climate, culture, etc.?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM

6,134 posts, read 8,594,492 times
I've heard differing opinions on this and consider starting a thread in the work and employment area to get some more advice. Try not putting your address on the resume if you an option (e-mailing) and just put phone numbers. With people moving around so much and having cell phones the idea of having a non-830 area code isn't foreign. If you have to put an address put your boyfriend's and explain the situation in your cover letter.

With that being said, you mention Kerrville, I hate to generalize (and there is a lengthy thread on the area), it is a small town and may be hard to crack into.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM

In my cover letter, I always say, "I will be relocating to the area upon finding suitable employment", but don't give any details because I don't want to be discounted for the very reason you state, that what if scenario. I would stay if the relationship doesn't work out, but they wouldn't know/trust that. I'm much more a Texan at heart than an Ohioan! I've never felt so at home anywhere before. and I certainly wouldn't expect relocation expense help, not for the type of level I'm on and the work I do.

I'd be concerned about the whole address thing because by looking at my "2008 to Present" for my last (current) employer, they'd know I don't live there anyway and wonder what I was trying to pull.

I plan on living by myself where ever I end up (hopefully on site with an employee discount so I can save money on gas), but the closer I am to Kerrville, the less miles I have to drive to see him on weekends, so I can afford to get paid a little less if I don't have to spend so much on gas. Of course, the goal is to work my way over to Kerrville or surrounding areas if the opportunity presents itself and our relationship goes toward living together, but I don't want to be stuck in such a small place if it doesn't, YKWIM?

It just sucks because a friend of mine is a Property Manager one step up from me, and she's been sending out resumes for her relocation due to her husband's job transfer for a few weeks, and has already gotten called for 2 interviews long distance. Although, her relocation will be about 200 miles instead of my 1300, but she still can't drive 3.5 hours everyday, so it's still a long distance search!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM

680 posts, read 1,547,532 times
You may have to just move out here and take any employment you can get to pay the bills while you look for a job in your field. I have a friend who moved to SA (teacher) and she found a temp job immediately and then a full-time career-type job about 3 weeks later. Not surprisingly, she did have to switch fields but is very happily working in HR.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 AM

418 posts, read 687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I've been sending out resumes for months from Ohio, and can pretty much fly out for an interview ANY time, but I'm not getting any bites. I just want to be out there with my boyfriend already, but I can't quit this job here until I have one to go to there. Being in a non-specialized field sucks. :-(
It is possible... I have done exactly that twice in the past where the company interested paid for interview expenses and my moving expenses to move from one end of the country to the other.

Depending on your career... you may need to actually be here to apply for positions and be considered seriously... and for that you might need to consider a temporary
leave of absence from your position or use vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or