U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
A friend wouldn't steal from you....
True, but a "friend on drugs" would. And I'm not condoning the stealing of someone's property. It just seems to me that a better course of action would have been to call the person out on it and then go from there. Maybe offer some help. That is if they knew who it was prior to calling the police. They may not have known who actually took the drugs until the police were called out to look at the video.

And one might wonder why such a powerful drug was easily found by a guest. Again, not condoning the stealing, just a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM

6,273 posts, read 9,028,497 times
Oh, I realized you weren't condoning the theft. But the thing is, this person had someone as a guest in their home that had to locate the drugs (where they were doesn't matter), then hide them and take them. That's nothing more than a common thief - and in my book, you handle a sneak thief through the law. I've a feeling that there's more to this - maybe this isn't the first time she's done this to them or one of their other friends.

If you come into my home as a trusted guest, there's cash, jewelry and firearms in any of several locations. My friends know this, and I trust them. They ALSO know me - and that to betray my trust would result in their prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. Sorry - I'm an "old school" type of guy - my friends can have anything I own, as long as I am willing to give it. The moment they take something from me without permission, they have proven themselves unworthy of my friendship, and therefore unworthy of my concern for the consequences of their actions.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,039 times
well said

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 5,186,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
True, but a "friend on drugs" would. And I'm not condoning the stealing of someone's property. It just seems to me that a better course of action would have been to call the person out on it and then go from there. Maybe offer some help. That is if they knew who it was prior to calling the police. They may not have known who actually took the drugs until the police were called out to look at the video.

And one might wonder why such a powerful drug was easily found by a guest. Again, not condoning the stealing, just a question.
If I understand this correctly, Gallagher is accused of taking the drugs from her friend's home without permission, then taking the bottle to the friend's pharmacy for a refill. Then the pharmacy calls the victim to tell her the refill is ready, but the woman didn't request a refill. Reviewing surveillance video showed it was Gallagher who presented the prescription to the pharmacist, representing herself as her friend.

It was then they were able to put 2+2 together. Maybe the friend can decide she does not want to press charges for theft of the prescription, but what about the refill? Isn't that Prescription Fraud? Is that a crime against the State?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM

IIRC, prescription fraud is a federal offense - so yeah, the friend may not have any options on this.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,155,956 times
For the state it falls under Texas Health & Safety Code - 481.129. Offense: Fraud...

Quote:
481.129. OFFENSE: FRAUD. (a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly: (5) possesses, obtains, or attempts to possess or obtain a controlled substance or an increased quantity of a controlled substance: (A) by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception, or subterfuge; (B) through use of a fraudulent prescription form;
Cheers! M2

Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Or.....Prescription Drug Fraud: Types, Detecting Fraud, and Penalties | Suite101.com

Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,155,956 times
Although a little dated, there is a lot of good info here: Problem-Oriented Guides for Police - Prescription Fraud

Quote:
Prescription fraud is a significant and growing problem. Almost half the law enforcement agencies responding to a 2000 National Drug Threat Survey listed pharmaceutical abuse as a problem in their jurisdiction, and a similar share reported observing dramatic increases in prescription fraud and pharmaceutical drug abuse
Quote:
The biggest factor driving prescription fraud is the increasing abuse of and addiction to prescription drugs. Prescription drug abuse is significant and rising rapidly. In 2000, an estimated 2 million Americans over the age of 12 used prescription pain relievers for the first time, up from 400,000 in the mid-1980s. In 2001, an estimated 11.1 million people used prescription drugs non-medically, and more than 6 million abused pain relievers.
And specific to this thread...

Quote:
Hydrocodone, the third most prescribed drug in 2000, is among the most abused of prescription drugs, according to the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information. In certain regions, Vicodin, a form of hydrocodone, is becoming a popular target for prescription fraud, usually among women who become addicted after originally being prescribed the drug for pain relief.
And I noticed in one of the news segments they showed the Affidavit for Arrest Warrant was issued by Bexar County.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 8,469 times
Maybe she took the meds for someone else. In any case what she did is illegal. I see Karen @ church regularly. I don't know her personally. Shes in the news because shes a public figure of sorts. This kind of thing happens everyday to unknown people. We all have made mistakes and have regrets. Lets just hope if shes the one addicted that she gets the help she needs.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 8,469 times
Well maybe you don't understand addiction. People that are drug addicts will beg, borrow, and steal from their own mother to get what they need. They are desperate. You would think if you are a true friend to the person you would want to help them instead of condemning them. I'm sure you have made mistakes you regret in life as we all have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio