U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM

27 posts, read 22,207 times

Advertisements

Im not a fan of critters and I would like to know of the best "keep the bugs away" pest control services thats anyone is using?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 PM

181 posts, read 385,632 times
We've had Preventive Pest Control since we purchased our home and never seen anything more than a few ants. We did see one scorpion in the garage. They've since merged with Terminix, we need to do a little research on Terminix but have had one visit since the merge and they seemed pleasant/knowledgeable.

We typically have the exterior of the home sprayed minus gardens/play areas and lawn treated but only have the interior sprayed/treated every other year or so (I know, they probably love us as customers), we have small kids and I'm not comfortable with it in our home.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 AM

107 posts, read 262,271 times
We had a national chain company for two years that was horrible. We constantly had scorpions (at least one a week in the house) and the spray they used made our cat sick.

We switched last year to Bulwark. Not a single scorpion or bug since, and our neighbors are still seeing scorpions. And kitty is no longer getting sick.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 AM

483 posts, read 601,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
We had a national chain company for two years that was horrible. We constantly had scorpions (at least one a week in the house) and the spray they used made our cat sick.

We switched last year to Bulwark. Not a single scorpion or bug since, and our neighbors are still seeing scorpions. And kitty is no longer getting sick.

do you happen to know what they use on the outside to keep scorpions out? Spray does not kill scorpions

Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 AM

777 posts, read 1,637,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
do you happen to know what they use on the outside to keep scorpions out? Spray does not kill scorpions
I'd be interested in this info too. We started using a company that uses all "earth friendly" or green chemicals when we lived in our old house. We signed up for a year long contract. It took them a few return visits to make sugar ants go away, but we were satisfied and happy not to use harsh chemicals.

Fast forward - we moved to a new house south of SA and the same company came out to spray since the year contract was not up. I'm convinced that we need to give up the "earth friendly" approach and get serious. We are averaging about 4 to 5 scorpions a week - in the house. And I concur - spray does not work. In fact, scorpions out here just laugh at scorpion spray. We have taken to grabbing them with tongs and humanely sending them down the kitchen sink with a little assistance from the garbage disposal.

Any recommendations for pest control in the greater Lytle-Natalia-Devine tri-city area would be great. I'll spray it myself!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,403,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
In fact, scorpions out here just laugh at scorpion spray. We have taken to grabbing them with tongs and humanely sending them down the kitchen sink with a little assistance from the garbage disposal. !
wha...what? Not sure whether to scream or vomit.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 AM

405 posts, read 316,002 times
We have a pest control company too. They are fine for spiders, etc. but they do not help with scorpions. You can buy something called Demon that is a powder you mix with water and then spray along your baseboards and any cracks/crevices. We still have scorpions (9 since March and I do keep
track as I really, really hate them!), but the good news is that now they are mostly dead/dying by the time they emerge. Funny thing is, our pest guy never heard of Demon, and it's known for use against scorpions so maybe the big chains just don't know much about them. Oh forgot to add that I bought the Demon on line. There are plenty of companies that carry it. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way.

Last edited by LVKim8; 05-16-2011 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: More details

Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM

23 posts, read 42,885 times
Food grade DE (Diatomaceous earth) powder around the perimeter of the house is good against scorpions and centipedes as well as other insects. When our customers start having scorpion issues I usually start using the DE powder and all is taken care of. DE powder is crushed up seashells or diatoms and it is not poisonous to us or animals, i don't like to breath too much of it though, use a dust mask when applying.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM

737 posts, read 806,216 times
anyone have a recommendation for a company/spray to use for fleas?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM

303 posts, read 522,605 times
We have been using a company called Pest Shield for a year. I was really happy with them for the first few months. My warm fuzzy feeling are fading though. I'm going to give them ONE more try though & if these ants are not gone then we'll be "shopping" for a new company. I've heard good things about "E pest" but have not tried them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio