U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM

94 posts, read 194,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
AP2011, the way I got the 26 dollar rate was by simply calling after my contract was up and telling them that I was going to cancel to save money, not go with another company just cancel. So they sent me over to customer retention and got that rate.

I went ahead and did this...and sure enough I'm paying the $26 rate now - thank you. Now, I'm wondering if I should switch to a non-landline option because I have Time Warner cable/internet/phone and they are still all messed up with Showtime/CBS.

Someone mentioned Smith Thompson for security, are there any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Switched over to Smith Thompson a couple of months ago. Installer came out to install the wireless adapter, and I kept waiting for the "upsell" to start.....never did. Looked everything over, told me that the setup we had was fine the way it was, and left.

$17/mo....was $25/mo for a landline-based system. Hard to beat, and now if some jackleg cuts my phone line and enters, they're in for a surprise!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM

425 posts, read 513,375 times
They're all the same.
Honestly your first consideration is finding the cheapest offer. Then you want to consider any accessories that you may desire such as maybe a carbon monoxide monitor or camera setup.

A lot of those companies come to my door trying so hard to sell when I first moved in my house. ADT was the first but their prices are much higher compared to the competition. And for what reason? I don't understand it.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Switched over to Smith Thompson a couple of months ago. Installer came out to install the wireless adapter, and I kept waiting for the "upsell" to start.....never did. Looked everything over, told me that the setup we had was fine the way it was, and left.

$17/mo....was $25/mo for a landline-based system. Hard to beat, and now if some jackleg cuts my phone line and enters, they're in for a surprise!

Yeah, I'm thinking about Getting Smith Thompson for our security system, canceling my Time Warner cable/internet/landline and getting UVerse for cable and internet. I already use At&t for my cell phone, so not sure it they have some deal or not.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
We've been very happy with Smith Thompson as well. No hard sell, reasonably priced system and I'm not sure monitoring could be much cheaper.

Anytime we've accidentally set the alarm off they've been quick to call. Really can't complain.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
We've been very happy with Smith Thompson as well. No hard sell, reasonably priced system and I'm not sure monitoring could be much cheaper.

Anytime we've accidentally set the alarm off they've been quick to call. Really can't complain.

Yeah, this may seal the deal. Was there any initial setup fee / hardware to purchase if not using a landline?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
We had an existing Brinks system which is proprietary and they had to change over the brains to something non proprietary.

They were able to still use all the existing sensors.

Changing the keypad, logic board and adding a cellular uplink cost me $105 including tax.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
The link system and first quarter of monitoring was like $100 IIRC - VERY inexpensive, and as noted - no attempt to upsell, etc. All of our stuff was compatable, and the installer flat-out told me that the "brains" of the system we already had were exactly what he recommends to folks if they DO have to change 'em out (as above).

I've been in sales since I worked in my parents' hardware store as a kid - so I'm VERY sensitive to ANY kind of sales pitch. Can't begin to tell you how pleasant it was to have a tech that was honestly there to ONLY do what was needed!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

265 posts, read 411,699 times
Before you get rid of your landline and have a cellular reporting only alarm system, check to find out if the fire alarm portion of your alarm system will still be 'monitored.'

As recently as two years ago, fire alarm systems were prohibited from having 'cellular only' means of communication and a landline was a requirement. That had been a long-standing regulation, lobbied for and secured by the telco's to ensure revenue. The laws may have changed since then, but I am not certain.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

37 posts, read 78,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Cheapest and most effective thing to do is take one of those little ADT signs from your neighbor's yard and stick it in yours.
I was wondering if I would see this reply. The funny thing is that this is exactly what my Father-in-law did, and he is a retired police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio