Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I have many friends that are looking for jobs in the San Antonio area. I also see that there have been quite a few people here in the forum looking for advice, as well. I figured we can post links to any job sites that we may know of that could be helpful for people looking for a local job. If you know of any, post them!

Government contractors:
Find Your Job | Booz Allen Hamilton

IT/Communications:
IT Jobs and communications jobs - technical jobs and IT careers from TEKsystems

Federal jobs:
USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

IT/Engineering/Design:
Welcome to Technisource - Technology Solutions, IT Staffing & Recruiting

Texas jobs:
WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

Finance/Accounting/Health Information/Clinical Research/Banking/Mortgage/Insurance/Technology Jobs:
http://www.kforce.com/

Last edited by doss1; 05-14-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Does anyone know of any public affairs/marketing/communications jobs?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:43 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
Type in your location and what type of work you are looking for.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Non-Profit jobs

The BexarNec May 2011 Archive by thread
Nonprofits Resources, Job Listings, and Nonprofit News for Texas | TANO
Texas Non Profits - Building Community Deep In The Hearts Of Texans
Employment Bulletin
idealist.org

I haven't found ANY on the bigger board like Opportunitknocks. San Antonio just doesn't have a presence. I've been job hunting for the past 3.5 months and that's where I've found most - if not all my jobs. Even Monster has been helpful.

Indeed can be somewhat helpful, but if not in the medical field in can be cluttered with the ever present nurse case manager jobs that seemingly always match my criteria.

Also, if you're an HR, PR, or Comm person seriously consider getting your twitter game together. There are a few communities that may be of interest to you. #HireFriday, #jobhuntchat and#HAPPO (Help a PR Pro Out).

There are a few active LinkedIn groups too, it's just a matter of searching for them. I can't link to them, but get set up with an account. For some fields you can't underestimate the power of social media.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi Ash, thanks for your insightful post. I was kind of biased against twitter and linkedin, but I guess I'm reading more and more how they are helpful in trying to locate a job.

I also tend to stay away from the big boards like Monster, Indeed, etc because they are nothing but spam farms and they just pull in data from other sources like usajobs, technisource, etc. The jobs can be expired, too.

Oh, I have had success in the past (and my friends, too) with using Craigslist! As a result, a friend of mine got a nice job working in Fredericksburg as a marketing manager for the convention and visitors bureau.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hi Ash, thanks for your insightful post. I was kind of biased against twitter and linkedin, but I guess I'm reading more and more how they are helpful in trying to locate a job.

I also tend to stay away from the big boards like Monster, Indeed, etc because they are nothing but spam farms and they just pull in data from other sources like usajobs, technisource, etc. The jobs can be expired, too.

Oh, I have had success in the past (and my friends, too) with using Craigslist! As a result, a friend of mine got a nice job working in Fredericksburg as a marketing manager for the convention and visitors bureau.

Go to the website Untitled Document and Corn on the Job to see that the twitter stuff is about. It's all in what you make it and how you use it. There's an art to it and you have to be good at it.

As far as Monster, I landed my last job through a Monster and had a second interview last week with an ad from Monster. When the EN went from posting their own jobs to putting them on hotjobs you kind of had to go to the big boards to locate the good ones from the paper. When Monster bought hotjobs you kind of now have to go to Monster if you see something in the paper or want to search the EN and don't subscribe now. It's a bummer.

I also cannot say enough about CL. Love it! Just be careful!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM

87 posts, read 220,124 times
TexasNick,
Definitely sign up for Linked In and make sure to post as much experience/background as you can (resume is ideal). I know the recruiters at my company are using this almost exclusively. Make as many connections as possible- it's all about who you know, you know??

Also, having a picture on there is ideal- the most professional picture you have. If you don't have a headshot- get one.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM

bump

Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM

206 posts, read 464,622 times
Someone recently asked me to help their kid look for a Healthcare IT/IT job in general, and this is what I sent them:
---------------------------------------------------------------

This one is our particular division, (HCA/Methodist IT)
Search for Healthcare and Hospital Jobs at HCA - Select Search

This is Baptist’s
Job Listings for Regional and Other at Baptist Health System :: Baptist Health System

These are their imaging centers:
Job Listings at Baptist M&S Imaging Centers :: Baptist Health System

This is Santa Rosa’s, which you have to register to see what’s available.
http://www.heavenlycareers.com/other_pro/default.asp

These are jobs on base/VA,
USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
USAJOBS - Search Jobs

This is for the NIX
https://ats.navicus.com/careers/jobs...ookieSupport=1

Rackspace
Rackspace Email & Apps Job Opportunities. Find jobs and apply online today

Career Builder, IT jobs in San Antonio, Texas
Information Technology Jobs in San Antonio on CareerBuilder.com

HEB Corporate
https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP...y&LinkId=89210

SAISD
https://winocularweb.saisd.net/appentry/

NEISD
North East Independent School District

NISD
Professional Jobs | Northside ISD Human Resources

AHISD
https://winoc.ahisd.net/appentry/

JISD
https://www.searchsoft.net/ats/job_b...PE_ID=00000001

HISD
Auxiliary

SWISD
https://hr.swisd.net/winocular/Jobs/

Bexar County IS Employment
Bexar County Information Services Employment (http://www.bexar.org/IS/Jobs.html - broken link)

Time Warner Cable
https://www.timewarnercable.com/corp...rs/search.ashx

AT&T
Texas jobs | Part Time and Full Time.

My advice is to apply, apply, apply.
Don’t be ashamed to take an entry level job, and don’t be ashamed to be on the Customer Service Desk or something similar, because once your foot is in the door you have the opportunity to grow from there. And once you even have a year of experience, you’ve already got more than the guy who doesn’t. And remember, anyone who has more than a few employees and a few computers needs an IT person, so look in places you wouldn’t think of looking. And once you get hired, take the initiative to keep learning. Employers notice that.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
monster/careerbuilder etc all sucky tremendously. craigs list is actually surprisingly a better option. i live in LA now, and i've easily found jobs from craigs list- had several offers.

for texas nick, i also graduated with a communication degree from UTSA. it depends what types of marketing, but just as a glimpse, try eventspeak.com and let me know if that's the type of marketing you're looking for and i can give you more sites and recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio