U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 AM

26 posts, read 23,513 times

Advertisements

At certain times a day my cable starts freezing up on me where the picture stutters or stops and the sound cuts in and out. I have had TWC come out 2 times already and they tell me everything is fine. Of course, the picture is working fine when they come.

Are there others in the area that are having this problem? I am trying to cancel my service but TWC is not letting me out of my contract without a $150 cancellation fee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
As far as Time-Warner is concerned, as long as the signal levels to your house are fine and the box is working in their presence, there is nothing to be fixed. I noticed that the problems you describe were more common after my cable box got warm, so I eliminated 99% of them by putting a USB-powered notebook computer cooler with 3 fans on top, where the vents are.

Last edited by Bo; 05-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: minor edit to last sentence for clarity

Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Have you rebooted the stupid converter box? That's what I've had to do, but it does seem to fix it for a while.

Geez - we've come SO far - back in the 70's, we had to have those stupid converter boxes to be able to watch TV. Now, in the 21st century we have......

oh, nevermind.....

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
sigh. with the recent changes to ATT 's dsl internet, i might have to go back to SCUM warner. since im about to drop direc tv in favor of netflix and local HD broadcasts, time warner is the only broadband provider that doesnt have a cap.. and i know with the amount of movies the wife and i watch, plus tv programming, we'll hit the 150 gig cap. im gonna let it go a few months and see if i do hit the cap. if i dont, i wont switch, but i forsee myself switching

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
I'm really happy with netflix and the local channels that my antenna picks up. I have time warner internet and it has a few hiccups now and then. They came out and replaced my modem a few weeks ago because I wasn't getting the speed I was paying for.

If you have a game console or blu ray player that connects to the internet, you can watch netflix right on your tv...they've even updated it so you can search for content from the tv. It used to be that you had to add things on the computer and they'd appear in your queue on the tv. The only downside to netflix is that it likes to stop in the middle of the movie and just say it's loading for a long time. When I call netflix about that, they say it's my internet speed.

Oh, and for anyone who decides to go with a digital tv and antenna, Turk antennas are the best indoor antenna you can get.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,299 times
tv freezes often for me and it is usually a sign that the box is about to crash and needs to be rebooted. Kids are always leaving that box on, so it does get hot quite alot. Unplug the black cord in the back of the box for 10 or more seconds and then it resets itself. Should work fine after that...

Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm really happy with netflix and the local channels that my antenna picks up. I have time warner internet and it has a few hiccups now and then. They came out and replaced my modem a few weeks ago because I wasn't getting the speed I was paying for.

If you have a game console or blu ray player that connects to the internet, you can watch netflix right on your tv...they've even updated it so you can search for content from the tv. It used to be that you had to add things on the computer and they'd appear in your queue on the tv. The only downside to netflix is that it likes to stop in the middle of the movie and just say it's loading for a long time. When I call netflix about that, they say it's my internet speed.

Oh, and for anyone who decides to go with a digital tv and antenna, Turk antennas are the best indoor antenna you can get.
i watch my netflix on my wii right now, and the wife is going to use her computer or the wii

thanks for the pointer on the indoor antenna, but i think i might mount one outside my front window... any suggestions on that?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,375,046 times
Just for grins go buy a good quality coax cable and replace the existing one that goes from the converter to the wall....

I had symptoms similar to yours including when I switched channels that stupid screen came up and said "not available at this time"

TW came out, everything OK, I cold booted the converter numerous times, no help.

I swapped out the coax cable and voila! no more problems...

Worth a shot.....

Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i watch my netflix on my wii right now, and the wife is going to use her computer or the wii

thanks for the pointer on the indoor antenna, but i think i might mount one outside my front window... any suggestions on that?
I thought about getting an outdoor antenna, but we get every channel that I want with the indoor one, so I haven't bothered yet. This is the one I've got: Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics It has rabbit ears too that you don't see in the pictures. I've got it sitting behind a giant fake plant so it doesn't show too much.

This website has good antenna info: AntennaWeb If you enter your address, it will tell you what stations you can expect to get with the different kinds of antennas and which direction you need to point the antenna.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM

looks like i would need a medium multi-directional antenna, as most of the channels are red. there are a few that are blue (3 total) and a few yellow/green (7 total).

im confused on the pre-amp requirement on blue stations. is that anything like the 1milliwatt booster i have for my wireless card, except for a tv antenna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio