U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times

Advertisements

Coal-fired plant slated for retirement as mayor, CPS foresee clean energy sources | kens5.com San Antonio

I think he does a pretty good job. This certainly helps his image of a good leader that provides a plan for our expanding city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default First Class FLyer,

The Uriah Heep of Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Dumb and Dumberer.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM

3,139 posts, read 5,157,678 times
If history is any indication, Mayor Castro will be elected to his third term in 2013 without any serious opponents, and to a fourth term in 2015 without any serious opponents. It won't be until 2017 when Castro is term-limited, that we will have a competitive race for the open seat.

Castro lost a close race to Phil Hardberger in 2005. Castro sat out the Mayor's race in 2007, and Hardberger sailed to victory that year, without any serious opponents. Castro entered the race again in 2009 for the open seat, and won against his most serious challenger, Trish DeBerry Mejia. Castro is then re-elected in 2011, without any serious challengers. He stated after his most recent victory that voters willing, he intends to serve two more additional terms.

In my own Council District (10), outgoing councilman Clamp first ran for the open seat in 2003, but lost to Chip Haase. Clamp sits out the 2005 race, and Haase sails to a re-election victory. Clamp runs again in 2007 for the open seat, and wins. Clamp is re-elected in 2009 without serious opponents. Clamp is term-limited, so couldn't run in 2011, so Carlton Soules prevails over his most serious opponent, former radio newsman Bud Little, for the open seat. I can't recall any previous District 10 incumbent who ran for re-election, but was defeated.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default Election Patterns,

I see what you mean. Think it will repeat again? However this is not as obvious a pattern as the Good Government League's were in the fifties. Those were crooked mayoral elections, held here in S.A. None of that anymore.
How about this election result ?
LBJ won his first senate race against Coke Stevenson the governor of Texas in 1948 by 87 votes out of over 900,000 cast. 200 votes were written in alphabetical order in the same ink from the same county in south Texas. Duval County near Alice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If history is any indication, Mayor Castro will be elected to his third term in 2013 without any serious opponents, and to a fourth term in 2015 without any serious opponents. It won't be until 2017 when Castro is term-limited, that we will have a competitive race for the open seat.

Castro lost a close race to Phil Hardberger in 2005. Castro sat out the Mayor's race in 2007, and Hardberger sailed to victory that year, without any serious opponents. Castro entered the race again in 2009 for the open seat, and won against his most serious challenger, Trish DeBerry Mejia. Castro is then re-elected in 2011, without any serious challengers. He stated after his most recent victory that voters willing, he intends to serve two more additional terms.

In my own Council District (10), outgoing councilman Clamp first ran for the open seat in 2003, but lost to Chip Haase. Clamp sits out the 2005 race, and Haase sails to a re-election victory. Clamp runs again in 2007 for the open seat, and wins. Clamp is re-elected in 2009 without serious opponents. Clamp is term-limited, so couldn't run in 2011, so Carlton Soules prevails over his most serious opponent, former radio newsman Bud Little, for the open seat. I can't recall any previous District 10 incumbent who ran for re-election, but was defeated.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Last edited by huckster; 06-21-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM

431 posts, read 641,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Coal-fired plant slated for retirement as mayor, CPS foresee clean energy sources | kens5.com San Antonio

I think he does a pretty good job. This certainly helps his image of a good leader that provides a plan for our expanding city.
horrible idea

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 AM

272 posts, read 559,625 times
Still wondering how he will make San Antonio No Kill by 2012. It's the majority of the people's morale that needs to be fixed here, not just the animals alone. I agree wasn't much of a competition

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post

This WILL make our electric bills go up and by more than the $2.25/month figure that they're tossing around.

It costs more everywhere on this planet to produce electricity with solar power than it does with coal and nuclear, much more. Although I appreciate that the mayor is trying to push the city into the national forefront of something, I'm really concerned that he's not being completely honest about how much it's going to cost us.

And remember that I said this in a few years when your June CPS bill is $100 or more higher than your June 2011 bill.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
Exact same thing I thought. These "green" politicians are never a good thing and you know they don't actually care about the environment. Never trusted this fool before and trust him even less after this..

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times
Eh, I am not too worried about it although I see where ya'll are coming from Can't be any worse than former mayors we have had. Especially the one that cost us other pro sports teams coming to town. If you have lived here for awhile you know who I am talking about. Grrr.....

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
or that other former mayor that pretty much caused the current housing crisis.. talk about a piece of garbage.

actually, it could be the same former mayor, but I don't know exactly what the pro sports teams story is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or