Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust the San Antonio Police Department?
Yes, I trust the SAPD 42 38.89%
No, I do not trust the SAPD 66 61.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
An uninformed opinion is not necessarily a right one, and it sure as hell doesn't make it a fact. I was actually hoping for a more enlightened response but I should have known better. A few bad apples are being touted as proof that the entire department is corrupt, and that is nowhere near the truth. I challenge those who make such assumptions to gather real evidence to support their claims but they know they can't. I don't see the results of this informal poll as being anything close to the truth, just a sad testimonial of some of the people who frequent this forum...
This is a poll of people's opinions.

The only fact here is that some people trust the police, and others don't.

Not a surprise.

If the police don't enforce laws among themselves unless it can't be covered up or ignored with "professional courtesy", then those bad apples are proof that the police aren't doing their jobs. The real problem seems to be that a lot of cops think they can do anything they want, because no one is going to arrest them. "Do as I say, not as I do," just like a bad parent or a dictator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
An uninformed opinion is not necessarily a right one, and it sure as hell doesn't make it a fact. I was actually hoping for a more enlightened response but I should have known better. A few bad apples are being touted as proof that the entire department is corrupt, and that is nowhere near the truth. I challenge those who make such assumptions to gather real evidence to support their claims but they know they can't. I don't see the results of this informal poll as being anything close to the truth, just a sad testimonial of some of the people who frequent this forum...
I don't like the results of this poll any more than you do but if the results were in favor of SAPD, then you would be singing a different tune.

Not trying to be rude but you basically gained nothing to back up the praises you dole out of the police based on the result of this poll you are conducting.

On the positive side, I still belive that SAPD is way better than BCSD or any of those other small town PD nearby.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Quote:
The only problem with your poll is the extremely low sampling rate considering the population of the area.

I can only base my own opinion on my personal experience and that of friends
who have reported to me their own personal experience.

Note that I don't count being blocked in by a cruiser as necessarily a bad experience and a reason to distrust the SAPD.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,305 times
You asked for opinions and then insult posters who volunteered theirs because the results did not align with your own..."I was actually hoping for a more enlightened response but I should have known better." lol...riggghhttt.

I think we all know that the ENTIRETY of any given police dept. is NOT corrupt, but there is enough corruption to substantiate ones distrust in the police. For every crime or misuse/abuse of power on the part of the PD that is brought to the attention of the public trust & believe there are many other instances that go unreported (due to fear or retaliation/disbelief) or simply covered up.

A quick Google search led me to this article.

San Antonio Current - NEWS+FEATURES: A cure for the blues?

It would be nice if the public's perception of the police were positive, unfortunately it's not because we have seen with our own eyes the gross abuse of power they exhibit. They coerce confessions, beat citizens, unjustly kill citizens, speed, write bogus tickets, falsify reports, tamper with evidence, lie for one another, rape men & women, molest children, etc. This isn't solely endemic to SAPD, but they certainly fall under that umbrella with the rest of them.

If you want me to respect the authority and power of the badge you had better start asking those who don the badge to do so first. "To whom much is given, much is expected."

Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
That's just low beyond low. Don't get the results you're expecting, so you blame it on the respondents. That's one way to guarantee a lack of participation next time for sure...

and who's opinion is uninformed exactly? Since we're calling out people, how about saying some names? and while we're at it, how about giving some credility to the statement by listing everything that makes your opinion THE informed opinion..

Here's my experience with SA LE (sapd, bcsd, and two constables) since I moved here in 2001:
* pulled over for speeding by sapd. I was speeding, but the officer never said one word to me. He literally did not say anything at all, even when I asked him a question. That's rude and a sign of someone not to trust.
* called 911 in the middle of the night because a drunk ran through my neighbor's fence. BCSD responded within about 20 minutes, talked to the drunk, and let her parents take her home. Absolutely repulsive and I wish I would've known that was how it was going to end because I would've been there to watch it instead of assuming the deputy would take care of things.
* called 911 when my daughter's friend's car was hit by a bullet in Westcreek. They responded in about 20 minutes again and told me that wasn't a bullet that hit the car. I asked what else it could've been and he said a rock. I've seen rocks hit cars moving at freeway speeds and they did not do this type of damage. Bullets hitting steel do that type of damage.
* pulled over by sapd on 151 for illegal lane change. I had to quickly change lanes to avoid being hit and the pig lied and said he counted 7 lane changes without a signal even though I was coming from Lackland and he was coming from highway 90. Same cop followed me almost all the way home after I spanked his sorry liar a$$ in court.
* pulled over by a constable because he didn't like my driving. I was following him the entire time doing exactly what he was doing. This pig decided to slam on his brakes while in front of me just to make a statement I guess. That was how he pulled me over. Professional behavior or pig that deserves to be called a pig? I call him a pig.
* called 911 to report a drunk that almost hit me when I was working a mid shift. Was following him and giving the operator directions for over 5 minutes, but nobody could find the time to respond. I had to break off because it was no longer safe to be around him.
* called 911 to report a road rage incident. Only real issue with this was the fact that it took at least 30 minutes to respond and this was at Military/90.
* pulled over by another constable that could've swore I didn't signal for a lane change. I did and it was actually a pretty funny conversation. I liked this guy and could understand how it may have looked that way with a curve and everything. By far the best experience with any LE in SA so far, which is sad..

That's it so far, but I'm sure there will be more and if I was a betting man, my money would be on them sucking yet again. Now go ahead and say that I just happened to have really REALLY bad luck when it came to the LE I had experiences with. I've lived less than 25% of my life in SA and have never had unpleasant experiences like this before. If this was the only place I've lived, I would most definitely never trust any cop anywhere for anything.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That's just low beyond low. Don't get the results you're expecting, so you blame it on the respondents. That's one way to guarantee a lack of participation next time for sure...

and who's opinion is uninformed exactly? Since we're calling out people, how about saying some names? and while we're at it, how about giving some credility to the statement by listing everything that makes your opinion THE informed opinion..

Here's my experience with SA LE (sapd, bcsd, and two constables) since I moved here in 2001:
* pulled over for speeding by sapd. I was speeding, but the officer never said one word to me. He literally did not say anything at all, even when I asked him a question. That's rude and a sign of someone not to trust.
* called 911 in the middle of the night because a drunk ran through my neighbor's fence. BCSD responded within about 20 minutes, talked to the drunk, and let her parents take her home. Absolutely repulsive and I wish I would've known that was how it was going to end because I would've been there to watch it instead of assuming the deputy would take care of things.
* called 911 when my daughter's friend's car was hit by a bullet in Westcreek. They responded in about 20 minutes again and told me that wasn't a bullet that hit the car. I asked what else it could've been and he said a rock. I've seen rocks hit cars moving at freeway speeds and they did not do this type of damage. Bullets hitting steel do that type of damage.
* pulled over by sapd on 151 for illegal lane change. I had to quickly change lanes to avoid being hit and the pig lied and said he counted 7 lane changes without a signal even though I was coming from Lackland and he was coming from highway 90. Same cop followed me almost all the way home after I spanked his sorry liar a$$ in court.
* pulled over by a constable because he didn't like my driving. I was following him the entire time doing exactly what he was doing. This pig decided to slam on his brakes while in front of me just to make a statement I guess. That was how he pulled me over. Professional behavior or pig that deserves to be called a pig? I call him a pig.
* called 911 to report a drunk that almost hit me when I was working a mid shift. Was following him and giving the operator directions for over 5 minutes, but nobody could find the time to respond. I had to break off because it was no longer safe to be around him.
* called 911 to report a road rage incident. Only real issue with this was the fact that it took at least 30 minutes to respond and this was at Military/90.
* pulled over by another constable that could've swore I didn't signal for a lane change. I did and it was actually a pretty funny conversation. I liked this guy and could understand how it may have looked that way with a curve and everything. By far the best experience with any LE in SA so far, which is sad..

That's it so far, but I'm sure there will be more and if I was a betting man, my money would be on them sucking yet again. Now go ahead and say that I just happened to have really REALLY bad luck when it came to the LE I had experiences with. I've lived less than 25% of my life in SA and have never had unpleasant experiences like this before. If this was the only place I've lived, I would most definitely never trust any cop anywhere for anything.
Just think. Some of your tax dollars went towards his gov't brainwashing. Sure did a good job, eh?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
I would like to get an idea of how people feel about this topic. It has been debated in numerous threads, and there are several individuals who feel strongly on both sides.

So, a simple question...in general, do you trust the San Antonio Police Department?

Thanks for your input. How each person votes will be kept anonymous.

Cheers! M2
I wouldn't really trust ANY police dept, but I saw on the 6 oclock news that one of the "finest" was making fun of a gay man who wanted to report his partner as a missing person. The partner was distraught and then the policeman joked "did you look in the closet?" typical mentality of a policeman.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
I would like to get an idea of how people feel about this topic. It has been debated in numerous threads, and there are several individuals who feel strongly on both sides.

So, a simple question...in general, do you trust the San Antonio Police Department?

Thanks for your input. How each person votes will be kept anonymous.

Cheers! M2

As a law abiding citizen who is never in trouble. I have been stopped by the police for minor incidents, i.e. light out, expired sticker. Never speeding or passing lights etc. Everytime they have been professional and friendly.

I certainly trust them. However I am sure there may be some like with any other profession that are not completely honest, I just can not say that I do not trust them - I have nothing to base that on.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Wow, it's 35/65 now. Quite a difference from before I left the country. Interesting.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Some posts from this thread were moved to: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...lice-dept.html

Use the new thread to discuss your experiences with those two agencies. Use this thread to discuss the poll and whether you trust SAPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio