Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times

Advertisements

Well, poopycat, you could just try a Valvoline, unless you KNOW that you're not going to pass for some reason. I do my other cars at them and they pass just fine. Usually 10 minutes or less if there's not much action going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 AM

33 posts, read 147,463 times
Hey I have the same question. Will be bringing a car from out of state as well (Hawaii) and was wondering what info do I need at the of vehicle inspection. Here in Hawaii residents need current registration and proof of insurance for safety check. Do I get the registration first or do the safety check first?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times
I think registration comes first. When you go to the safety check, they ask for proof of registration and insurance.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,168,462 times
New Texas residents must have their vehicle inspection before the registration. Proof of liability insurance is required.
New Residents

Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
My car last year couldn't go in reverse and the inspection station on Perrin Beitel passed it.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,650,155 times
Theres several places on the west side that will pass your car

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM

392 posts, read 745,961 times
It's interesting that you register at a tax office or courthouse here. We went to the Office of Motor Vehicles in Louisiana. I'm going to have to get my car registered here in Texas in the next week or two... I wish I could keep my cool specialty plate in Louisiana as a keepsake, but those folks make you send back any plate and un-register, or they flag your license. Then if/when I move back to my beloved homeland, I'll have problems at the OMV... Dang it.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,672,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Hmmm...guess I'll have to find a Ford dealer around here. Thanks for the responses
You dont need to go to the dealer. Soviet is just on another one of his rants. (see any post about speed limits) The red, white and blue painted sheds are just fine. They'll check the wipers, lights (working and not cracked), brakes, window tint, and gas cap, and horn. Unless you are trying to get over on something, anywhere that does inspections will have you in and out in less than 10 mins and under $20.

I agree that they are really nothing but revenue generators, but I guess little things like this are better than a state income tax!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,620,589 times
If you keep your car maintenance up then you don't have to worry about passong the inspection. I already know from years and years of experience what they are looking for and make sure they don't find it! Check all your lights, horn, wipers, tires, brakes and be sure they are all in working order. I always go the the OIS (Blue painted sheds) and I'm in and out of there..last year $18.00. Just be prepared! You only need to show proof of insurance. (get all the built up grime off of your headlamps because some places are checking that you can see good at night).
Yes, this is all from a woman....been there done that!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM

418 posts, read 781,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Having just moved here from out of state, I know that I need to get a vehicle inspection prior to being able to get my vehicle registration and title.

Here's the part I'm not sure about: can I go just about anywhere to get the inspection done? When I lived in KS, the state did the inspection. On the department of public safety web site, it looks like there's a raft of private companies (oil change places, auto sales and service places, etc.) that will do the inspection. Is that true? Can I choose any one of these?

If so, how long will an inspection take, and how hard is it to pass? Not sure if it takes all day. If it does, then I'm better off at a repair shop that can drop me off at work and pick me up at the end of the day rather than waiting around.

Finally, assuming I pass the inspection, the web site says I have to go to the county tax office to get the registration/title/plates. Is there only one in town? Or are there several offices?

Thanks for your help.
When I first arrived down here from Canada the 2001 Dodge Neon that I drove down in passed the inspection no problem, but not first without paperwork from HomeLand security that the vehicle could be imported and operated in the United States. For that I took it out to the airport.

I went to the Bradzoil place on Borgfeld in Schertz for the state inspection.

Inspections are certainly understandable for older vehicles, but I find it really odd that my brand new Honda from the factory needed to pass an inspection.

There really should be a grace period for new vehicles... of course the lights, brakes, horn, seat belts and other safety related items are going to be in proper order and working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio