U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM

824 posts, read 1,605,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
The problem with San Antonio is that this city does not have a lot of "corporate jobs", at least not enough compared to the other large cities in TX. Less corporate jobs translates into less young professionals wanting to move here. San Antonio does have a smaller population of young educated professionals than it should have considering its total population. With that said, generally speaking SA does not cater to this demographic and this why many young educated people do not like living here in SA.

I have met TONS of people both transplants and natives who want to move out of SA as soon as possible. There are a lot of people who do complain about living here and I don't blame them either. Many are here for work and will leave once the economy picks up. I think SA is a great place to raise a family but it does lack the hip/cool factor that other large cities in TX have. Many of those complaining about living here, complain because they want to see and experience what they had back home (transplants) here in SA and they will never be happy until they come to the realization that SA is different.

I moved here to get specific work experience and plan to move on to another city/company to gain experience because I work in a niche field and quite frankly SA does not cater to young educated professionals.
I don't necessarily disagree with much of your post. SA does have fewer white-collar jobs than Dallas & Houston (of course, SA's about one-third the size of DFW & Houston). And it's nowhere as "hip" as Austin, although there aren't very many cities in the entire country that are as hip/cool as Austin.

But I am curious...since I wrote about it in my response...what part of town do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 PM

231 posts, read 731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with much of your post. SA does have fewer white-collar jobs than Dallas & Houston (of course, SA's about one-third the size of DFW & Houston). And it's nowhere as "hip" as Austin, although there aren't very many cities in the entire country that are as hip/cool as Austin.

But I am curious...since I wrote about it in my response...what part of town do you live in?
I live in Stone Oak, I dont know if this is the coolest part of the city but I chose to live here as I got a really good deal on an apt plus I am super close to were I work. Some of my coworkers are jealous of me because it takes them 25-30 mins to get to work while i live almost down the street from where I work.

This city is what you make of it just like anything else in life.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,249,506 times
Quote:
The problem with San Antonio is that this city does not have a lot of "corporate jobs”. Less corporate jobs translates into less young professionals wanting to move here.
Ironically, SA actually has a good amount of corporations but they look elsewhere for talents and a lot of talents do not want to live in SA. In order to attract talents, SA has to offer something that would attract them to come. SA needs to turn the city’s perception and its old ways of thinking in order for the talents to want to relocate to SA. Until that happens, it is a catch-22 situation.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM

486 posts, read 871,828 times
Quote:
I think SA is a great place to raise a family but it does lack the hip/cool factor that other large cities in TX have.
Cool City is overrated. Hip City is overrated. I have cool, hip wife and kids and that good enough...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Ironically, SA actually has a good amount of corporations but they look elsewhere for talents and a lot of talents do not want to live in SA. In order to attract talents, SA has to offer something that would attract them to come. SA needs to turn the city’s perception and its old ways of thinking in order for the talents to want to relocate to SA. Until that happens, it is a catch-22 situation.
I am going to have disagree with you partially. SA does have its fair share of corporations but nothing compared to the other large TX cities. Even if a certain large corporation does have a presence here, it will usually stick its call center operations or other low level/low wage operations in SA. This city has a small town mentality which is not a bad thing but at the same time this includes a mentality where education is not stressed in the family so what you have is a city (generally speaking) that does not have high education levels thus corporations will not relocate to SA as this city does not have the right demographics of education/skill/talent to pull from. SA has one of the lowest levels of education in the country when you consider its size.

SA has a large population of Hispanics/Latinos/Mexicans, the Hispanic community is notorious for not stressing education in the home. Are there hispanics who go on to higher education? Yes. Compared to other races/ethnic groups Hispanics have a lot of catching up to do. I blame SA's low levels of education on its small town mentality and its large Hispanic population which generally speaking does not stress education in the home and thus SA has a large population of uneducated people which in turn does not entice corporations to move here.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Cool City is overrated. Hip City is overrated. I have cool, hip wife and kids and that good enough...
you have proved my point exactly, SA is great for families but not so much for young educated professionals who want hip/cool in a city

Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM

486 posts, read 871,828 times
Quote:
you have proved my point exactly, SA is great for families but not so much for young educated professionals who want hip/cool in a city

You missed my point entirely. Are you hip? are you cool? if not, then why do expect the city to give that to you? If you are, that should be good enough...

Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM

418 posts, read 689,572 times
From my experience... seems like either Vancouver, BC Canada or New York City would be better choices for a younger person.

But, sometimes we need to go where the career takes us... if we happen to land up in a "cool hip" city then great.

I certainly enjoyed my time in Vancouver where I lived downtown and was able to walk everywhere.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I live in Stone Oak, I dont know if this is the coolest part of the city but I chose to live here as I got a really good deal on an apt plus I am super close to were I work. Some of my coworkers are jealous of me because it takes them 25-30 mins to get to work while i live almost down the street from where I work.

This city is what you make of it just like anything else in life.
That's what I suspected. You're living smack in the middle of the most suburban/generic part of SA. It would be like living in Round Rock, or Plano, or Sugarland, and concluding that Austin, Dallas, and/or Houston don't have a "cool/hip" factor or attract young/educated professionals.

Clearly, you valued a "good deal" on your apartment over finding a great neighborhood to live in. And that's fine; people prioritize different things.

But the fact is that you live & work in suburban sprawl, and your experience is not going to be representative of San Antonio.

There's cool stuff here (albeit on a smaller scale than the other big cities in TX). But you're not gonna find it at the intersection of 281 & 1604.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
You're incorrect. There are, literally, hundreds of thousands of people (of all stripes) that have moved to SA within the last decade.

And the city has changed, and is changing, for the better. But, as per normal, people like you would prefer to complain that we're not Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or