U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,149,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You're incorrect. There are, literally, hundreds of thousands of people (of all stripes) that have moved to SA within the last decade.

And the city has changed, and is changing, for the better. But, as per normal, people like you would prefer to complain that we're not Austin.
I agree somewhat with Quattro72 as well. There are some professional positions here but not in the abundance as in other cities. Slowly we are seeing a little bit of an increase. It does make me sad that a lot of college grads looks at other cities after graduation because their field of study does not have openings in SA. Granted, we can't every type of industry but just more avenues for recent college grads to tap into. It's very competitive at that crucial time right after graduation and for the ones that cannot find something in their field, the opportunity slips away as that recent college grad has graduated 1 or 2 years ago. So its either move to another city to gain that entry level experience or stay in SA and do something different in their major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 PM

705 posts, read 742,103 times
Quote:
You're incorrect. There are, literally, hundreds of thousands of people (of all stripes) that have moved to SA within the last decade.

And the city has changed, and is changing, for the better. But, as per normal, people like you would prefer to complain that we're not Austin.

I agree with you that there has been a lot of people who have moved to SA but at the same time there has been hundred of thousands of people who have moved out of SA because this city is stuck in its small town mentality and offers nothing for someone who seeks a higher quality life style. For those who cannot see that is in denial.

Change? That is a word you locals are afraid to use and hear.

Last edited by Quattro72; 05-19-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM

705 posts, read 742,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
SA does have its fair share of corporations but nothing compared to the other large TX cities. Even if a certain large corporation does have a presence here, it will usually stick its call center operations or other low level/low wage operations in SA.
I completely agree with you. Call center jobs are exactly that – “Jobs”. For those who are more educated, they prefer a “Career.” Austin, Dallas, and Houston offer a lot more professional career and business opportunities. No doubt about that.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM

231 posts, read 397,559 times
Quote:
That's what I suspected. You're living smack in the middle of the most suburban/generic part of SA. It would be like living in Round Rock, or Plano, or Sugarland, and concluding that Austin, Dallas, and/or Houston don't have a "cool/hip" factor or attract young/educated professionals.

Clearly, you valued a "good deal" on your apartment over finding a great neighborhood to live in. And that's fine; people prioritize different things.

But the fact is that you live & work in suburban sprawl, and your experience is not going to be representative of San Antonio.

There's cool stuff here (albeit on a smaller scale than the other big cities in TX). But you're not gonna find it at the intersection of 281 & 1604.
most of SA is suburban sprawl, just some parts are nicer than others, everyone has their own preference.

Just because I live in Stone Oak does not mean I dont venture out of this area. Unless you live downtown, you are going to have to venture out at some point in time.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM

418 posts, read 407,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFL3 View Post
whats cool and hip is all subjective.

i find san anto very cool and hip and love most of it.
Yeah, I find it cool and hip that it takes me 5 minutes
to get to work and that the gas station and my bank
are on my route.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM

824 posts, read 1,137,398 times
Quote:
most of SA is suburban sprawl, just some parts are nicer than others, everyone has their own preference.

Just because I live in Stone Oak does not mean I dont venture out of this area. Unless you live downtown, you are going to have to venture out at some point in time.
Most of every city in Texas (and the country, really) is sprawl.

My point is that where you work & live is not in an area where you're going to find hip/cool/interesting/cultural stuff. It's just not. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in SA.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 AM

231 posts, read 397,559 times
Quote:
Most of every city in Texas (and the country, really) is sprawl.

My point is that where you work & live is not in an area where you're going to find hip/cool/interesting/cultural stuff. It's just not. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in SA.
In your opinion, where are the cool/hip parts of SA that cater to young people?

I personally dont think there are hip/cool "parts" of SA that cater to young people, you are going to have to drive to one part of the city for this and to another part of the city for that.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 PM

10,334 posts, read 10,021,730 times
I'm a Southamerican, engineer, liberal, loves meeting people from all over the World, love going to the beach and eating seafood and absolutely hate slow drivers on the left lane.
Forgot to mention.... I absolutely hate the traffic on I-35.

That should tell you what I think about San Antonio vs Houston.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:21 PM

10,334 posts, read 10,021,730 times
Quote:
SA has a large population of Hispanics/Latinos/Mexicans, the Hispanic community is notorious for not stressing education in the home
Sorry that you have the wrong impression of hispanics.
But I can tell you that my community (venezuelans) are known for being highly educated.
In few words... we are not all the same.

Venezuelan American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Venezuelan American population is highly educated. Its members have bachelor's, graduate, and professional degrees at nearly double (48.5%) the total national percentage (27%), while only 6% of the group's adults did not complete high school, compared to 15.9% of the total national population.[1]

Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,505,946 times
Quote:
In your opinion, where are the cool/hip parts of SA that cater to young people?

I personally dont think there are hip/cool "parts" of SA that cater to young people, you are going to have to drive to one part of the city for this and to another part of the city for that.

San Antonio has hip cool parts, Southtown, Midtown area, Downtown in general. I think you need to read the beginning of this thread again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio